I guess that I will give up !

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rthom

Re: I guess that I will give up !

Post by rthom »

My dr wants to put me up to 3900mg so I'm glad I heard the dr's remarks. I do not do well on it at all, so theres no way i am comfortable with that dosage.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Surprise, surprise the hyves are starting tonight---have not had that since i was off the gabapentin---can't believe this is acceptable to the dr' and I'm to think it's ok as a long term med. It gets a lot worse than this, a lot, yet it is not a problem to the dr at all---I just don't understand what is supposed to be unacceptable these days?

rthom

Post by rthom »

Looking back at my post I figured I better explain a bit. Almost 2 yrs ago I was on 3200 mg (or maybe 3600) gabapentin. I had as a result: I could not remember anything including people I knew well, like my clients
I had horrible pain that kept increasing
ran low-grade fevers for over 6 months
Achy muscles that never subsided
Huge infected rash that took up both backs of my legs and buttocks (baths had to be used in order to change my clothes)
Horrible muscle spasms several times a night that left my legs feeling like they were torn muscles.
migrane headaches
lack of ability to control my leg muscles--fell alot
incontinence
no sexual function
bad WED symptoms that required emerg visits
every week I got 10 shots in my back at the end to help aleviate some of the pain symptoms
weight gain
severe depression and frustration

This all went away when I dropped my meds. My dr kept wanting me to stay with the meds so I just dumped them myself. Now she wants me to take it again, I'm only on 400mg day and I have memory problems, achy muscles constantly, cold feeling, lack of sensation, Hyves, and weird feeling in my legs making me want to pace constantly, a headache that is identical to my previous migranes only not as bad, and have had none of these symptoms since coming off the drug before. My dr wants me on it for a min of months--no matter what I said. Thus my question about what would be enough of a problem that the medical community would accept that we should not be taking it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow - you are clearly allergic or intolerant to this! Hives and rashes are not a good sign. I hate it when doctors don't listen to us!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

rthom, You are allergic to the Gabapentin. Hives is a sure sign. I would not take it at all. It will just get worse. If you go off, remember to wean. You have to do that with Gabapentin.

I found my Mirapex in my chair this morning. I wondered why my leg jerked this morning. Went ahead a took it.

rthom

Post by rthom »

that's what I told my dr. Did not agree--insists on 2 months. normally I'd just ignore the dr but this dr is good about a lot of stuff, but when the dr is wrong--realy wrong and insists. It's the own side of being completely honest and working with the dr. She will likely not prescribe the opiods if I do not try the other stuff. arggg.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Why isn't your doctor switching you to an opioid when you have all these massive problems with Gabapentin?

rthom

Post by rthom »

I take a small amout of opiod already, it helps better than anything else, however it's still not enough to sleep, just to be kept comfortable enough to not feel like I am going insane from the feelings and movements. It decreases it alot--about 50%.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Then I would tell the pharmacist your symptoms. Sometimes they override the doctor.

QyX

Post by QyX »

rthom wrote:I take a small amout of opiod already, it helps better than anything else, however it's still not enough to sleep, just to be kept comfortable enough to not feel like I am going insane from the feelings and movements. It decreases it alot--about 50%.

Which opioid are you taking?

You could discuss with your doctor to take a higher dose?

My doctor would never ever let me take Gabapentin when I would have your symptoms!

rthom

Post by rthom »

If I take a higher dose of the opiods I am really awake not hyper just no chance of sleep--then I need a sleep med which only lasts for a few minutes, but makes e feel like sh. the rest of the time, until it's time to take it again. I had one dr. a psychiatrist overdose me just to make a point (that I was exagerating or being difficult), he kept upping the meds insisting that I get it (nurses made me take it or they give shots and strap down), my leggs got soo bad that I could not even sit for a seccond. They shook constantly and kept kicking (the staff thought I was doing it to get attention), so they just kept giving more every few minutes until I colapsed--(my legs kept moving though) on the floor and I was blind but very alert to what was going on. So then (and only then) they decided I was telling the truth about my legs and whether or not I could sleep (or stay in bed). This was all because whenever they came in to check on me I was awake and wanting to stand up.

I'm taking oxycontin now and have for over a long period of time. If I take a higher dose or long acting it causes bad ringing in my ears, insane making.

From what I see around here and online I figure as dr's go I have a pretty good one--just horrible sometimes not all the time. The rest of the time mine is normal. It's sad though that we have to accept this as lucky and fear for our safety at the same time.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom,

I suggest that you DON'T take it for 2 months and then tell your doctor after 2 months that it didn't work, just a small white lie, you already know it won't work and could hurt. What to take in the meantime I don't have an answer unless you have one of those infamous stashes that RLS sufferers tend to acquire :lol:

rthom

Post by rthom »

No I don't have a stash. Only been given what I was taking and it's been ok that way for me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Have you ever tried Methadone?

rthom

Post by rthom »

nope, cannot get it in our city, my dr that was my pain dr was the only one licenced and he gave i up, too many problems with it.