Medical Marijuana

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dayandnight

Medical Marijuana

Post by dayandnight »

I have tried all the meds known to treat RLS; Neurontin, Horizant, all the DA's, Nupro patch, etc, and was told today, that because I go into augmentation so easy and have been taking 20 to 30 mg of Oxycodone per day for almost two years, that the only option I have is to completely get off of the DA I am taking (Requip) and never take it again. I am dependent on Oxycodone and that in itself is a problem, but the DA has to go first. Medical Marijuana seems to be the only choice. Anyone ever taken it for RLS? I have never done any recreational drugs whatsoever, and the prospect of having to take this, repulses me. Yes, an iron infusion is also a choice, but having worked in the medical field for 32 years doing patient care, I know the risks and complications of an iron infusion. This was all laid out for me by Dr. B. I have been going to him for 2 years and it has all boiled down to this. Ideas or comments?

Polar Bear

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by Polar Bear »

Like yourself, I have never used recreational drugs but is medical marijuana not prescribed under controlled conditions and as such is a medication like any other prescribed. I don't know anything about med marij and so there may be reasons not to use it that I am unaware of.

Is it Dr B who has advised that you should come off the Requip and has a plan been discussed to help you come off the Requip.

I think I recall previous posts on the subject and if you do a search you should find information with regard to medical marijuana.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

dayandnight

Post by dayandnight »

Yes Dr. B came up with the iron infusion and the medical marijuana options. I have to have back surgery in Sept, so I have some time to think this over. Dr. B. said no reason to come off the Requip and opioids now when I'll just go back on them post op. I have another appointment with him in Nov. The plan is to cold turkey the Requip,use the merijuana instead and taper off the opiods. I'll do a search as you suggested.

Teacher516

Post by Teacher516 »

Let me know if medical marijuana works for you? Doing research on it as well.

doety

Post by doety »

In Colorado you can get a "red card" from a doc, allowing you to go to "dispensaries" and pick out anything you want. I use a wonderful doctor who writes me prescriptions for this. I know that it is amazing for back problems -- one or two puffs on a joint and my back pain went away. RLS? I'm not sure yet. The doc said I was using it wrong. I let my red card lapse so I'm waiting on a new one. He told me to buy a brownie, eat 1/8 of it about 2 hours before bedtime and then to use a vaporizer and take a couple of hits. He's very against smoking it in a joint, he said that burns up the good stuff you need. I'll let you know how this works.

Teacher516

Post by Teacher516 »

I went to my doctor recently for a checkup and asked him about medical marijuana. He is against it. I guess, that goes that lol Would really like to know if it works though.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Teacher516 wrote:I went to my doctor recently for a checkup and asked him about medical marijuana. He is against it. I guess, that goes that lol Would really like to know if it works though.

It works well for many, but not all. Lots of people on the board, over the years, have used it quite successfully. It's not legal here and I can't afford to get arrested, so I haven't tried it. It also depends on which kind you use. There are two strains. You do NOT want the kind that creates the body high, if I remember correctly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Teacher516

Post by Teacher516 »

ok, well that is good to know, however, if my doctor isn't going to prescribe it to me, then guess I can't get it lol

doety

Post by doety »

When you say you can't get it -- I'm sure you mean legally. It's just infuriating to me that it's illegal, but I won't go into that. The first time I ever got it was from a friend who grew it to supplement her Social Security!! When Anne put a list of what various people have used (and their reactions) I believe about half the people who tried marijuana thought it helped. I did get my card, bought some "edibles" (a brownie and some little raspberry jellies), and I'm sorry to say it didn't work for me. Made me very hungry, I was high (which I enjoy -- comparing it to the wine, etc., my friends can have), but it didn't help me sleep. I was hoping to find The Cure, as always.

mykalsunrise

Post by mykalsunrise »

I am one of the 50% that smoking or eating marajuana did not help. If anything the high amplified the RLS in me. BUT I am a strong proponent of making it available to responsable adults. I actually took offense at the original posters use of the word "repulsed" to describe the feeling of having to use it to help with the condition. Obviously a bad choice of vocabulary (in my opnion) to use a word like that to describe a misguided opinion of the nature and benefit of medical marajuana.
You are a spirit that will never die, and no mater how beaten down, You Will Rise Again.

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

Hmm medical marijuana....that's a discussion that can get some people going. That being said...we can get Medical Marijuana here. I have a dr that wrote the script and it does help me to relax. It doesn't take the horrible feelings away...it distracts the mind from the feeling.. for a little while, it does NOT help me with sleeping at all. I do not smoke a joint...that is bad for your lungs. I vaporize it. It is a much healthier way to go about it. This is just me and how it has worked for me. I think if it is legel where you live it is worth trying it...I mean really it can't be any worse then all the legel drugs that all of us are on for this disease. It has been used for many many years and was legel at one time....then somebody decided it was a gateway drug and it was the cause of so many drug addicted people. I don't think that is true...I think all the narcotics that we all take are much worse for the body. There is a place for Marijuana in the medical field...it has been proven time and again. FYI...the one thing that it does work WONDERFUL for is the nausea that comes with all the legel drugs we take...it takes that sick feeling away for a time. That is why so many cancer patients get it. The Merinol that is legel that cancer patients get doesnt do half the good that the Marijuana does...been proven time and again.
So for me..yep it helps...but as I said only for a mind distraction and for the nausea...but it has a different effect on everybody.

I also have had the Venifor (iron) infusions..I had the Venifer because it is easier on the system and I was reluctant to take the prednisone that they want you to take before the iron infusions and you don't have to take the prednisone with the Venofer...the biggest drawback with Venofer is that you have to go back everyother day for a couple weeks where the iron is in one day...my ferritin was around 30..after the infusions it went to well over 100...I don't remember the number right now. It did help...it calmed the feelings down a lot. That was 2 years ago and my ferritin level is at 62 now...it is my understanding that WED patients need to have their ferritin level above 100 to help us. For the normal person that is too high...we are not normal..:)

I would at the very least give the infusions a chance...it can't hurt. Ask about the Venofer infusions if you are worried about the side effects.

Hope that helps you make a decison....good luck.