Elavil

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jittermel

Elavil

Post by jittermel »

I'm new here, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.:) I was just dx with RLS, and the doctor gave me Elavil. Well, I looked into it, and I'm not sure I want to take Elavil for RLS, because everything I'm reading is saying not to take it with RLS, to avoid it because it can make it worse. Does anyone know anything else about this med, and what else I could do? I really don't want to take medication; I'd like to try other types of treatments, but I'm not sure how to go about it. He told me that Elavil is specifically for RLS, but that's not true. It's an antidepressant, and everything says don't take it. I'm also in nursing school right now and have a family, so I need something that won't make me so drowsy. I would welcome any advice. Help!:) Thanks so much.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jittermel, you did a great job researching Elavil. It definitely is not for RLS and can easily make it worse. If it were me, I'd first try to find a doctor that was better versed in RLS. If you can't, then you may need to get as educated as you can, print off materials, and help guide your doctor to give you more appropriate help. The links in this post should help you:

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

Ann