neurontin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pamndorr

Re: neurontin

Post by pamndorr »

You are welcome..you are not nuts or weak...just somebody that has to take crappy drugs to live.

rthom

Post by rthom »

My legs are aching again tonight and I've noticed that my back is much ore painfull than it was for over a year now--this is bad I cannot return to that life for the wed symptoms. It was completely out of control.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's been a few hours since you posted - I hope you managed to get some rest.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks PB, no just really bored and frustrated--so went out.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

No rest.... so you went out -
We have a saying.... A change is as good as a rest ....

Couldn'nt resist.
Sorry I am being flippant - no offence meant, I hope you take this in the manner it was intended. :thumbup:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

true enough, theses days it's required!lol

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sometimes it can be really difficult to stay positive but generally speaking I reckon we all make a good stab at it, given the trials of this stupid disease.
Keep whistling in the dark.... :roll:
Betty

veldon7

Post by veldon7 »

I've been on Gabapentin for a few mths I think it may be making me eat more, but I also started Cymbalta a mth ago so it could be the Cymbalta. My fingers are swelling, the Gabapentin helps some with the RLS, but I still have to take Mirapex, and it may be helping my Migraines, I haven't had as many Migraines the last few weeks, I am stopping the Cymbalta to see which one is helping Migraines, and if I don't eat as much, but the Mirapex also makes me gain weight, some people have good results with their Migraines and RLS, but they may have to take more of the Gabapentin, I am only taking 600mg in the evening.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Gabapentin(Neurontin) really badly messed with my moods. It helped to take it at exactly the same time every day, but eventually nothing could stop the depression. I had three episodes where I wanted to die, couldn't recall any reason why it might be worth living. When those episodes (1-3 days each) weren't happening, I was totally aware that it was the medication causing them.

I had to wait 10 months to get off it, because that's how long it took for me to convince my GP I was in dire need. She thought I needed an anti-depressant. Maybe I do! but at that time it was clear as the mountain air that I needed to get off the gabapentin. I now call it the suicide drug.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

My experience with it was very similar--years of pain and hell for both me and my wife.

jfk

Post by jfk »

On 300 mg of gabapentin. Slept like a baby but was "brainless" for the first few hours of the day. I was willing to to put up with it because I was sleeping. After 5 months stopped sleeping again. Was told to double the dose. Got blinding migraines and a terrible pain in my neck and overall felt terrible!! Went back to 300 but the "brainless" feeling got worse and the neck pain comes and goes. Am being told it's not related! Hate this drug!! Don't know what else to try!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jfk wrote:On 300 mg of gabapentin. Slept like a baby but was "brainless" for the first few hours of the day. I was willing to to put up with it because I was sleeping. After 5 months stopped sleeping again. Was told to double the dose. Got blinding migraines and a terrible pain in my neck and overall felt terrible!! Went back to 300 but the "brainless" feeling got worse and the neck pain comes and goes. Am being told it's not related! Hate this drug!! Don't know what else to try!

Maybe start a new thread and tell us your history - how long you've had it, what your symptoms are like, what drugs you've tried, etc. That will help us know how to help you. There are MANY options - but we won't know what to suggest until we know more about your experiences.

Welcome to the group - here's hoping we can help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

My experience with Neurontin wasn't too bad. At first it worked great. Worked my way up from 300mg at night to three times per day. Caused dizziness the first week, but that went away. It also made me pretty lethargic, but it was working so I adapted.

Then after about 4 months it didn't work anymore. Doctor upped the dosage but it didn't help and just made me more lethargic during the day, so I stayed with the 300 x 3 per day schedule, always feeling like a zombie during the morning hours.

After about a year of this, I found that I could fall asleep just by lying in a certain position. So I reduced it to 300mg at bedtime (without consulting my doctor) and was still falling asleep. That's were I'm at now. I'll take one 300mg about an hour before bed and no other time. I'm no longer a zombie during the day.

rthom

Post by rthom »

:thumbup: