Pain meds really work

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
KJOYCE0003

Pain meds really work

Post by KJOYCE0003 »

I have had RLS since I was a child. I went to a doc about a year and a half ago and was given gabapentin and ropinirole and clonazepam. The Clonazepam worked ok the other 2 gave me a major headache or just made me feel worse. I got into a car accident a few months ago and they gave me some pain meds and told me not to take my clonazepam with it. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to sleep but they worked better than the meds for the RLS has anyone else had a same reaction to pain medicine.

Sojourner

Re: Pain meds really work

Post by Sojourner »

What kind of pain meds? I think there are many who post here, myself included, who have benefitted from various pain meds such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc. But, while the pain meds may work for WED symptoms, they come with their own unintended consequences and side effects which preclude many from using them without some cost. Good advice about not mixing the meds unless given some sort of approval or close monitoring by you physical. I hope you continue to have good luck with your current plan.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's amazing how many of us find out because of an accident or surgery that opioids are effective!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

"Pain medications" or opioids are a well-known treatment for WED/RLS. Give your doctor the WED Foundation's Medical Bulletin for healthcare practitioners;
WED/RLS Medical Bulletin: A Publication for Healthcare Providers. Aimed at healthcare providers, written by physicians, this document is very useful for patients who want to understand the disease.

Your doctor might already know that opioids are effective, but he/she is willing to ignore it because there is so much bad press now about opioid addictions, and because he/she doesn't have a clue what agony and horror this disease can cause.

Opioid meds will almost always work, the only thing that stops people taking them is frequently there are unbearable side effects of various kinds. OTherwise, opioids deal with the symptoms very well, as well as the dopaminergics and better than the anti-convulsants, generally. And without any risk of augmentation.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Opioid meds will almost always work, the only thing that stops people taking them is frequently there are unbearable side effects of various kinds. OTherwise, opioids deal with the symptoms very well, as well as the dopaminergics and better than the anti-convulsants, generally. And without any risk of augmentation.

I totally agree.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

They (opiates) have improved the quality of my life immensely. I tried everything else first!! Thank heavens I have a doctor who believes in them. And I wouldn't dream of abusing them because if I lost the ability to use them as prescribed, I would be sentencing myself to sleepless-hell.