Should I start Lexapro?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Mountain Woman

Should I start Lexapro?

Post by Mountain Woman »

My General GP just ordered a prescription for Lexapro, I think I really do need an AD. I am on Wellbutrin now, to quit smoking, which didn't work. I take 5-.25 Mirapex a day, 4-100mg Gabapentin, .25 Alprazolam, .25 Triazolam, 1/2- 7.5/750Hydrocodone, Cholesterol meds, and a few more meds for good measure. My RLS is under control, even though I thought I was augmenting a while back on the Mirapex, I increased the Gabapentin, fine again for now. I am REALLY anxious and scared about going on the Lexapro, you know "don't rock the boat" thing. I don't think I could deal with RLS and depression together. This depression. or what ever it is has completely changed my personality over the last 3 yrs.(my poor husband) I do have some left over OCD's from 30yrs ago.
Are there any "good" experiences with the Lexapro? My son, no RLS, loves it.

ViewsAskew

Re: Should I start Lexapro?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, people have had it work. But, that doesn't mean it will or won't for you. That is what makes this hard - it's literally trial by error. But, the percentage of people affected is relatively low - I can't remember exactly, but I think it ranges from 2% to 20%. So, there is a much greater percentage is will not bother you! And, if it does, you'll know soon and you can switch.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sorry I don't have any personal experience that would be relevant. I wonder if the anxiety you feel about taking it is heightened by the depression it's being prescribed for? Depression, anxiety, & OCD tendencies tend to overlap.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Mountain Woman

Post by Mountain Woman »

Thanks for the advice. I did start the Lexapro. What an awful experience. I had about every bad side effect there is for it, in duplicate! I stopped it after a couple of weeks. I decided to take 2 Wellbrutrin instead. Seems to be working. In my first post, I mentioned my son, who didn't have RLS, well he was diagnosed with it yesterday. My prayers are definitely with him!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm sorry the Lexapro didn't work for you.... but now you have tried it and know for sure.
Glad that upping the Wellbrutin has had the desired effect.

Not good news for your son and I have no doubt that you really feel for him.
Good - but not good that it is needed - You will be able to guide him towards relevant and credible information.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

All these meds are such a crap shoot. We just never know if something is going to work or not. Let's hope the Wellbutrin continues to work well for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I'm glad it's working for you! I was on it for many years and was very happy with it.

Can I ask - what's your dose of Wellbutrin? You can take 150 mg two times a day but 300 mg in one dose is known for inducing seizures so be careful with doubling it.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ah your poor son. Mine too. He's 23, but he's known he has it for 5 or more years. Crappy. My boy also has some serious learning issues that may or may not be ADHD-inattentive type. He has some of the symptoms. ADHD can be caused in rodents by depriving them of iron in the fetal stage - mothers with WED/RLS are more likely to have children with ADHD - I see an overlap between those two studies: probably I had low iron when I was pregnant with him, so now he has ADHD on top of the RLS/WED. No, I'm not blaming myself, but I'm a little bitter about things...

Then again, he has also had concussions, which cause ADHD-like symptoms. He also has anxiety, which can cause ADHD-like symptoms. Concussions can cause anxiety. Anxiety also is common in RLS patients. It's hard to know what the heck is going on.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

badnights wrote:Ah your poor son. Mine too. He's 23, but he's known he has it for 5 or more years. Crappy. My boy also has some serious learning issues that may or may not be ADHD-inattentive type. He has some of the symptoms. ADHD can be caused in rodents by depriving them of iron in the fetal stage - mothers with WED/RLS are more likely to have children with ADHD - I see an overlap between those two studies: probably I had low iron when I was pregnant with him, so now he has ADHD on top of the RLS/WED. No, I'm not blaming myself, but I'm a little bitter about things...

Wow, I did not know that! My first DD is likely ADHD and I was anemic when I was PG with her. Second DD I started taking iron supplements when I started to feel run-down as a preemptive strike and she is not ADHD (at least not to the extent that first DD is).

However, to make us both feel better, I must point out that iron deficiency can't explain *all* ADHD inheritance, only that from the mother's side of the family. I got my ADHD from my dad, so there is definitely something else going on there.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm glad to know that. Despite what I said, I was verging on some sort of self-blame!