Neupro Patch

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rthom

Re: Neupro Patch

Post by rthom »

It sounds like you may be augmenting. If this i the case, taking the pramipexole will only make it worse. Have you had a ferritin level tet done?

flyingfleet

Post by flyingfleet »

No and I'm not sure what that is. My internist has been treating me.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry, I am in a rush but please note the information below

FERRITIN
Iron levels can be a part of the condition. An ordinary blood test may show your iron levels as ok but it is your serum ferritin levels that need to be checked. Doctors often reckon that a ferritin level of 20 is normal but for us rls/wed sufferers it should be at least 50 and preferably up towards 100. This test is not done as a matter of course when having bloods done and you should specifically ask that your ferritin is checked. Ferritin levels tell us what iron is stored in our brain, rather than the iron that is flowing in our blood. It is best not to take any of the DA medication (pramipexole/mirapex/ropinerole) until your ferritin is sufficiently high enough to reduce the risk of augmentation.

Augmentation is when the medication actually causes the condition to become worse, more severe, start earlier, travel to other parts of the body.

HOW TO TREAT AUGMENTATION
Strategies for the treatment of restless legs syndrome.
Buchfuhrer MJ.
Source
Solo Clinical Practice, Downey, CA 90241, USA. mjbuchfuhrer@gmail.com

Abstract
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a common neurological disorder of unknown etiology that is managed by therapy directed at relieving its symptoms. Treatment of patients with milder symptoms that occur intermittently may be treated with nonpharmacological therapy but when not successful, drug therapy should be chosen based on the timing of the symptoms and the needs of the patient. Patients with moderate to severe RLS typically require daily medication to control their symptoms. Although the dopamine agonists, ropinirole and pramipexole have been the drugs of choice for patients with moderate to severe RLS, drug emergent problems like augmentation may limit their use for long term therapy. Keeping the dopamine agonist dose as low as possible, using longer acting dopamine agonists such as the rotigotine patch and maintaining a high serum ferritin level may help prevent the development of augmentation. The α2δ anticonvulsants may now also be considered as drugs of choice for moderate to severe RLS patients. Opioids should be considered for RLS patients, especially for those who have failed other therapies since they are very effective for severe cases. When monitored appropriately, they can be very safe and durable for long term therapy. They should also be strongly considered for treating patients with augmentation as they are very effective for relieving the worsening symptoms that occur when decreasing or eliminating dopamine agonists.
PMID:
[PubMed - in process]
PMCID:
PMC3480566
[Available on 2013/10/1]

Also make sure that none of your current medication is aggravating your rls, such as anti-depressants, benedryl, antihistamines, anti nauseants, also alcohol and nicotine.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

flyingfleet

Post by flyingfleet »

Thanks for the info. I will be talking to my doctor about this on Monday. I have been taking a daily antihistamine for seasonal allergies and will cut it out until I get this under control. However, we are entering the high pollen season in the south and that poses a different set of problems. But, I think I would rather deal with allergies and get this under control. I guess one good thing about not sleeping last night was finding this site and getting some info. Thanks again.

rthom

Post by rthom »

are you on neupro because your WED is getting worse or spreading?

rthom

Post by rthom »

The antihitamine may be your problem, there are some that are a problem but a lot of the newer one are ok. You might want to earch them and see what comes up about the one you are taking. Alo if you feel like aying, other here are mot inclinded to tell you what they know or about their experienc with it.

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

Hi Flyingfleet..I take the Pramipexipole and the Neupro Patch together. It is the only way I can control the WED. I use a 2mg patch and .5mg Pramipexole twice a day. It is not recommended that you do that. I just saw a new sleep doctor last week and she said she would not put somebody on both those drugs at the same time but she wasn't going to change my drugs on me at this point. The combination will make your blood pressure either go low or high. It also has me rather confused and real depressed at times...and I am pretty sure it is a result of those two meds being combined. Just be careful when mixing drugs.
Sorry you are going through this. You will find the people on here to be very helpful and understanding.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

flyingfleet wrote:Thanks for the info. I will be talking to my doctor about this on Monday. I have been taking a daily antihistamine for seasonal allergies and will cut it out until I get this under control. However, we are entering the high pollen season in the south and that poses a different set of problems. But, I think I would rather deal with allergies and get this under control. I guess one good thing about not sleeping last night was finding this site and getting some info. Thanks again.

For most of us, only the older antihistamines are the issue. Newer ones do not cross the blood-brain barrier and cause problems. So, things like Zyrtec work in many cases.

For information on what drugs can cause problems for us, visit rlshelp.org.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

I have decided that for me the Neupro Patch is not a good drug. I stopped using it 3 days ago after I passed out in the evening and my husband could not wake me up. We were watching Tina Turner singing Rolling on the River and I just went away...Randy said he had the stereo turned up as loud as it would go..which is loud.. and I didn't budge. He woke me up by standing in front of me and yelling my name...I snapped awake and had no idea that I had fallen asleep like that. He said that I had been doing that a lot more lately. I knew it was happening when I go to bed...I lay down and I am out like a light for 3 hours...then up and wide awake for the day. He said that he has tried to wake me while I was asleep during those few hours that I get and he said I was doing the same thing....like I was dead to the world. If there were to be a fire or something I am convinced I would not wake up for it.

I am not sure if it was the combination of the two drugs or if there is something else going on but after talking to the sleep doctor and her saying that she would not have somebody on those two drugs together I decided I should try something else...so I got my box of unused drugs out and decided to start vicoden with the pramipexipole and so far I am doing ok. I know that could change today or tomorrow...but for the last coulpe days I have felt mentally better...still fall asleep for no good reason...but now I am waking back up. I know that I can not drive a car after I start taking the pramipexipole and vicoden....but i don't have to drive so that is fine and I dont take the drugs until the afternoon.

I am trying to learn to enjoy the good days as they come....I can always wish that the WED will go away and never come back but I don't think that is really going to happen. I figure it is a lot like a cancer...it goes into a type of remission for how ever long it decides and during those times life is tolerable...but I know that it will be back and when it does come back it is usually with a vengence. I also bought recumbent bike so when the WED gets to be a bit more then the vicoden can control at least now I can sit and just peddle...it seems to help a little bit....at least it is good for my knee!!

So that is where I am at today....it could all change tomorrow...but for now I am doing a little bit better. I am learning to enjoy the good days because I know that bad days will be coming again soon. One day at a time is how I am learing to live life...the only thing I can do at this point. I feel like I have aged 20 years in the last few years...I want to enjoy life again...even if it is through a drug haze....I just want to get back to being me...not whoever I have become in the last few years. I will let you all know what happens in the next few days....

Dang......it is storming out right now...time to get off the computer.

flyingfleet

Post by flyingfleet »

Update. After receiving some good advice from this board, my internist checked my iron levels and all were low. The ferritin level was something like 4.4 or so and other numbers were low as well. He referred me to a hematologist who placed me on an iron supplement, told me to eat more red meat and not donate blood for a while. He thought the acid blocker I take for reflux inhibits iron absorption. He feels once my iron levels get back to normal, my restless leg symptoms may subside. I am on a 2mg patch now and would not say I am there but much better. I printed articles from this site and took them to my internist when I went in to see him. He also referred me to a gastroenterologist for a possible colonoscopy to rule out losing blood that way. My doctor thanked me for being proactive in my health care. Thank you for you replies to my post.

badnights

Post by badnights »

flyingfeet
so glad you got checked out and they found a clear problem and are working to resolve it. Lots of cases of secondary WED/RLS clear up once the primary problem (iron deficiency, mainly) is cleared up. So you might not be doomed to live with this much longer! let's hope.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

pamdorr
Nothing is ever simple, is it? You're bringing tears to my eyes, maybe I'm in a susceptible mood tonight (feeling sorry for myself too, no doubt).

In the earlier part of your post, I reacted to your comment that your husband had, more than once, been unable to wake you up during the 3 hours of sleep you get nightly. I understand why you wouldn't feel safe sleeping that deeply, and why you changed your medication to avoid it, but I have to ask, does your husband know how vital and precious your sleep is? If he doesn't have good reasons for those times he tried to wake you, maybe you need to speak to him plainly about how little sleep you get, and what that means to your health, and how vital every minute of sleep is. Probably I am entirely out of line and he had multiple good reasons for testing the deepness of your sleep.

I am trying to learn to enjoy the good days as they come....I can always wish that the WED will go away and never come back but I don't think that is really going to happen. I figure it is a lot like a cancer...it goes into a type of remission for how ever long it decides and during those times life is tolerable...but I know that it will be back and when it does come back it is usually with a vengence. I also bought recumbent bike so when the WED gets to be a bit more then the vicoden can control at least now I can sit and just peddle...it seems to help a little bit....at least it is good for my knee!!

So that is where I am at today....it could all change tomorrow...but for now I am doing a little bit better. I am learning to enjoy the good days because I know that bad days will be coming again soon. One day at a time is how I am learing to live life...the only thing I can do at this point. I feel like I have aged 20 years in the last few years...I want to enjoy life again...even if it is through a drug haze....I just want to get back to being me...not whoever I have become in the last few years.

This could have been me speaking. (Except for the bike, which I would like to get. Something with a comfortable seat - my mother had one with a dreadful seat).
And except I wouldn't call it remission; what I get is more like a reprieve - things are still messed up, just not as badly.

But totally totally all the rest- I am slowly learning to live again, I feel like I've aged 20 years, I want to get back to being me, ... and learn to appreciate those times when things aren't as bad.

It is hard to remember that now is the only moment we have.
It's hard to recognize when I'm visiting my imagination and mistaking it for the future.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Flyingfeet,

I tried Neupro also. The first 2 nights were good, then, it stopped working. I had been told to go as high as 6mg. The 6mg worked but the nausea was horrible. I am not the best to weigh in since augmentation likely played a huge role in my dosing.

I have never had my ferritin checked. I have numerous Dr's appts coming up so I will have whoever takes blood to check it.

I'm glad your doctor was so receptive to you and so proactive in your care.