just started mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
new girl

just started mirapex

Post by new girl »

Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with RLS and have just started Mirapex for the past five days.

I am on the lowest dossage but noticed by the second night of taking mirapex that the symptoms increased dramaticaly. They last for about two hours and then dissapeared just as fast as they came on.

Since then.. I've had a lot of shock feelings.. sort of like a bee sting in many different locations of my body but the creepy crawly sensations are not a problem right now.

There is so much information on this board. I'm not sure if I should increase the dossage or go off of it all together? Has anyone else experienced something like this when they first went on meds?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi New Girl,

Many people have no problems at all with the DA's, but some of us have lots. That your symptoms increased immediately would concern me; but I'm not a doctor. It could be your body adjusting, but it could be augmentation, and speaking from experience it's not something you want to have!

I also started experiencing the bee stings after starting Mirapex. They come and go for me and I don't know if I would have gotten them anyway or not, but I don't have them all the time and it's been two years since I first started it. When I first started it I also had visable tremors in my hands, but that went away after a few weeks.

I'd carefully document it and call your doctor in the morning. If nothing else, since you just started, he or she could put you on Requip to see if the symptoms are the same, or on one of the opioids to see if it goes away. I'm a little pushy about this, but I strongly believe that the doctors HAVE to work for us and listen to us. There are too many wierd side effects and problems people have from these drugs - not to listen to you now could cause a worsening of symptoms and more problems.

Glad you found this site - hope you learn lots and hang around!

Ann

gugie

Post by gugie »

hey there Views

I am on mirapex for about 3 weeks now It seems to be
working for now their were a couple of nights where i couldn't
sleep but i think i've gotten used to it
i wake up groggy in the morning but it doesn't last very long
I still feel the sensations in my legs but NOT as severe and
they usually stop about an hour after i take the mirapex

I am concerned about the side effects of taking this stuff tho
i am 52 and taking a med made for older people with parkinsons
I <who lectured my friend for taking Zolaft> worry about drugs
that mess with your brain

ciao!
lots of luck
gugie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm with you on that one Gugie. Sometimes I question if I did the right thing starting to take the drugs, but then I remember what it was like before I did. . . I guess that until they actually develop drugs specifically for us, we are trying to pin the tail on the donkey with our blindfold in place, so to speak. As I struggle through my day today, forcing myself to accomplish things when all I want to do is sink into a lethargy of self-absorbed fatigue, I'm not too optimistic about my past choices, the choices we have available, and any short-term hopes of things being different. So, with that, off my pity-pot and back to doing something. I have two loaves of gluten-free bread rising, I'm off to dust. One thing at a time today until I can try one more night to get that elusive restorative sleep.

Ann

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

I've been taking it for a week and the second go around and it works good for about the first 4 to 5 hours of sleeping then by midnight i am tossing and turning all night and I have had leg pain and numbness with it. I am heading to the doctor today about it. The first time around i was taking .25mg and it did alright for the first two weeks then had the sleepless nights and pain. So they put me on klonopin made me extremely tired and still had the daytime pain and numbness, so the doc put me back on mirapex .5mg but still not helping.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

new girl

just started mirapex

Post by new girl »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate that a lot!

It's less than a week for me but with this huge increase of symptoms, I've decided to take myself off of the mirapex and look for another alternitive. I just feel it is not right for me.

The shock feelings that used to happen were pretty much in my right hip and in my big toes.. now they are everywhere and so many of them. The creepy crawly feelings are not as bad though. My sister started calling me crazy legs.. hehehhehehe.

Oh well.. I guess I'm on to the next thing. I'll let you know whatever that might be.

Thanks again!!!

sheila m

Hey everyone

Post by sheila m »

I am only going to be 38, I take mirapex although I don't remember haveing any sideeffects that I know of except if you don't lay down and relax and let it work it is very hard to fight it, I take .5 mg I also take another pill called amitriptyline for nerve pain but it doesn't always help either but I have other health issues besides the restless leg I am also a diabetic only on pills thank god I don't think I could give myself a shot cause I go to the doctors for a B12 shot once a month because my B12 was real low and she said I could give myself the shot I told her noway I'll just come seee you every month, I started haveing problems about 2yrs. ago and it only got worse I thought the doctors thought I was nuts but then I guess they started believeing me I am in pain 24/7 I also use a pain patch because perks just wasn't doing there job with the pain although the insurence company decided they weren,t going to pay for name brand and switched me to a generic I started have some bad side effects getting sick and throwing up the doctor said it was like I was overdoseing myself so now I have to wait to see if the insurence company is going to pay for the namebrand again if not it is back on pills again like I don't take enough of pills now that is my breakfast a handful of pills I feel like a ginnypig sometimes how about you guy's well gtg for now talk to you all later................ :)

sheila

Enola

Post by Enola »

I had to go off Mirapex.....gave me horrible insomnia. I am not on any meds...just on herbal tea, which is too weak for my condition. I have severe PLMD and strong RLS at night. Get 0-2 hours a night...literally get no sleep for several times per week. I am destroyed. I feel like taking my life. God help me.

New Girl

Just started mirapex

Post by New Girl »

Hi Enola,

I know that there are many here that can relate to what you are going through at this time.

Have you every tried any alternative therapies? I've gone to two hypnotherapy appointments and I'm finding an incredible amount of relief. This may not work for everyone but it's definetly something to check into.