Mirapex ER

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jstep

Mirapex ER

Post by jstep »

Has anyone had experience with taking Mirapex ER after taking the regular dosing of Pramipexole? I saw Dr. Becker in Dallas, Tx last Thursday (recommended by Dr. B) and he has me trying Mirapex ER. Thanks Beth for the suggestion to email Dr. B. I was really encouraged by Dr. Becker, because he verified everything I said and had been experiencing. Finally, someone who understands and also has options for me. WOW. As I said, he has me trying Mirapex ER (has a much longer half life) . He gave me sameples of two different dosages, and I am taking the lower one now. The first two nights and days were great. I actually slept 6-7 hours for 2 nights in a row. But unfortunately, last night wasn't so great. He did say that it would be 3-5 days before I would know if it was helping. He also gave me Ambien to help with the sleep. I haven't taken one yet, because I didn't need it the first two nights. I definitely plan to take it tonight. I am having some break through RLS symptoms but so far not as bad as before. I also have a higher dosage to try if this doesn't work.

Just wondering if anyone has gone this route and what your experience was? By the way I also have Lortab which I have been taking today (maybe that's why it is not as bad as before?) If this doesn't work, the next option is to get off Mirapex or at least get down to the lowest dose possible and add an opiate.

Another question. Has anyone had the side effect of dropping off to sleep without notice? I had been falling asleep when sitting and watching tv, etc (when I was able) but I at least had the warning of drowsiness. Thursday night I became drowsy, decided to try going to bed, sat on the edge of my chair and remember thinking of what I needed to do before bed and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. Have a really big bump on my forehead and headache, but so far no major problems from the fall. I just had never had anything like this happen to me and it really scared me. Still not sure if it was the Mirapex side effect or just exhaustion. I'm trying to be careful until I see if this might become a problem. It is puzzling because the extended release formula is actually lower than what I was taking previously.

But as I said I am really happy with my new doctor and am supposed to call him in a week and see him again in 2 weeks. I was also told to call with any problems or questions. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Jamie

ViewsAskew

Re: Mirapex ER

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad Dr Becker is working out well. I only met him very briefly at the last RLS Foundation sponsored conference. I didn't get to speak with him much, but several people here over the years have had him as their doctor.

I haven't take the ER version, so can't comment on it.

I have, however, fallen asleep suddenly with the regular version. Once was while being intimate with hubby! Imagine both our surprise :oops: But, better than than hitting your head!

I learned that I couldn't have any alcohol with it or I'd either projectile vomit or fall asleep without warning. I also learned that I had to be at home and in bed within about 60 minutes. I could read or something, if I wasn't completely sleepy, but no wandering around.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jstep

Post by jstep »

thanks Ann.

I have a dilemma tonight. RLS/WED has broken through with a fury. I took an Ambien and now Lortab and can't sit still for very long. I'm trying to be very careful, but of course I am having to walk around at times. I was only able to sleep for 1hour, 30 minutes. I'm thinking this lower dosage isn't going to work. But I'm determined to give it the full five days. That leaves taking it tonight and then I guess I'll call and see if He wants me to go to the higher dosage.

Jamie

rthom

Post by rthom »

Sorry you are having a hard night i'll be here for a while if you just want to yap, :yawn:

jstep

Post by jstep »

Thanks Rthom,

Unfortunately, I was trying to watch tv after taking a lortab to settle down my legs, and I realized that I am seeing double out of my left eye. That is the side I hit when I fell. So my husband is taking me in to the ER to be checked out. I haven't had any problems from the fall until now. I am wondering if it might be medication related, but I guess I should go ahead and be checked. Thanks for your concern.

Jamie

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Jamie, please let us know how you are,
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jstep

Post by jstep »

Back from being checked out. As I thought, it was medication related. But my husband wouldn't take no for an answer. At least now, he can stop worrying about the fall. CT was normal. Not much fun being there while in the throes of RLS, but my legs did settle down a little.

Hopefully, the Mirapex ER will really kick in and start working. Might have to take the larger dose. I am a little concerned though about whether I will be able to take it. I am drowsy all day. I know some of this is from not getting enough sleep, but I think some of it is also from the med. I don't want to be worrying about suddenly falling asleep all the time. But I will give it a fair trial and just try to be careful in the meantime. I'm sure there is a combination that will be just right for me. Just have to be patient (something I have to work at). :!: :D

Jamie

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Glad to hear you are back home and OK.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, so sorry it's not working well, yet. Hope it all starts coming together soon. Glad you're OK from the fall.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jstep

Post by jstep »

Thanks Polar Bear and Ann. Dr. Becker had me start on the lower dose Mirapex ER, but gave me samples of two different strengths. I was really hoping the lower dose would work, but if I have a bad night tonight, I will probably go up to the higher dose. Guess I was just so hopeful after sleeping the first two nights . :?
Jamie

badnights

Post by badnights »

About the sleepiness, if you can stand the wait, give it a couple of weeks after starting the higher dose to go away (or ask Dr. Becker how long it might take for a side effect of daytime sleepiness to go away). Then make your decision whether to stay with the Mirapex or not. I gave up on pramipexole/Mirapex (regular, not ER) after 3 weeks because of sleepiness. (I wasn't falling asleep without warning, just drug-induced sleepiness). Maybe the sleepiness will resolve, or maybe you will have to try something else.

This whole process may take some time, so please, be gentle with yourself, and realize you can't expect as much of yourself as before. Make sure the people around you are aware of that, as well. I do hope no more experimenting is required, but hang in there if it is {{}}
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jstep

Post by jstep »

Beth,

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely trying to be patient, and I am trying to give the Mirapex ER a definite chance. I am due to call Dr. Becker tomorrow as he requested I let him know how I was doing in a week. I am still on the lower dose until I talk to him or his assistant. I will definitely see if the daytime sleepiness lessens as long as I don't continue to have problems with falling asleep without warning. The problem with the extended dose is that I can't predict when that might happen. It is hard to tell when it is without warning or just from being sleep deprived. So I will definitely hang in and see what Dr. Becker thinks. I hope I don't have to experiment too much also, but I am willing at this point to do what is necessary to find the most relief possible. I understand that the extended release form can be very beneficial because of the longer half life and my body doesn't have the highs and lows from taking several doses in a day. And Mirapex regular dosing worked well for me for several years and I adjusted to the daytime sleepiness with it.

I think I remember reading from someone's post that after starting Mirapex they slept well for a couple of nights then terrible for several nights then back to sleeping much better. I don't remember this happening to me when I originally started with Mirapex, but maybe it is what is happening with ER version. Ambien and Lortab helped me sleep better last night. I'm going to take a little while and write down all my questions tonight before I call Dr. Becker so I can receive the best advice possible.
Forgive my rambling. Thanks everyone for the input.

Jamie

badnights

Post by badnights »

It's good to write it all down, because the process of writing it helps to consolidate it and clarify it in your own mind, so you can be succinct and clear.

This disease seems to fluctuate in most of us, differing from day to day or week to week on some cycle of its own, so that could account for your differing responses to the med lately. Rant away, we've all done it and it really helps! It helps the listeners as well as the writers.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jstep

Post by jstep »

Confused?
Update on my phone call to Dr. Becker: He increased me to Mirapex ER 0.75 mg and told me to take a Lortab 5/500 and an Ambien 10 mg every night for the next week until I see him (which is tomorrow 2/2). He also told me to take the Mirapex ER earlier in the day somewhere from 3pm to 6pm. I did all of this and in the last week I have slept every night around 5 hours. This is better than before I saw him two weeks ago. But my daytime drowsiness is considerable. Also, I have been getting very bad headaches every late afternoon and night to the point of becoming nauseated. I attributed this originally to be from the fall I had. But I realized that the headache was occurring about an hour after taking the Mirapex ER . My symptoms from RLS are still occurring but less than before. I can handle the symptoms of RLS, but the headache and daytime sleepiness are not as easy. I am a little confused because before my RLS became worse and regular Mirapex was working, I did not have near the daytime sleepiness or bad headaches. I actually felt pretty decent on regular Mirapex, but to be honest not too good on Mirapex ER.

Guess I'll talk all this over tomorrow with Dr. Becker. Maybe I haven't had enough time yet for my body to fully adjust to Mirapex ER. Definitely willing to give it more time if needed.
Thanks for the chance to write all this down as it helps to clarify things in my mind before my appointment.

I have been catching up on posts since I was last on this board, and as always I have gained insight. Thanks everyone for all your posts (good or bad), as we all learn from everyone else.

Jamie

rthom

Post by rthom »

Just a thought about the headaches--don't forget tit increase your water intake to help your body deal witht he drug. I find it ususlly helps witht he headaches, until my body adjusts. Good luck!