Pramipexole and serious side effects

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Pramipexole and serious side effects

Post by ViewsAskew »

Per Beth's question, yes, I did cut the Horizant patches in half. I found references of doctors telling people it was OK, but the literature says not to do it. It can more easily rub off on your fingers, I suppose, and they say that the drug concentration may not be even.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I was mistaken. The doc gave me 100mg of Lyrica to take 3x a day. I'm going to start out at 100mg at night and see if that alone will do it. Lyrica has too many side effects at high doses that I don't need. Does anyone else take it? If so, how much?

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Please forgive me for asking the dumbest question possible. So I took .25 mg of Mirapex for 2 mights until i could get to the pharmacy to pick up the Requip which i took for 4 nights. I didn't like how it was making me feel, so I stopped. The night after I stopped I took 5mg of oxy and slept like a baby. Last night, no oxy but I took 100mg of Lyrica. My WED was so bad it felt like I was detoxing all over again.i took 2mg of klonopin and I was out at 11 walking the dog, followed by a scalding shower, next stop was grazing in front of the tv. Now I am up again with legs that won't quit and an alarm set to go off in an hour.

Can you have withdrawls after a week or am I just having a rough night?

rthom

Post by rthom »

I don't know for sure--some of it seems to depend on whether or not you were on it before and for how long. From what I've heard here, if you were taking a DA before and you stop for a while, it doesn't count for much hen it comes to Augmenting. So I think from that it is possible that the Mirapex is causing trouble.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I had been on Mirapex for over 10 years. Over 3 of those last years I took 2mg per day and the last year I was up to 1.5 mg twice a day.

I was kinda wondering if my body was going to reject it but I didn't expect withdraw symptoms after such a short period of time.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Dr E that Eefall saw told him that recently, that's why I think it may very well be what you are having trouble with (and it's a prob after you took them). If you read through the beginning or this thread it'll be there in the overview he gave of what the Dr said. (of course he is one of the best too, so I take his word). Hope it helps.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Thanks!!!!

rthom

Post by rthom »

No Prob

veldon7

Post by veldon7 »

jakesmom: If you didn't take any oxy or Requip, only Lyrica and Klonopin, it may be that neither one of those would really help the WED very much unless you take alot of the Lyrica, and it still may not work without adding something else. I've heard some people say that the Lyrica didn't help them, but the Gabapentin did. When I didn't take the Mirapex, and only took the Gabapentin and Percocet, neither one helped my WED very much. The Gabapentin helps for a few hours at a time, but not all night, I still have to take a low dose of Mirapex with it. When I tried switching to the Requip, I had to take a large dose, and it didn't last long, it never really worked well enough for me, since I was so use to the Mirapex I guess, and the Pharmacist said that it would take a while for the dopamine level to get up when switching.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jakesmom wrote:Please forgive me for asking the dumbest question possible. So I took .25 mg of Mirapex for 2 mights until i could get to the pharmacy to pick up the Requip which i took for 4 nights. I didn't like how it was making me feel, so I stopped. The night after I stopped I took 5mg of oxy and slept like a baby. Last night, no oxy but I took 100mg of Lyrica. My WED was so bad it felt like I was detoxing all over again.i took 2mg of klonopin and I was out at 11 walking the dog, followed by a scalding shower, next stop was grazing in front of the tv. Now I am up again with legs that won't quit and an alarm set to go off in an hour.

Yes, you can have augmentation with the resulting difficulty in stopping it in a week. It has happened to me with one dose of one of the drugs. But, since you didn't have any trouble when you took the oxy, not sure it was that. More likely that the Lyrica isn't anywhere near enough for you or doesn't work for you. If you take the oxy tonight, you might get more information. Was the oxy enough to completely stop your symptoms when you stopped pramipexole the first time?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

10 mg of oxy made it tolerable. I took 5 mg of oxy last night with 100mg of Lyrica and it wasn't near enough. I am going to go up to 100mg of Lyrica twice a day plus 5mg of oxy at night (I am on my last few with no refills) and see what that does. Lyrica has so many side effects I don't want to be on high doses of it. My swelling was way down and my pain was way down when on more oxy and less Lyrica. I know she has hesitations about leaving me on oxy, but it worked so well and I obviously don't have addiction issues if my script was up yesterday and I have 12 left. I need to get in to see her. Maybe she will have an opening next week. Do you know of a strong pain medicine that can be called in to a pharmacy as opposed to being picked up?

Thanks !!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think that hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin is one brand name) may be able to be called in - it's a moderate strength option - but the daily acetaminophen isn't good for any of us. Tramadol is the only other one that can, but is also only a moderate strength choice. Once you get into the oxycodone category, they all have strict controls. The federal law allows people to get up to a 90 day supply in scripts from the doctor. But, not all states allow it. You'd need to find out if your state does. If it does, the doctor can write 3 scripts at a time, but you still have to take each one physically to the pharmacy and you can only fill one at a time.

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:I think that hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin is one brand name) may be able to be called in - it's a moderate strength option - but the daily acetaminophen isn't good for any of us. Tramadol is the only other one that can, but is also only a moderate strength choice. Once you get into the oxycodone category, they all have strict controls. The federal law allows people to get up to a 90 day supply in scripts from the doctor. But, not all states allow it. You'd need to find out if your state does. If it does, the doctor can write 3 scripts at a time, but you still have to take each one physically to the pharmacy and you can only fill one at a time.

That is what my state must be because the doc gives me 3 months scripts of methadone and I leave them on frig and take one a month to pharmacy where they take my info from my driver's license to verify who I am so they can hand me the dangerous schedule II drug :lol:

badnights

Post by badnights »

I took .25 mg of Mirapex for 2 mights until i could get to the pharmacy to pick up the Requip which i took for 4 nights. I didn't like how it was making me feel, so I stopped. The night after I stopped I took 5mg of oxy and slept like a baby. Last night, no oxy but I took 100mg of Lyrica. My WED was so bad it felt like I was detoxing all over again.i took 2mg of klonopin and I was out at 11 walking the dog, followed by a scalding shower, next stop was grazing in front of the tv. Now I am up again with legs that won't quit and an alarm set to go off in an hour.

Yes, you can, as others have said. Also, 100 mg Lyrica is probably not enough for your symptoms. Even with 5 mg oxy. I am not familiar with anyone who has had success with an anti-convulsant, except one person who posted here a few years ago. Perhaps the successful ones are not posting? but I am leery of the effectiveness of the anti-convulsants.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I take Lamictal, which is an epilepsy med. It works really well for me. Last night I forgot to take it until midnight (I usually take it at 9 p.m.) and my legs were going nuts, but then about 1 a.m. I was good again.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.