Horizant

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jrowley

Re: Horizant

Post by jrowley »

rthom wrote:We'll be thinking about you. When do you do it? How long is it? :mrgreen:

I go on the 13th for my first visit with the dr's and it is a 90 day program...I am hoping that something will come out of it and at this point what do I have to loose...nothing has worked so far maybe they will have a different outlook on it and this new drug is my answer...when they came out with chatix for smoking i asked for it...everyone said you have weird dreams so I figured if this drug gets me to dreaming then i have found the answer to my leg jerks...since with my jerk every 6 mins i dont make it to rem sleep to dream....but it did the opposite i was awake all night tossing and turning :( ...so hopefully this will be the answer to my dreams....
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

ViewsAskew wrote:Good luck...and thanks for doing it. It helps all of us in the long run. I hope you get the meds and that they work.

Your welcome...if nothing else I have devoted my time to help the next person with this horrible disease :)

badnights

Post by badnights »

Well, I certianly hope it helps you as well! Best of luck with the trial.

and if that doesn't work, when the trial is over, get on something else. I am convinced you don't need to suffer as you have been
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

rthom wrote:We'll be thinking about you. When do you do it? How long is it? :mrgreen:

It a 3 month study rthom...hopefully there will be some good answers for all of us by me doing this...today I got a phone call from my doc after seeing him because of the pain i am experiencing and all he can say is take a multi vit and flexeril....really thats the help i get...i am so flipping discouraged about this it isnt funny...I need to work I need my sleep and I am so flipping tired of hurting all the damn time... :twisted: would someone plz hear me hear us when we say this hurts and we are tired...

rthom

Post by rthom »

:wave: woew, are you sure you be doing this? We all appreciate your gift --by trying to help, but not at the expense of yourself. If support is what you need we're here for you, but we'll be here whether you do the study or not. You are important and you're right somebody should be listening. It'll happen, Just be sure it's right for you. No matter which way you choose. Keep in touch.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

rthom wrote::wave: woew, are you sure you be doing this? We all appreciate your gift --by trying to help, but not at the expense of yourself. If support is what you need we're here for you, but we'll be here whether you do the study or not. You are important and you're right somebody should be listening. It'll happen, Just be sure it's right for you. No matter which way you choose. Keep in touch.

Trust me I am sure I am looking forward to talking to someone that understands the disease and hopefully there will be or is a drug out there that will help us all that struggle with the ongoing pain and jerking and sleepless nights from the old methods not working...I have been years without help so this is not by any means at an expense to me this is a cry for help and hopefully will help others along the way...I need a doctor that understands the disease not one that doesn't but tries to help...It will be fine trust me if the drug doesn't help or causes side affects then I am out and will quit taking it... :wink:

rthom

Post by rthom »

great to hear you are so sure, and i hope you find great people and meds. Are you allowed to keep in touch while the study is on (providing you don't talk about it) or do you have to keep your conversations with them? You sound like you have he strength and self awareness to carry it through. :mrgreen:

jstep

Post by jstep »

Jan,

Good luck, I really hope this works for you.

Jamie

badnights

Post by badnights »

Jan I hope you make contact with some health care providers who "get it".
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

mutdog

Post by mutdog »

I've been taking Horizant for several months and must say, it's been a miracle drug for me. Having had RLS for over 30 years, it progressively got worse to the point I was desperate. The pain, thrashing and UNBELIEVABLE urge to move my legs was severely hampering my quality of life. I dreaded each evening arising as that is when it would begin and be relentless. Finally, I went to a neurologist who recommended Horizant and gave me samples. It began working immediately and now I'd never be without it as the evenings are tolerable and I sleep through the night without thrashing. One side effect, however, is that I'm "woozy" the next morning and avoid driving until that wears off. My doctor is working to get my insurance to cover it...I am incredibly grateful for the relief this drug has given me. <3<3<3

badnights

Post by badnights »

Awesome! Nice to hear to good news. It's such a wonderful relief to get your life back, isn't it? I'm happy it works for you. It's fairly new, so there aren't a lot of stories out there yet, positive or negative.

timmccullough

Post by timmccullough »

I was taking Gabapentin three times a day. All it seemed to do is make me drowsy at night. I guess that is a good thing as I felt like I was getting better sleep. I was also drowsy during the day. I asked to be switched to Horizant with the hope that it would actually help my RLS symptoms. After 30 days, there was no difference as compared to gabapentin. I would still wake up in the morning with my legs moving. I had such high hopes for this newer drug. So much for the wonder cure. I guess I will just have to work my way through the list of other drugs. The Dr is now having my take 1-2 VICODIN at night. Not sure what it is supposed to do that is different. He claims that some people get relief.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

timmccullough wrote:The Dr is now having my take 1-2 VICODIN at night. Not sure what it is supposed to do that is different. He claims that some people get relief.

Opioids are usually quite good at controlling symptoms - and Viocdin has the opioid hydrocodone in it. They work differently than the anticonvulsants. I have no data, but would have to say that at least 90% of people here who try opioids find they work. The percentage is much lower for the anticonvulsants.

Vicodin, unfortunately, has acetaminophen in it. If you find that it helps, it would be better to take an opioid that doesn't have any additives.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

What is the problem with acetaminophen? I know it causes me to feel aweful and rash up and run lowgrade fevers but have no idea why.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

rthom wrote:What is the problem with acetaminophen? I know it causes me to feel aweful and rash up and run lowgrade fevers but have no idea why.

Sounds like you are sensitive to it.

The reason the RLS docs say it's not the best is simply because it doesn't help the RLS/WED and can cause liver problems when taken too much. Since it doesn't help, why tempt fate? A Google search provides a lot of information: https://www.google.com/search?q=acetami ... =firefox-a
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.