Neupro Patch

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jakesmom

Re: Neupro Patch

Post by jakesmom »

I hope you don't have that neuroviris; my dad has it and it is awful.
I am getting some rest, but it isn't consistent. I dread tomorrow when I return to work. I prepare loan documents at a bank. It's complicated enough when I am can sleep. Hopefully I won't be up again at 1am walking my dog. I am starting to feel like a hostage because I am afraid to drive very far for fear of falling asleep. I haven't been this tired in a long time.

I am up to the 4mg patch. I too am having issues getting it to stick. Try band aids at the corners. I haven't had any nausea problems, just crawling skin. I don't know if that's the patch or mirapex withdrawls.

This site and its people are an amazing source of information. It takes people who have this disease to understand it. I just want to smack people who tell me to put a bar of soap under my mattress and I will be cured in the morning.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When I first heard about the bar of soap thingy..... yep, I did it. This was before my medications were sorted and adjusted to a cocktail that more or less works.
I would have done anything, needless to say, it didn't work. :oops:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I confess; I tried it too.

rthom

Post by rthom »

A note about patches, not only do you need to clean and dry the area well (soap water, alcohol I used) but when that wasn't working I found out you also have to hold it tigh on the skin for 60 seconds---apparently the warmth from your hand has an affect on the glue as well---I got much better sticking when I did that--I had to hold it very firmly. the time is important my pharmasist said. Hope it helps

rthom

Post by rthom »

Also about the patches--if you bath in warm water your pores open and the medication can be absorbed much faster (found it out the hard way--overdosed by bathing-- go figure-lol)

badnights

Post by badnights »

I confess, I went to a homeopath. Three times. I admit, I didn't know he was a homepath - he advertises as a naturopath which could include all sorts of other things. I don't know what I was thinking - herbs, natural foods, that sort of thing. But he gave me homeopathic "remedies". I took pills that had nothing in them, because the solution they use has been diluted so much that all of the molecules in the original solution are now spread among 100 or 1000 times as many jars as there are molecules - maybe you get one molecule of the substance, but most likely you get none.

I knew this, but I still did it. Three times. I paid him $147 each visit, and $6 for the sugar pills. It's amazing what desperation will do.

I finally decided that a far better use of my money would be to make a donation to the RLS Foundation. That way, it might actually be used for research that leads to an effective treatment for this obnoxious disease.

At least the soap was probably cheap...
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I'm with you beth, frequently i wondered how to give myself a placebo without me knowing--in hopes it helps--proving i'm just nuts or something. At least then it can all be stopped. It's amazing the things you'd do in desperation. I so wish i was just nuts or needy....

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Rthom,

Thank you for the heads up about warm water. I am still trying to figure out the best time to change it. I will try applying the new one after my shower so not only is my skin clean, but maybe the residual heat from the shower will make the patch release a higher dose and I will be able to rest. It concerns me that on my 4th day I am already using 4mg, but I am trying to resist going up to 6mg. Maxing out in a week would probably not be a good thing.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Just to clarify, I was mentioning the warm water thing with the patch as a warning so folks don't accidentally get hurt. we have no way of knowing just how much the patch might be delivering to us-- :shock:

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Yes, and that was good to know. My intention was to get the best adhesion without having to use duct tape. Applying post shower made it stick much easier without needing band aids or duct tape. I took the old one off before getting in the water so I didn't get any extra residual medication that was on the patch from the hot water.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I hope it stays on better this timr, good luck with it

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Thank you. Thus far the conversion from Mirapex has not been a pleasant time.

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

Jakesmom.....one other thing that you might want to check into is accupuncture. I did it last year...3 times a week to start with and then cut it back so I was only going once a week....I couldn't afford to keep going or I would still be going. I am not sure if it actually helped the rls or just helped my mind but regardless I walked out of there everytime feeling relaxed and my rls seemed to calm down for awhile. If nothing else it is very relaxing just laying there in a quiet room with soft music and a warm sheet....and they postition the needles where you say you are having problems. If you do try it I would check around and talk to other people about who to go to.,..I was lucky my dr. that I used to have recommended him and he was great. If we ever get caught up and can afford it again I am going back if not for anything else then to have my mind cleared up for a few hours.

The soap thing didn't work for me either....

And a caution about using alcohol on skin before putting the patch on....I started getting real sick after mine was placed yesterday....my husband got to reading and we think he scrubbed that area too hard and it caused the medicine to absorb too quickly...at least that is what we are thinking now....but who knows. I also had a horrible evening last night too....not sure if it was something I ate yesterday or if the patch just isn't going to work by itself. I am going to try and get ahold of the dr today and see if he can add something else to go along with it....not sure what he will do...past experience says probably nothing.

I hope you have an ok day today.....things will get better.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I also was told to keep moving the patches to different spots (i was getting bad contact rashes from the adhesive), it's another good point to keep in mind.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Thank you all.

I am going to have to call my neuro today. I don't know whether I feel nausea because of Mirapex withdrawl or Neupro patch. I'm going to ask if I can get off DA's for a while and hopefully be able to use lower doses once they are out of my system. I can't work in pain or nauseated. If she isn't receptive to the idea or isn't willing to give me something to get through the transition, I will consult a new neuro. My biggest problem is I am so frustrated when I go see her, I cry like a blithering idiot and can't make the wonderful argument that I have rehearsed in my head.

I'm tired of pain, tired of no impulse control, tired of short term memory loss, tired of my skin crawling, tired of not caring about anything, tired of feeling that people think I just want drugs; not to mention I'm just tired of fatigue and being tired.