Rotigotine patch

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
helen1965

Rotigotine patch

Post by helen1965 »

hello everyone, I haven't been able to log in for a while, but here I am now. Since I last posted I managed to get my Ferratin levels up to 53 (they are due to be read again around about now and I do expect them to be higher), and I have been prescribed a 1mg Rotigotine patch instead of Ropinirole (some people here may remember how desperate I was to get off the Ropinirole because it caused augmentation). I start the Rotigotine patch tonight, coming off 1 mg of Ropinirole. My neuro told me it's safe to just stop the Ropinirole and go straight onto the patch. I hope this works for me, I can't stand the augmentation any longer. What I'd like to know is: the instructions state that the patch is intended to be used and changed every 24 hours. But if my augmentation disappears ( fingers crossed) then I will only need it at night. Now, taking the patch over 24 hours isn't in itself a problem, but the side effects may be i.e. sudden sleep onset, sleepiness etc. I have to drive during the day, and go to work. Sleepiness isn't an option, if it's anything like the sleepiness I experienced with Ropinirole, but then again, as I have gradually lessened the Ropinirole with a view to coming off it, that sleepiness wasn't as intense although it was still there. So could I (if I had to )just take the patch at night when I need it, or is it designed only to be taken as a 24 hour thing?? Would it not be as effective if I only took it at night? So many questiong, has anyone had experience with Rotigotine? Thanks for any help.

ViewsAskew

Re: Rotigotine patch

Post by ViewsAskew »

No clues to your questions, Helen. Hope someone else knows. It's been out of production for so long in the US that few of us have any experience with it. I hope that some of our European members have some experience with it.

I also hope it stops that augmentation.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I knew through this site that it was available in the UK, but have had no experience of it.
Sorry I can't help you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Ugh, post monster got my first reply.

A medication delivered by patch will give a small but steady dose over the time indicated. This is a great advantage for a sleep med as it won't wear off before you are ready to wake up.

I would try taking it off in the morning and see what happens. It won't affect your dose at night, but you may need the daytime patch to combat symptoms, or you might not. Never know until you try.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I think it wouldn't hurt to take it off in the morning. It's not important to keep steady levels of it in your body.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.