pharmacieuticals make me grumpy?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rthom

pharmacieuticals make me grumpy?

Post by rthom »

Anyone find their meds make them grumpy--not just blue but negitive. Also not having to do with tiredness or sedateness, just a neg attitude brought on by the meds?

Polar Bear

Re: pharmacieuticals make me grumpy?

Post by Polar Bear »

I can't say that I'm aware of any particular medication having a negative effect on me.

However, I have to qualify that by saying that I take 20mg citalopram (AD) daily. I did not feel I was 'depressed' just that things were difficult. But my dr felt that with fibromyalgia on top of the RLS/WED plus osteoarthritis - that it would be a good idea. I refused to take the citalopram for a long time. Dr said that apart from anything else, it was a good idea for anyone with fibro to take a low dose AD. Well !!! After 3 weeks it was like someone had switched on a light... I felt my sparkle come back.

I don't know if the meds have anything to do with it.
Or perhaps it is a case of anyone dealing with what us sufferers of WED have to deal with is bound to have times when things are negative, flat, a bit depressive, and hopeless.

I am not grumpy, I don't have a grumpy personality... but I certainly do feel better 'in myself' being on the citalopram even though it is a very low dose.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

rthom wrote:Anyone find their meds make them grumpy--not just blue but negitive. Also not having to do with tiredness or sedateness, just a neg attitude brought on by the meds?

Yes.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some do, some do not. SOme make me feel better emotionally. But, they almost all have some impact on me.

Makes sense - almost all of the drugs we take affect our neurotransmitters - these affect how we feel.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I hate having to decide between any relief from the wed and my "self". I'm not anywhere near the same person with the meds. So dark and have a hard time seeing the good in relationships. Even though I truely try to see it. It's like I can't trust my judgement about things involving gray areas or feelings.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I get that - earlier this year taking the Mirapex I really didn't want to be with my husband, nor be in the world. I was pretty miserable. Off of it, I'm much better. Fortunately for me, methadone doesn't cause psychological distress. Other opioids make me snappy and grumpy, but not suicidal.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

what a horrible decision to have to make, eh? Between the symptoms or the meds? Which is worse the disease or the cure.

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

rthom wrote:what a horrible decision to have to make, eh? Between the symptoms or the meds? Which is worse the disease or the cure.

The disease is always worse for me, I have no choice. Without meds the only thing I do, or can do, is pace. I just walk around like a zombie and that is my life period. I will occasionally fall asleep walking and run into a wall, or fall over furniture, or just fall down - pick myself up again and continue my aimless walking. Last night I went to bed around 9:30 pm and was jolted awake an hour later (even with meds) and it is now about 4 am and I'm sitting on the couch feeling lucky that the meds are working well enough that I am sitting here moving my legs without having to stand up...and meds make me grumpy. Now I have to decide if I am going to work - I think I will, just hope I don't have to interact with anyone while I'm there today. Happy happy, joy joy.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Mine is the same. I also spent the night up after getting less than an hr sleep. However the coment came from my recent trouble in the family that is partly because of my lack of happy times. I may be ending up without anyone because of this damn thing making it impossible for me to cut some stuff loose--because I can't seem to identify which i should and when. (If this happens I'll be homeless--thus the comment about it being worse sometimes)

I suspect it will be ok for a while at least--anothr family mtg is scheduled for this am at 10 to discuss my place in the family and what to do about it. :-(

rthom

Post by rthom »

Mine is the same. I also spent the night up after getting less than an hr sleep. However the coment came from my recent trouble in the family that is partly because of my lack of happy times. I may be ending up without anyone because of this damn thing making it impossible for me to cut some stuff loose--because I can't seem to identify which i should and when. (If this happens I'll be homeless--thus the comment about it being worse sometimes)

I suspect it will be ok for a while at least--anothr family mtg is scheduled for this am at 10 to discuss my place in the family and what to do about it. :-(

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

rthom - I am so sorry that times are so difficult for you at present.

At this time of year with all the Ho Ho Ho... Merry Christmas... I think the preceived ideal family and family christmas doesn't actually exist.
A medical friend who works in pallative care told me today that the more she sees (including all of our own families) with her extended pallative care family work - the more she believes that there is no such thing as a functional family... just varying degrees of dysfunction.

Throw WED into the mix plus whatever other ailments have thrown themselves at us and what do we have....... issues to be dealt with.
Never mind the ordinary stresses of daily life.
Our symptoms, our issues, and our emotions don't all of a sudden become a non-problem because it is December 25.

My heart is with you and I hope that your meeting of this morning was productive and reassuring.

We are here for you, and hopefully will manage to check the site as much as possible over the holiday period.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I agree with polar bear, there are just varying degrees of dysfunction and the WED certainly doesn't make things any easier! I have the same dilemma. Which is worse the meds or the symptoms? I have not had a positive experience with meds, probably because I need so damn much of them to keep the symptoms at bay. I also have very little WED symptoms throughout the day. It seems like I'm not as tired if i let the WED run it's course even getting 3 hours a night, but I'm also more anxious, irritable and easily upset. And there is the worry at night about getting up for work in the morning. If I could just take a med that would work indefinately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rthom

Post by rthom »

Thanks for the kind words. We had decided to finally just give in to nt having a christmas here this year--that of itself is hard to deal with. As parents you get some guilt etc. attached.

I have realized through talking about this the last couple of days that alot of my problem is not that I'm grumpy around people (I seldom am) but that I am more lacking in feeling. This gets the response from those around me as though I am grumpy---I just can't prove I am not. So I'm not happy (or anything else) and in the minds of those around me if I'm not happy etc. I must be negative or grumpy etc.

Really I'm just empty feeling. argh. It's hard enough to lack feling

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Feeling empty is not a nice place to be.
I hope that your family talk bringing things into the open proves eventually to be beneficial.
Best wishes.
Betty

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

rthom wrote:Thanks for the kind words. We had decided to finally just give in to nt having a christmas here this year--that of itself is hard to deal with. As parents you get some guilt etc. attached.

I have realized through talking about this the last couple of days that alot of my problem is not that I'm grumpy around people (I seldom am) but that I am more lacking in feeling. This gets the response from those around me as though I am grumpy---I just can't prove I am not. So I'm not happy (or anything else) and in the minds of those around me if I'm not happy etc. I must be negative or grumpy etc.

Really I'm just empty feeling. argh. It's hard enough to lack feling

We are having Christmas Eve here and that is all. Family will be here from like 3 PM to maybe 6 PM and that is it. Tomorrow my wife and I will be by ourselves for the first time ever, and we have been married 37 years. We were invited to in-laws, I told my wife to go alone but she will not leave a sinking ship so to speak, but I have gotten so little sleep in the last 11 days that I am a lot zombie. rthom, I don't believe you don't have emotion it is just that like me you have had to put up brick walls around you so that you can't let the emotions in or out. Any little thing can set me off, but when I am set off it stays inside 99% of the time now because I have had to do that to survive. My wife is really the only one left in my life, it is a burden for her and not something she can deal with too well.

Awhile back I realized that my grown son hates me, he let out his hate towards me one day about something that was happening and I was just floored - he totally does not undertand that I am sick and blames me for every wrong decision I have made for the last dozen years. Just the same as everyone else except maybe my grandchild who just knows me for how I am now and still likes me. I guess that is the main problem, I'm not who people think I am anymore but they can't look beyond the exterior view.

I suppose I change a lot too, they probably think I am really strange because one time I have had sleep for a week and see them and the next time I haven't had sleep for a week. The zombie thing is that I can write down my thoughts because I have time to think about them, but in a conversation I am a space cadet and they either think I have nothing to say, don't want to say anything, or who knows what they think. I do a lot of agreeing and listening but not a lot of talking.

Edit:
I just re-read this and was thinking what the hell do I have to talk about? I don't do anything but work. I don't have a life most the time because I am usually either tired and/or drugged up, or trying to keep my head above the water