5-Year Data on Rotigotine Patch for Restless Leg Syndrome

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Laurachrissy

5-Year Data on Rotigotine Patch for Restless Leg Syndrome

Post by Laurachrissy »

DID Y'ALL ALREADY SEE THIS?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/747535

"August 4, 2011 — A new study is the first long-term prospective trial of dopamine agonist therapy in restless legs syndrome (RLS).

The study, funded by UCB BioSciences and Schwarz Pharma, manufacturers of transdermal rotigotine, assessed the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of the patch for up to 5 years in patients with RLS.

The findings suggest the rotigotine patch is "generally well tolerated with a good safety profile for up to 5 years," concluded lead study author Wolfgang Oertel, MD, from the University of Marburg, Germany, and colleagues."

"
"In contrast to most trials of intermediate-acting oral dopamine agonists, our study did not use the presence of daytime symptoms occurring before 6 PM as an exclusion criterion. Daytime symptoms while at rest were present in 95.5% of patients entering the double-blind phase," he said.

"The available literature supports the view that a significant part of the RLS population suffers from RLS symptoms during the day. Thus, in a large multinational survey 61% of patients reported difficulties in sitting still or relaxing during the day, and 57% reported that their daytime activities were disturbed by the presence of symptoms. Similarly, in other studies performed in the general population, clinically significant daytime symptoms are described in up to 40% of RLS patients."

"It is particularly important to remind the public that this is by far the longest prospective study ever performed on RLS," he continued. "In comparison, other drugs (dopaminergic or other) have been investigated prospectively for RLS during periods of at most 1 year. Thus, when evaluating the long-term tolerability of any single agent in RLS, we must keep in mind that we do not have other treatment or naturalistic studies to compare with."
RLS sux

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Very interesting to see the research done up to 5 years.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Is that patch available in the U.S.?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No - it was pulled a couple years ago due to issues with the adhesive. They keep saying it's going to eventually be re-released, but hasn't been yet.

It is in trials for Parkinson's (the adhesive is reformulated), so hopefully soon!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

helen1965

Re: 5-Year Data on Rotigotine Patch for Restless Leg Syndrom

Post by helen1965 »

A Rotigotine patch is one of the next possible steps mentioned by my neurologist when I eventually stop Ropinirole. I live in Scotland so it must be available here. Does anyone have any experiences with it? Any info is welcome.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Unfortunately, it was withdrawn so quickly here that few people in the US got to try it. I bet some of the people in the UK or Europe would know, though. We don't have that many members from Europe, unfortunately.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Helen, just thought of something. I'm not sure I'd take it if I was currently augmenting on another DA. I'd stop the ropinerole first using an opioid, get back to "normal' (whatever that means!) and then try it. But, that's me personally - I'd not want to risk another DA while being augmented.

Managing Your RLS

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Helen, I'm from Europe and the patch is available in my country. I have tried it of course, but I found it horrible. I became very depressed and had no brains left, even on the 2 mg dose. Gosh, it was awful.
I have read posts from patients about the patch. I wanted to know, because I do some work for the RLS organisation in my country. Of course there are patients that really are very happy with it, but on the whole I would say that for many it has not become a miracle drug. But of course, people on RLS fora are mostly severe, refractory patients.
But I would always try if I were you, because maybe you will be very pleased with it. I think it will be reintroduced in the USA at the end of this year?

Corrie