WENT ON SUBOXONE TO AVOID RLS WITHDRAWL FROM PAIN MEDS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lisalu67

WENT ON SUBOXONE TO AVOID RLS WITHDRAWL FROM PAIN MEDS

Post by lisalu67 »

But now have the same thing now that i am off sub....withdrawl is terrible for me ,never wanted to take the percocet to begin with..i was preg.and had kidney stones that were big to where they were not passing. Begged doctors to surgically take them but ..no. I am not a casual drug addict..do not like asprin. Never abused percocet while preg but after did not want to live without ....rls was impossible.went on suboxone to get off the percocet and now that withdrawl is so so so bad. Anyone have the same issue?

Chipmunk

Re: WENT ON SUBOXONE TO AVOID RLS WITHDRAWL FROM PAIN MEDS

Post by Chipmunk »

Does reducing make your WED/RLS symptoms worse, or is it "just" the physical dependency?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lisalu67

Post by lisalu67 »

I have had rls for a long time ..way before the pain pill thing. I get it from some twilight sleep meds for light procedures..otc cold or sleep med..the rls this time is from withdrawl from suboxone ..i talked to many people had same thing happen.I am 45 this month..hoping it isn't a sign of things to come as i understand and know persons with it that are on nothing.To answer you though this is from my dependancy only at the moment..i have stayed away from and been able to avoid this by not consuming coffee,sugar at night otc med...

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Did you go off it cold turkey, or are you trying to reduce it now? I'm not clear from your post.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

sounds like your reasonably sure once your body adjusts to the lack of meds the wed will return to bearable?
If so are you looking for ideas/support, etc. about how to get there?

lisalu67

Post by lisalu67 »

Chipmunk wrote:Did you go off it cold turkey, or are you trying to reduce it now? I'm not clear from your post.

i WEANED OFF SLOWLY..DOESN'T REALLY MATTER THOUGH BECAUSE ALL THE RECEPTERS UNPLUG AT ONCE ..EVEN ON SM AMOUNT.

lisalu67

Post by lisalu67 »

rthom wrote:sounds like your reasonably sure once your body adjusts to the lack of meds the wed will return to bearable?
If so are you looking for ideas/support, etc. about how to get there?

i AM LOOKING FOR SUPPORT IDEAS...WHAT'S WED MEAN OR STAND FOR?

rthom

Post by rthom »

Restless leg syndrome has had a name change recently to Willis ekbom disease thu the wed
i'm just getting used to calling it that! :shock:
the rls name wasn't very dignified so they finally got the approval for the name change.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Has it been your experience that your rls-wed subsides to a manageable level when you are unmedicated?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We really haven't had many people here - if any - that were going through increased RLS/WED because of opiate discontinuation.

I think that one doctor even questions if it's the same thing. I honestly don't know anything at all about it.

In a few brief forays into opiate forums for information, I've seen a LOT of people talking about the symptoms they get that sure sound like RLS/WED to me.

I just looked at some of Dr B's responses regarding opiate withdrawal - several are on this page: http://www.rlshelp.org/rlscomp74.htm . Reading through the lines, it seems that he distinguishes between RLS and withdrawal symptoms that are similar to RLS but are not.

If you had RLS prior to opiate use, it's possible the increased symptoms are RLS plus the withdrawal symptoms, I'd guess. He suggests that taking Mirapex or Requip should help IF it's RLS.

if you had no RLS prior to the withdrawal, it's still possible the withdrawal triggered RLS. Not sure how you'd know.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

Post by doety »

Hi: I didn't see your post, so I put up another post (it's the newest, if you want to look). I desperately want to get off Methadone and a reputable doc is telling me to take Saboxone. My concern (and sounds like it's valid) is that I don't want to get off one opiate and get on another that I have to withdraw from. This is horrible...I hear from everyone that Methadone is so hard to get off of. I'm looking everywhere for answers. Talked to Narcotics Anonymous and intend to go to a meeting tomorrow and see if I can find someone who's done this; and I have researched on the Internet. I didn't understand that one answer about all the receptors letting go at once, and that it didn't matter if you taper off????
My understanding is that when you get off an opiate you automatically get RLS -- even if you never had it before. The thought of having it worse when it's already hideous is daunting to me.
Maybe we should talk offline? Send me a private message if you'd like to. I'm just not seeing much about this problem, but I'm thinking we may begin to. I live in Denver...are you anywhere near?
I'm going to call a hospital that someone recommended and ask about going into a detox program. I really feel like a crazy person, I keep going to doctors, anyone that I think might help. But I'm not getting any answers. In the AA "big book," they ask the alcoholic is they're willing to go to any lengths to get sober -- I keep thinking about that. I want off.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Isn't Clonidine (a blood pressure medication) used to help with the RLS-like symptoms when withdrawing from opiate painkillers like methadone? I have that info filed somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my brain. It might be worth checking into.
Susan

rthom

Post by rthom »

yes, it was prescribed to me when i went off hydromorph earlier this year. It was to help ease the symptoms of withdrawal if i needed it. Didn't need it much but the few times i tried it it did seem to make me more comfortable.

badnights

Post by badnights »

To lisalu67:
I am going to skip back a few posts here, and repeat something that other people have said, only I'm going to be more blunt. Reading between the lines of your posts, it seems like you have a misconception that RLS (or WED, as it is called now) only occurs as a result of medicaiton withdrawal, or because of taking certain types of meds. While it is true that certain meds like anti-histamines can cause its symptoms to flare up, RLS/WED is a disease that causes symptoms all on its own. If you have the disease and you take no medications at all, the symptoms become more severe with time. (if you have the primary variety of the disease)

I think you might have this disease, from reading your posts. One of the most effective types of medication for RLS/WED is drugs of the opioid class. When you were taking the opioid, the disease was being treated. When you stopped, you didn't get withdrawal; rather, you felt the symptoms of your disease again, because you were no longer treating them!

Does this sound reasonable to you? In order to decide if you think you have RLS/WED (which is a disease, not a symptom of drug withdrawal), the best thing to do is to read as much about it as possible from dependable sources. Start with this simple, factual brochure: http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?id=2153
or a more-detailed description of the disease: http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=2112
and a small brochure that lists the medications used to treat it: http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?id=2155

The fastest way to deal with a problem begins with identifying what the problem is, so let's start there. The people on this board will help you as much as possible!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.