Daxitrol and Kavinace; urine biochem testing

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
karalea

Daxitrol and Kavinace; urine biochem testing

Post by karalea »

I went to a holistic MD in the summer who did urine neuro-chemistry testing on me. I got a call today from his office and was informed that I had chemical abnormalities which I was aware of since I got the results in the mail. I showed the results to my neurologist who did not seem to give much credence to this type of testing. The holistic MD is recommending that I take Daxitrol and Kavinance. The Daxitrol works on the Dopamine and Serotonin receptors to decrease cravings, both for substances (food, gambling etc) as well as the motivations to seek out the craved substance. (https://www.neurorelief.com/index.php?p ... 10&pid=149). I am not sure how or if this would affect the symptoms of RLS but I am wondering if this would enable me to go back on Mirapex which caused me to have a horrible compulsive eating problem which in turn caused me to gain 70lbs. The Kavinance somehow affects the Gamma cells in such a way so that it decreases anxiety and promotes sleep. It contains "Phenibut" which I believe is the main ingredient. I could not find much research on it that was scientific. Just a lot of advertising information promoting the product. I was wondering if anyone here had tried either of these 2 products. Also wondering what people think of biochemical urine testing in terms of merit. The holistic MD that I went to apparently is well known, with people seeking him out from various areas of the country.

ViewsAskew

Re: Daxitrol and Kavinace; urine biochem testing

Post by ViewsAskew »

The neuro responded as I'd expect. He'd want to see studies and scientific proof. The holistic doc likely has a different set of standards regarding how he chooses his treatments.

Do be careful if you try taking pramipexole again. Watch for signs of augmentation and the other issues you faced.

If you try it, do let us know what happens.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.