anti-depressant

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Gabby

anti-depressant

Post by Gabby »

I've been on Lexapro for 10 years or so - about the same time I've suffered with RLS. Has anyone gone off their anti-depressant and felt relief from RLS?
It's such a catch22 for me. I'm getting more and more depressed because of the RLS so I have to take the anti-depressant which may be making it worse :(

Polar Bear

Re: anti-depressant

Post by Polar Bear »

My understanding is that if an antidepressant is needed then so be it, and WED/RLS medication should be adjusted to deal with any extra symptoms. But there are different antidepressants and some may work better than others and have less negative impact than others. And not everyone who takes an AD will have a bad effect, although the % makes it something to be wary of.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I could take an antidepressant for awhile, then it became impossible. But also I no longer work, which was one of the causes for me to need one. Also have a different husband now. Life can change. But some are better than others. I think you will just have to try. My last one was Remeron. But it also put weight on me. When I stopped it, the weight came off. It's difficult. Sorry.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some people do find that WED is completely related to their AD. But, as Polar Bear said, if you are going to be sad, depressed, and can't live your life, then you take an AD.

You might find that a different AD solve your depression, however, and doesn't worsen the WED. Just because one worsens it doesn't mean that others will.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Gabby

Post by Gabby »

I am weaning myself off of the anti-depressant. If I see a big change then I will go back on it. I have to try to see if the RLS symptons are not as severe off of the Lexapro.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I am on Lexapro (30mg). When I was on 40mg, my symptoms were much worse, so cutting back to 30mg was sweet spot. My RLS doc wanted me on Wellbutrin instead (apparently does not cause extra RLS symptoms) but because I have a history of anorexia, I cannot take Wellbutrin ever. Seems bizarre to me (something about increased risk of seizures??) but if you have EVER had any kind of eating disorder, you cannot take Wellbutrin. Otherwise, might be worth talking to your GP or Psychiatrist about it.

Gabby

Post by Gabby »

Thanks Joanie60. I hope you're doing well with the eating disorder. That is good to know about the Wellbutrin. I have a feeling I will never be able to get off the antidepressant. I can feel the difference with depression and anxeity. I'm on 20 mg of lexapro

skn0412

Post by skn0412 »

Gabby wrote:Thanks Joanie60. I hope you're doing well with the eating disorder. That is good to know about the Wellbutrin. I have a feeling I will never be able to get off the antidepressant. I can feel the difference with depression and anxeity. I'm on 20 mg of lexapro

Hey Gabby....how are you doing on the 20mg Lexapro? That's the dose I take and so far no RLS problems.
Hugs !!
Sue

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

The reason why people with a history of eating disorders can't take Wellbutrin is because it can increase anxiety and cause anorexia (not anorexia nervosa, just anorexia). So with the tendency for the drug to reduce the body's "I'm hungry" signals, and increasing the anxiety levels, which can trigger anorexia nervosa, it's risky to give to people with formerly disordered eating.

Having said that, I was anorexic as a teen and I was on Wellbutrin for many years and didn't relapse. But I was in a different place at that point, so the things that had triggered the anorexia as a teen were no longer major factors in my life.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Lexapro (Escitalopram) was worsening my RLS/WED symptoms even at dose of 5 mg. The first weeks on Escitalopram were good but then I developed more and more uncontrollable RLS symptoms. The only option was to stop Escitalopram completly. But it was working fine as an antidepressent. It improved energy, mood and anxiety rapidly within days.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am taking citalopram 20mg for about 3 years - which I imagine is only slightly different to the escitalopram.
I don't appear to have had a negative reaction. On the other hand as well as taking ropinerole, I also take codeine and SR Tramadol for other issues and they could be masking any worsening because of the citalopram. However, as far as I'm concerned I'm not noticing anything negative.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

alice

Post by alice »

I had read articles that Wellbrutrin was the best for RLS patients as well as anyone with PLM disorders. I got along fine with it and no exacerbation of RLS except it caused me to have hair loss. After reading these postings I think I will try to take citalopram and see if that does anything to RLS. Any other suggestions I will be happy to hear. Alice

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

alice wrote:I had read articles that Wellbrutrin was the best for RLS patients as well as anyone with PLM disorders. I got along fine with it and no exacerbation of RLS except it caused me to have hair loss. After reading these postings I think I will try to take citalopram and see if that does anything to RLS. Any other suggestions I will be happy to hear. Alice

Welbutrin is the first one suggested because it rarely, if ever, exacerbates symptoms. It just doesn't always help, either.

In terms of what to try? Any one of them could worsen symptoms, but most only affect a small percentage of us. Try this - you'll know quickly if it helps or not. If it doesn't, try another. It's not fun to feel like a lab animal, but it's the only way sometimes.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jayne

Post by jayne »

What anti-depressants, besides bupropion (wellbutrin) has anyone taken with success? I read Serzone, Desipramine, Nortriptyline and Trazadone were RLS friendly. I tried Trazadone 2 nights and couldn't get to sleep with very dry mouth. Has anyone had succesful anti depressant treatment the recommended RLS AD's? I think Serzone was pulled for liver problems at some point but it's available in generic form now. Wellbutrin does help RLS but gave me extreme insomnia and only lasted 9 days.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi jayne - the problem is that any of them may be ok. But, it's individual. You can try anything - none of them are problems for all of us.

In a study a few years ago of several SSRIs, the worst caused problems for 20% of us. The best was about 3 or 4% if I remember correctly. We have people here taking things that make other people's WED/RLS go crazy - and it works great.

I think the best we can do is be aware that they may cause problems, alert the other doctors we're working with, and immediately tell the doc if our symptoms are worse. It's sort of a crap shoot.

Managing Your RLS