5-htp

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pr39

5-htp

Post by pr39 »

My dauhgter (9) has RLS (and some autoimmune issues). I am thinking of her trying 5-htp. Did anyone have experience with it?
What dose? etc.
thanks in advance,

badnights

Re: 5-htp

Post by badnights »

I knew nothing about 5-htp but a quick web search has told me two things. One is that 5-htp increases serotonin in the brain. RLS/WED is a disorder of the dopamine system, and has nothing to do with the serotonin system, so using a serotonin drug would not work.

Second, and most important, is this message from the WebMD site, which is fairly reputable (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... Name=5-HTP)
"Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP."

I would not give it to my child!

I advise you to get her levels of ferritin tested. Ferritin is a protein in the blood that is involved in iron transport. Ask specifically for a ferritin test, not just iron, and ask for the actual number in the results, not just whether it is normal. For some people, 20 is fine, but people with RLS/WED need 75 or more. If she is below 75 and has been diagnosed with RLS/WED by a physician who knows the disease, then she might require iron supplementation.

Get her to a doctor for a diagnosis if you haven't already. Take this with you, and read it first: Children and RLS/WED
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Beth has said it all, I just want to say my heart is with you as you look for help for your little girl.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One night, in desperation, I forgot all the things that Beth said, and decided to try it. Bad move. My symptoms were MUCH worse. Won't ever try that again!

Given that your daughter might have some auto-immune issues, I hope that that will point the way to you. Do get the ferritin level tested, as well as her hemoglobin. If she has celiac, this could all go away once she is absorbing nutrients again, for example.

Do read in the Special Populations section - lots of posts there about kids and WED. I hope you come up with answers and soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pr39

Post by pr39 »

I found mention of 5-htp in relation to Parkinson's and other movement disorders. It seems that some people with RLS do benefit from it.
I am taking it myself for sleep but I don't have RLS.
It is also appears to be safe if not used in conjunction to some other drugs.
I am, however, hesitant to give it to a 9year old. She is already taking a similar supplement, melatonin, which too plays a role in the production of serotonin.
By the way, to reply to the posts above, dopamin-seratonin exist in relation to one another, not in isolation. bad effect follow imbalance -- if I get that one correctly.
thank you for responding.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

When people with WED take serotonin reuptake inhibitors (keeps more serotonin in the brain), it exacerbates WED in some people. It could be that it reduces the dopamine. Since studies show that WED patients suffer from issues with dopamine, most of us are hesitant to suggest anything that would increase serotonin. In non-WED people, it's a completely different story.

Melatonin does help some people with WED, but not all. I have heard of some people say it worsened their symptoms. There isn't a one-size fits all treatment for WED!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Roger411

Post by Roger411 »

5-Htp has been on the health food store shelves for as long as I can remember, or some 30 years, which is quite a long track record. If there were any real problems with it, it would have been pulled off the shelves by now.It helps depression, but may have limited effect on WED.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Roger411 wrote:5-Htp has been on the health food store shelves for as long as I can remember, or some 30 years, which is quite a long track record. If there were any real problems with it, it would have been pulled off the shelves by now. It helps depression, but may have limited effect on WED.

It seems the adverse effects were not from the 5-htp itself but from contaminants which made their way into the supplements.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.