Need advice on antidepressant/anti anxiety meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
JulieSOS

Need advice on antidepressant/anti anxiety meds

Post by JulieSOS »

I take Gabapentin for my RLS successfully 90% of the time.

I Have been on WellbutrinXL 300mg. for depression and Ativan for anxiety. It's not working anymore. I'm seriously a mess. I cry at every little thing. My anxiety is through the roof. I have an appt. with a psych. next Wed. and was wondering if there are any other antidepressant or anti anxiety drugs I can take?
I did go for a walk today and it did help. I've bought one of those lights for SAD and that doesn't help at all.

So far this is what I've tried and make the RLS worse.
Nortripylin, Trazadone, Effexor, Prozac, plus just cream Amitriptyline was systemic even though they told me it wasn't. I'm just so afraid to try anything else..which doesn't help the anxiety/depress... :(

Thanks for any help...

ViewsAskew

Re: Need advice on antidepressant/anti anxiety meds

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry you're having so many difficulties.

And, what I'm going to add isn't going to make you happier, I'm afraid.

There are no drugs that always work or always don't work. A study a few years ago found that all anti-depressants COULD worsen RLS/WED, but that usually, only 5 to 20% of people were bothered. The problem? You have no way of knowing if you'll be in that group or not. Trial and error? It's the only way.

Even those few drugs that aren't supposed to bother people, like Wellbutrin? Sometimes they do! It's infrequent, but possible.

The chemistry in our brains is so darn complicated.

For what it's worth, many people are bothered by Amitriptyline, so you weren't alone :-(. Bus Trazedone is on the list of ones that seems to bother few people. Go figure.

Besides Trazedone and Bupronion, the ones on the "work for many people list" include: Desipramine and other TCAs, Reboxetine, and Nefazodone.

I'll through out one thing that helped me. Unlikely that it would work for you, but who knows? I got to the point about 16 months ago that if there was a cliff, I'd have jumped. I didn't have enough energy to find a cliff, fortunately. Just didn't want to be here. I finally forced myself to the gynecologist for an overdue (by two years) annual exam and she tested my vitamin D. I'd been complaining that it hurt to sleep- that my bones hurt. It turned out that the D was something like 8 or 5 - can't remember exactly, but anything anything below 20 is considered low and many people say it should be at least 30, if not 50.

I look OTC supplements - 10,000 IUs a day - and within a month I wasn't quite so desperate. it took a solid year before I was pretty normal again, but I really was better very quickly. Light therapy didn't help me, either.

Who knows? Long shot but might be worth being tested.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

And just to add to the mix, I take Amitryptiline for fibro (1 year) and citalapram anti depressant (2 years).
I fought against taking them for a long time and eventually gave in and agreed to give them a go on condition that the doctor would be immediately willing to help sort out any increased RLS/WED. Happily I can say that I am unaware of negative effects from either of them.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I'd like to say something about Reboxetine. My neuro had already told me, but it doesn't seem to work for major depression. I have read articles on it in the BMJ and PubMed (maybe that is why it came out best in the research about AD's and RLS?

Corrie

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I also struggle with this, and I'll give you my experience FWIW.

I was on Wellbutrin for years but discovered it made my WED worse. It can also significantly worsen anxiety.

I originally started on 40 mg of Citalopram. That was extremely sedating, and exacerbated the WED. I tried about six others and finally came back to Citalopram but only 10 mg. That seems to keep the worst of the depression and anxiety away without making the WED worse.

I do use a SAD light in the mornings and find it does make a difference. This winter was one of my best yet. The light has to be 10,000 lux and you should use it as early as possible in the day for 15-60 minutes. I usually get 60 minutes in, but if I'm rushed for time I do 15.

Like Ann, my Vitamin D levels were low. I got a RX for 50,000 IU of D2 once a week for three months and I have recently started taking 2,000 IU of D3 (available OTC) each day. I hadn't been taking it for a while, and my WED was getting worse so I decided to try that. Immediately I noticed an improvement. I am a believer now and will continue with the Vit D supplementation indefinitely. You can overdose on Vit D though so you should get your levels tested first.

I also take Lamictal (lamotrigine) 75 mg at bedtime. It is an anti-seizure drug that is also used for bipolar and depression. My doctor was hoping it would help supplement the Citalopram while also helping the WED. It helps with the WED but not completely. I may try upping the dose but I think I will give the Vit D a chance first.

I hope some of that helps as you are navigating the med cocktail...
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I have major depression and have been on cymbalta for 4 years. I take a very low dose and it keeps my crippling anxiety and depression far away. Dr B would love for me to go off.....until I remind him that I had a suicide attempt when I wasn't medicated. Now that is something we don't need now...is it? All the factors have to be considered when making these decisions and the depression is something I need to factor. So we medicate around it. Something's got to give when the current situation just will not work.
jy13131

rthom

Post by rthom »

I hear that!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I agree - if an anti depressant drug is required, then so be it. Work the other medications around it.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

ViewsAskew wrote:So sorry you're having so many difficulties.

And, what I'm going to add isn't going to make you happier, I'm afraid.

There are no drugs that always work or always don't work. A study a few years ago found that all anti-depressants COULD worsen RLS/WED, but that usually, only 5 to 20% of people were bothered. The problem? You have no way of knowing if you'll be in that group or not. Trial and error? It's the only way

Made me happier you might want to hear (hello, btw!) I made the false presumption that SSRI's etc were pretty much automatically going to exhasborate RLS but 20%?? I'm calling my doc to load me up on samples and we'll go on a trial and error-fest until we find one that works. I was just dx with bipolar..

Hope JulieSOS is doing better. :mrgreen:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

How the heck are you, Hos?

I think most of us were surprised by the study. IIRC, some of them caused problems for as low as 5% of people. Of course, anyone could be in the 5% for all of them, I suppose.

Susan posted the study originally. I haven't a clue where it is.

My niece, who has WED, was just diagnosed with bipolar. She's on Lamictal and Trazedone. So far, so good. She's only been on them for ten days or so, but no worsened WED as of now.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Here's the link to the info studies that show ADs aren't as bad as we once thought: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1897&p=52530&hilit=antidepressant#p52530

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, thank you for the link on ADs.

I am testament to the fact that they don't always cause a problem. Folks familiar with my threads will know that I am always citing that for about 3 years I refused my doc's advice to try amitriptyline for sleep. When in desperation I tried it my sleep pattern immediately changed for the better. I also refused the advice to take citalopram and eventually agreed. I take low doses, amitryp is 20mg, and citalopram is 20 mg. Although I have had WED for 30+ years, most of that at 24/7, the two mentioned ADs don't appear to have given me a major difficulty. And life is certainly easier. It is no way perfect and I still get some breakthrough, but then I always had some breakthrough.

Thanks again Ann.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

So sorry to hear about your situation. I took some antidepressants before I knew that they affected my WED. It was also milder back then. I took Seroquel because someone told me that it didn't affect her WED. I didn't take it long, maybe a year. Then I came off. Then more recently I took Effexor. My WED was becoming worse, then I read about it and weaned myself off. Then they switched me to Remeron and it wasn't much better, plus I gained 50 pounds. As soon as I weaned off that the weight came off slowly. I lost my job. My stress in some ways decreased. We moved to a quiet some town. I qualified for disability. So I"m ok. My depresson wasn't as bad as some, but I really felt that I needed the anitdepressants at the time. I take ativan, 1 mg, just two tablets occasionally when I need it for my WED. It does help me.
Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck to you. DEB