codeine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
squirmy

codeine

Post by squirmy »

I recently had a procedure done and was given Tylenol 3's with codeine.

I take Sinemet nightly for RLS, it has given some relief, but symptoms are returning.

Last night, after taking my Sinemet, and going to bed, I felt a strong RLS episode coming on, so I took the Codeine, just testing to see if it would help.

It worked very well. Now I want to ask my doc about getting a codeine prescription.

Any comments about codeine, has it helped RLS for other people here?

I think it is listed in the algorithym thing for medicines used for RLS treatment.

I like to know what to expect as far as lasting results. Thanks, Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tina, I think Dr Buchfurer's site goes into a lot of detail about it. It's a good place to start whenever considering any meds: www.rlshelp.org He lists the available forms and the hours that each lasts. Part of the problem with opioids is that many of them only last 2-4 hours. Someone posted a few weeks ago about using the patch - duragesic I think - that delivers 24/7 opioids to the system. If you look at his site, you'll get a good idea of what to tell your doc. They do work for most people who use them (some people are allergic and get sick). But, as with many drugs, some people have concerns about tolerance and addiction. Doctors can be a hard sell when it comes to that. . .

Ann

Heronak

Opiods

Post by Heronak »

Yes, they work wonderfully for me. I only take them for severe knee pain, maybe once a week, but if taken in the evening I sleep beautifully. I also take a low dose of Mirapex which works for awhile.

The problem, of course, is their addictive properties and the unwillingness of docs to prescribe them. Best,

Heron

LoveChild

Doctors and prescriptions

Post by LoveChild »

I wish that the doctors would just kiss our butts when it comes to prescribing us meds. They should give us the strongest thing that they can. RLS is no joke. It is TRUE PAIN and AGGRAVATION and interferes with our everyday lives that we have to live. No doctors seem to want to prescribe pain pills because they are addictive, but who cares. I would rather be addicted than be in pain like this. Whatever we take we have to take for life anyway, so so what if we get addicted. I know that addiction is bad and I don't want it, but I would gladly trade it for RLS. I just wish that these doctors would wake up. What do they they think, that RLS is just nothing. "Oh just do some stretching and walking". " Oh there is no way I am giving her pain pills for RLS, come on". I just wish that I could find a doctor that really understands.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I started taking Darvon two nights ago. Last night I awoke to find red blotches on my thigh- they are not raised and itchy, but otherwise look like hives. I searched and found the codeine can cause hives. Does anyone know anything additional? Since my blotches don't itch, I'm not even sure they are hives!

Ann

Andreas

Codine

Post by Andreas »

I was on inceasing amounts of codine (DHC) for a number of years , I had to go onto stronger stuff after I got to use to it.I found my bowels clogged up REAL bad with big amounts of codine, I have heard of bowels going bad enough to get infected though no movements.I would go days even with meds to loosen the bowels.Just something to bear in mind if you get on high amounts .Hope this insight helps.
Karl.