Adding Lyrica?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Adding Lyrica?

Post by ViewsAskew »

QyX wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:I think it's really the perception issues. At least here in the US, the mood is definitely anti-opioid. And, the deaths attributed to these drugs has increased rapidly over the last twenty years and the number of prescriptions written has increased tremendously.

In the US, it's consider an epidemic. The proposals blame the narcotics and try to ban them in certain ways, rather than dealing with the real issues. It's maddening because one day soon, if it keeps up this way, I won't be able to get a script!

What are the real issues here?

Medicine without opioids is just impossible.

Maybe the U.S. was too liberal in the past but right now it looks like it is going in absolute opposite direction ...

And patients suffer ...

I absolutely agree! The did go too far, but that was the doctors who prescribed it. Now ALL patients pay the price?????
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I remember being prescribed Percocet for CRAMPS!! This was probably 30 years ago. I think docs would suggest a hysterectomy before giving you an opiate for cramps haha.

I think you are exactly right QyX...docs overprescribed, kids got hooked on their parents pills then moved to heroin, and now the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

I had a great vacation and was able to stick to 3 Percocets per day. Just read about the new non-pharmacological device coming out in September...it was in the WED newsletter, I forget the name of it. Maybe that will help?

I am not going to bug my doc about the Lyrica until I have to. I just have to remember that for me, the WED symptoms wax and wane and sometimes I just have to tough it out instead of always looking for complete relief. In my experience, it hasn't happened yet, probably won't happen, and I just have to go with it :-)

Neco

Post by Neco »

I am convinced the DEA is the driving force behind all this nonsense.

Almost every doctor I've talked to, its been "DEA this DEA that". Most doctors are flat out scared of losing their licenses, or reputations with an investigation, etc.

Because of the miniscule percentage of bad doctors/patients that are diverting stuff. Even Methadone clinics have diversion problems it seems.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you look at the statistics, the increase in deaths is real - and it increased at a startling rate. In about 20 years, deaths tripled from overdoses.

The CDC tracks the deaths. People are part of the problem - they take these drugs when they shouldn't. Doctors gave opioid naive people scripts for things they shouldn't have. The war on drugs is likely part of the problem, though, too. As with most things, there are many factors.

Ultimately, though, making it harder for all people to get these drugs isn't the appropriate response!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.