Pramipexole

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
badnights

Re: Pramipexole

Post by badnights »

It's beneficial to everyone when you (and everyone else) posts here. Your experiences help us all to understand better. I'm a bit of a DA hater because of what they did to me, and the stories I've heard here, so it's good to be reminded that not everyone augments or gets ICD on pramipexole :)

I hope the reduction in pramipexole can improve your sleepiness issue without increasing your symptoms.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

doety

Post by doety »

It seems like every time I cut back on Mirapex, then start it up again, I do fine for a while. That's where I am right now -- thank goodness.

I'm finding diversions that will put off my RLS in the late afternoon -- so interesting. I lay down on the floor on my stomach (that always helps a little) and put my laptop down there, and get a streamimg video from Netflix. I'm watching "Luther" right now -- a very intense detective series. Somehow my RLS doesn't come up. This is the weirdest, most mysterious disease I have ever heard of.
Sometimes when I put on the ear things for my I-Pod, the same thing happens.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

doety wrote:It seems like every time I cut back on Mirapex, then start it up again, I do fine for a while. That's where I am right now -- thank goodness.

I'm finding diversions that will put off my RLS in the late afternoon -- so interesting. I lay down on the floor on my stomach (that always helps a little) and put my laptop down there, and get a streamimg video from Netflix. I'm watching "Luther" right now -- a very intense detective series. Somehow my RLS doesn't come up. This is the weirdest, most mysterious disease I have ever heard of.
Sometimes when I put on the ear things for my I-Pod, the same thing happens.

I LOVE Luther!!!!!!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I'm kinda looking forward to trying pramipexole again at a low dose. Oxy is nice for pain, but when when you have the crawlies, it's not very helpful .

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jakesmom wrote:I'm kinda looking forward to trying pramipexole again at a low dose. Oxy is nice for pain, but when when you have the crawlies, it's not very helpful .

Before trying pramipexole again, maybe try Neurpro. You will very likely augment again with pramipexole - everyone here who's tried it again has. You can take it and switch it out frequently, but that isn't that much fun - trust me. I did it because I didn't want to take the opioids daily, but I'd much prefer to take one thing regularly. Or to switch out a lot less frequently than daily!

Neupro may not cause you to augment, though. The rate of augmentation is much lower than any of the other DAs. If I remember correctly, you tried Neupro already, but while augmented. It might work very differently for you if you try it again.

It took me a long time to decide to try it. I'm still not sure it will work. But, who knows? It might. All I know for sure is that I NEVER want to go through what I went through with augmentation on pramipexole.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

Post by doety »

Ann: Of course you like Luther!! I'm on the second season. I hope it doesn't end. Fascinating.

On the Neupro patch thing: I asked my doc about it and he wasn't excited, said it was expensive. And I think we've talked about this before, but I'm worried that it is close to Neurontin, which I'm allergic to. He thought it was. Guess I should go to Google to figure that out.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I also am leery of the cost. I can't afford having 3 meds that are $65 per month.

doety

Post by doety »

Ann, are you taking it now? I've forgotten what you said. If one is taking Mirapex, do you just stop that and start the patch? I looked it up and don't see any connection to Neurontin.
Anyone have experience with it?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

doety wrote:Ann: Of course you like Luther!! I'm on the second season. I hope it doesn't end. Fascinating.

On the Neupro patch thing: I asked my doc about it and he wasn't excited, said it was expensive. And I think we've talked about this before, but I'm worried that it is close to Neurontin, which I'm allergic to. He thought it was. Guess I should go to Google to figure that out.

It's not close to Neurontin. It's closest to pramipexole or ropinerole. But, because it's a patch, it supposedly doesn't have the augmentation issues. Anyone who liked how pramipexole worked (minus side effects), could consider it.

And, yes, I am trying it now - just the last three days. My first impression is that I have few of the weird side effects I had with pramipexole. I do have increased dreaming. So far, I've still been using a partial dose of methadone - I wasn't sure what my dose would be, so am increasing it slowly. Tonight is the first night I increased it. We'll see if I can get by without any methadone.

I can see that it would be tough to switch out this med frequently. It takes a full 48 hours to get the full effect of it. So, you really aren't covered at a given dose until the third day. I was thinking I'd try 3-5 days on it, then 1-2 off, but am now thinking I'll try a full week on it, then two days off. If a week works without a problem, then maybe I'll go to 2 weeks. It is expensive, but it's my only drug, thankfully, so if it means sleeping, I'll pay a reasonable amount each month.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jakesmom wrote:I also am leery of the cost. I can't afford having 3 meds that are $65 per month.

No question, it's not inexpensive. I noted on their website, however, that they have a problem to get it to people who can't afford it. Do look into that if you think you need to get off the opioid at some point.

Managing Your RLS

doety

Post by doety »

Thank you for all that. PLEASE keep us posted about how it's going. Sounds promising. Just in general, I'd like to be on as few drugs as possible; I'm sure we all would. Especially this summer, as I hung out with old friends, I could see some of the holes in my memory. ("Remember when we came and stayed with you????" eeeek. no, I don't). Don't know which is the culprit, but getting away from opiodes would be nice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ouch. I have memory issues too. I dont' know if it's meds or just me :(
The only thing similar is the first three letters. They're in different classes altogether, as Ann said. The patch is a DA. Gabapentin/Neurontin is an anticonvulsant.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.