Opiates and drug testing

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jy13131

Opiates and drug testing

Post by jy13131 »

Well one of my biggest challenges I have dreaded is becoming a reality! I would like to change jobs and know for certain that a positive opioid test will result in non-hire. I take a total of 10 mgs of methadone and 10 of oxycodone. I am interested in any and all suggestions!!! I suddenly HATE my rls all over again.
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Re: Opiates and drug testing

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had this happen to me last year. I was PANICKED!

Here is what I learned. Most importantly, it all depends on the company. Some companies ONLY look for illegal substances. That turned out to be the case with me. I took 20-25 mg of methadone and had no idea what would happen. They never said a thing to me. My guess is that they only tested for cannibis, cocaine, meth, heroin, and so on.

Other companies search for legal substances that can be abused and purchased illegally, such as opioids. Then you have to provide a prescription and show you take it legally. In these cases, as long as you have a script for what you tested for, you are OK. Supposedly they cannot hold it against you (but it's entirely their policy - if they want to, there is no law preventing them, as I understand it).

The most strict companies (there aren't many, fortunately) actually test for legal substances that can inhibit performance. Say you are a forklift operator. They would test for opioids and if you were positive, they would prevent you from taking that job because it could make you sleepy. Even if you had a script, you'd lose the job.

I was so worried that I researched how to fool the system, lol. I didn't do it, but I was tempted! You can buy human urine. It's shipped with a warming pack that keeps it at 98 degrees. You put it in your undies along with the warming pack so that when you empty it, it's body temp. You leave the empty packet in your undies. In all but the strictest settings, no one watches you urinate. But, you cannot throw anything away and you are not allowed to wash your hands - they test them for something, if I remember correctly (and I can't remember why).

I wrote a post about my experience, though not sure it's worth looking at. If you search on drug testing, you'll likely find it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Well I am screwed. I am a drug and alcohol counselor!! And the sad thing is that I am an example (thus far) of someone in recovery who can use medication as prescribed and could help people who may be in similar dilemma. But I don't think unless I test clean I could get hired.
jy13131

QyX

Post by QyX »

jy13131 wrote:Well I am screwed. I am a drug and alcohol counselor!! And the sad thing is that I am an example (thus far) of someone in recovery who can use medication as prescribed and could help people who may be in similar dilemma. But I don't think unless I test clean I could get hired.

In this case, I would put the cards on the table and tell them that you take opioids for RLS.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

QyX wrote:
jy13131 wrote:Well I am screwed. I am a drug and alcohol counselor!! And the sad thing is that I am an example (thus far) of someone in recovery who can use medication as prescribed and could help people who may be in similar dilemma. But I don't think unless I test clean I could get hired.

In this case, I would put the cards on the table and tell them that you take opioids for RLS.

I have to agree with QyX. This may be the best option. You know what their concerns are going to be. While I do not like it and feel it's intrusive, you could agree to regular testing and if the level increases, to be under review or something. I think you could come right out and say what you said above. the worst that happens is that they say no.

In my field, I have to have a portfolio of my work. In the past ten years, fewer and fewer employers allow me to show my work to anyone else. I sign a confidentiality agreement that I will not share anything related to my time spent at their company. In recent years, I am not even allowed to share the NAME of the company. In the interview for the job that also required the drug screening, they wanted recent samples. I asked them if they would allow me to show samples of the work I did for them, should I be hired. They said no, I would not. I responded with, "And, neither did the last 5 companies I worked for." The had to admit the irony of it. Many people lie instead, and show things they shouldn't. They told me after they hired me that one of the reasons they did was because I was honest and they trusted me to protect their materials, just as I had protected my prior clients'.

Not exactly the same, but sometimes these things work in our favor. At least with genuine people they often do.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

aveerik

Post by aveerik »

jy13131 Employers usually test for marijuana, benzodiazapines, opiates, and amphetamines. If you have a prescription it shouldn't an issue. Does the job specifically say you will not qualify if you test positive? It seems like that would be over stepping what is okay legally. The methadone wouldn't normally be tested for so it shouldn't show up. Opiates don't take too long to get out of your system so could you go for a week with out? I would think your experience would be a huge asset to drug counseling and your past employment history more important then the prescriptions you take. They are prescribed? Before you give up see what your rights are. It would seem to me it would be medical discrimination. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Btw the thinner you are and the faster your metabolism the faster you would test clean. My sister tested negative for marijuana for a new job after only 5 days of not smoking pot. She didn't over hydrate which is a definite red flag, the only thing she did was eat really clean. We have a very low body fat and super fast metabolism and as you know marijuana is fat soluble where as opiates are not so they would be gone really fast.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It's not reasonable to think she could go a week without medication. What state would she be in then?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

lynneat

Post by lynneat »

I'm new here. Oxycodone is for pain right? Does RLS hurt some people? I don't mean to offend...I'm trying to learn. My husband has plm...not rls and I'm trying to learn the diff. In his sleep..movements to restart breathing...cpap took care of that but no rem sleep. It's INSANE! ANYway that's what I'm doing here. I just saw this about oxycodone and wondered how it fits in with movements. Thanks.

lynneat

Post by lynneat »

I wouldn't stop ANY medication without titrating from a doctor. That is good advise. If you have a prescription you don't need to worry about testing. Otherwise....you really do.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

lynneat wrote:I'm new here. Oxycodone is for pain right? Does RLS hurt some people? I don't mean to offend...I'm trying to learn. My husband has plm...not rls and I'm trying to learn the diff. In his sleep..movements to restart breathing...cpap took care of that but no rem sleep. It's INSANE! ANYway that's what I'm doing here. I just saw this about oxycodone and wondered how it fits in with movements. Thanks.

See my post to your other questions - but quick answer, opioids stop WED - the sensations, the urge to move, the anxiety. PLMS are a bit different. They have MANY causes and are common with apnea. Opioids do not always control PLMS.

80 percent of people with WED have PLMS.

But, only 20% of people with PLMS have WED. That means a HUGE number of people have PLMS and it's unrelated to WED. It often doesn't cause any difficulty. Studies show that just because people move in their sleep doesn't automatically mean they are having difficult sleeping or are awakening.

Managing Your RLS

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

lynneat wrote:I'm new here. Oxycodone is for pain right? Does RLS hurt some people? I don't mean to offend...I'm trying to learn. My husband has plm...not rls and I'm trying to learn the diff. In his sleep..movements to restart breathing...cpap took care of that but no rem sleep. It's INSANE! ANYway that's what I'm doing here. I just saw this about oxycodone and wondered how it fits in with movements. Thanks.

Although my WED initially started as the classic creepy-crawly, restless legs variety, over the years it has morphed to include electrical shock sensations and pain with a captital P. About a decade ago opiods, specifically Vicodin, were added to my regimen. I have not yet graduated to the Oxy's and others though that certainly could be a distinct possibility at some future juncture. So, yes WED (RLS) can hurt and, over the years, I think the pain aspects of the disorder and the use of narcotic/opiod meds has become increasingly more a part of treatment plans.

PLMD and WED/RLS are different. PLMD generally refers to rhythmic, repetitive limb movements during sleep most typically in the lower limbs. PLMD can be observed and diagnosed through a sleep study. The "severity" level may vary as can its impact on sleep. WED/RLS refers to the urge/need to move ones legs (typically) that usually occurs during rest and gets better with activity/movement. It usually occurs in the evening although many experience WED 24/7. WED/RLS does not occur during sleep (as you are sleeping) but seriously impacts ones ability to fall asleep or rest. As mentioned, PLM's occur during sleep. WED/RLS cannot be diagnosed through a sleep study but is diagnosed through clinical interview. There are estimates indicating that about 80% of individuals with WED/RLS also have PLMD. Many of the same medications that are used to treat WED can also be used to treat PLMD. That could possibly include opiods such as oxycodone.
Last edited by Sojourner on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

And, to add one more thing - PLMD is ONLY diagnosed when there is NO other sleep disorder. If there is another sleep disorder, then you have PLMS - periodic movement in sleep. As I said above, these are very common with other sleep disorders. They don't know much about them. When they occur with apnea, as I understand it, they almost always go away once the apnea is controlled.

He MUST have a sleep study in which he breaths successfully in the lab. No awakenings, no breathing issues. If he has had that in the lab, then you need to find out why not at home. If this didn't happen in the lab, then they need to keep working on it for him.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

When I was hired by Kraft I was worried about it as well, but I was told don't worry about it. As long as I have a prescription and it doesn't impact my ability to drive, it wouldn't be an issue. And it never has been. And I am required to drive a car for my job.

I was tested by hair sample though, which can go back a long time. Stuff you took a month ago could be detectable, etc.