Nausea/vomiting....how do you take meds?????

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Nausea/vomiting....how do you take meds?????

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am guessing I have a case of food poisoning - I have no fever, nothing like the flu, but I am nauseous, vomiting, have stomach cramps, and have intestinal rumblings.

I took an Ondanestron (anti nausea med) when it first started, then another a few hours later, and yet one more a few hours later. My family was coming over for dinner and I was cooking for 12 people. I kept thinking it would get better, but it didn't.

The last dose didn't do much and I started vomiting within two hours of taking it. Also concerned about the conflicting info on my prescription, I read more about it. You're only supposed to take a total of three per 24 hours. I can't take another for 8 more hours.

But, it's night and I need my meds but I can't take my meds because anything hitting my stomach comes right back up. I am tired and could sleep if my legs were quiet...I was so busy earlier when cooking, cleaning, etc. that my legs were quiet. Now that they are gone I am going crazy!

What they heck are we supposed to do in these situations??????

And, did I mention that I HATE nausea!!!!!??????? (as if anyone liked it)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, good news is that after everything moved down and out or up and out, the cramping and nausea has ended and I can keep flat soda, dry toast and my medication down. Within an hour I should be able to get some sleep.

I've definitely learned not to take this medication during the day if there is a chance I may need it at night, or to at least make sure I keep better track so that I would have a dose to take so I could take medicine.

It also made me realize how grateful I was to have such a medication and that most of us wouldn't have such a thing on hand...and we can't take . I was given ondansetron (brand name Zofran) when I went through tramadol withdrawal and was quite ill. But, if that hadn't of happened, I'd not have had it to use at all. It and Kytril (granisetron) are the only two medications that I know of that are safe for people with WED and available in the US. But, they are expensive and prescription only.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Unless you were vomiting constantly, like every 10-15 mins. You should have been able to take your meds.

If there is an hour or two between bouts, it should have had time to be absorbed, unless it came right back up when taken.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

At one time when I was suffering from constant nausea I mention Sofran and Kytril to my doc. You'd have thought I was seeking the Holy Grail, he said these were generally used for patients having cancer treatment and were too expensive for general use.

Best I ever used for nausea/vomiting was Pepto-Bismal. Horrid stuff but it helped.

Food Poisoning hits so fast, like a sledgehammer, whhoooooosh. Like, where did that come from??

And in the middle of this - to be cooking for 12 !!

I hope you are in the arms of sleep ((( hugs ))))
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I know you can take birth control pills vaginally if you are vomiting. Haven't tried it myself but you get enough of the meds in your system that it will do as a back-up, but not for long-term.

Most vomiting meds are suppositories but I know Zofran is not for some reason. I was horribly ill when I was nursing and it's the only med safe for breastfeeding.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The problem was indeed that anything in came immediately out, Wayne. They say if you managed to keep it down for 30 minutes, you're OK regarding medication.

Because meds are so tightly controlled and because sips of water set off a new round, I didn't want to risk it. I do keep a small stash that I've managed to build up over the years, so I'd have been OK, but I do everything I can so that I don't dip into it.

After I was able to keep down small sips of water or soda for about an hour, I took 1/4 of my nightly dose. When it stayed down, I added 1/4 more, etc., until I had it all in and was OK. I got to sleep about 6 AM.

Tracy, interesting about the vaginal method of taking BC pills. Wouldn't work for a guy, though, lol. I looked it up and couldn't find any references to anything except BC pills and vaginal suppositories that are supposed to be used that way.

Betty, you are so right about the way food poisoning hits - it's nasty! I don't have any Pepto-bismal...but maybe I'll get some in case something like this happens again. It's not like it happens often, but to have no options when it does happen is not good!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

What an unpleasant night. I've never had that experience - the endless vomiting, I mean. I HATE vomiting, it must have been awful, esp w/ the assault of legs on top of it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

ViewsAskew wrote:The problem was indeed that anything in came immediately out, Wayne. They say if you managed to keep it down for 30 minutes, you're OK regarding medication.

Because meds are so tightly controlled and because sips of water set off a new round, I didn't want to risk it. I do keep a small stash that I've managed to build up over the years, so I'd have been OK, but I do everything I can so that I don't dip into it. ....

Sounds awful. I've had food poisoning only once that I can remember (pre-RLS). Bouts of vomiting every hour like clockwork for about 4 hours. Took Pepto Bismol when it seemed to be over to settle my stomach and went to sleep.

I don't have a reserve stash, must not be doing it right. My doctor only authorizes a 30 day supply at a time, usually with no refills. Once I accidentally dumped half the pills of a just refilled prescription into a wet sink. I couldn't salvage them. I had to call my doctor to authorize the pharmacist to replace exactly the number of pills that I had lost. What a hassle that was.

Lesson learned. Now I turn away from the sink when extracting a pill and make sure the cap is back on before replacing it in the medicine cabinet, which like most medicine cabinets, is right above the sink.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Getting the reserve stash was hard!

Wayne, I can't imagine spilling them like that - that must have been awful!

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Technically, if you can get your medication into a suppository, you should be able to take it and get the benefits, it's probably the most efficient route for opiates (next to mainlining or smoking) since you lose less to stomach acid, etc.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was wondering if a suppository would work - wasn't sure how one makes a suppository or if the medication would be irritating. I should have guessed that all alternative ways to take opiates would already have been identified!

It was an opiate night...but could have been a Mirapex night. I can chew Mirapex and might have been able to take it without any water and have that small amount not be noticed by my stomach. Just glad I don't have to find out right now!

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Also, next time this happens try sucking on small pieces of ice chips instead.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good reminder, Zach. I did try...didn't work :-(. Even the trickle of an ice chip would set off the gagging, etc.

Managing Your RLS