Clonazepam

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
PeaceAngel

Clonazepam

Post by PeaceAngel »

Im just curious to know, those who are taking Clonazepam, does it actually reduce the sensations in your legs/body or does it just knock you out?? I haven't been able to find any specific informations on this.
Cheers guys.

Polar Bear

Re: Clonazepam

Post by Polar Bear »

My understanding is that it does have some benefit with regard to WED symptoms but that mainly it helps you sleep.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

QyX

Post by QyX »

It did reduce my sensations to some point. Other Benzos didn't but still Clonazepam was nothing for me. Over the time I developed a really poor sleep quality and meanwhile I stopped taking Benzos at all.

In addition to my opioid I take the anticonvulsant Carbamazepine. Works better in reducing sensations then Clonazepam and also improves sleep.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

My Neuro gave it to me (1/2 mg) to use along with 2 mg Ropinrole at night to relax enough to go to sleep. I'm not sure, if it does that much; but, I do usually get 4 or 5 hours of sleep before I get up to go to the bathroom and then go back to sleep another 2-3 hours. Some nights, it still takes awhile to "settle down".

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Didn't reduce mine at all.

Most doctors who are experienced in treating WED (all types of cases) do not use it - a few I've talked to believe it does not help the sensations much, if at all. In the US, if they use a benzo they are more likely to use a short acting one.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

PeaceAngel

Post by PeaceAngel »

Hmmmm.... So far I have been on Repreve, which I built up a tolerance to within three months of upping the dose and then my doctor tried me on Biperiden, which caused me to hallucinate, badly and did nothing for the sensations in my legs at all and now he is talking about putting me on Clonazepam. I know it's far from
Ideal, but I have been selfs medicating with 10mg if oxycodone every night at bedtime thanks to unused meds my dad had laying around and it works wonders for the sensations in my legs. It's just numbed shem completely and enables me to sleep and I wondered if the benzos have the same effect. I don't want to ask my doctor outright to prescribe me the opioid meds as that's just gonna make me out to be looking for pills but I'm worried the clonoazepam won't work. I hate this pain in the **** of a condition. Sorry for the rant.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

I just tried Clonazepam (up to 1mg/evening), additional to Tilidin (opioid). After two weeks the WED symptoms were worse than before, so we stopped the Clonazepam. It did knock me out to some degree, but so did Sifrol when I was still taking it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Benzos absolutely do not work as opioids so. There is some research that suggests the endogenous opioid system is involved in WED. Opioids helps almost all of us. Benzos works completely differently, unfortunately.

If you have the book, Clinical Management of Restless LEgs Syndrome (make sure you get the second edition, with Lee as the lead author), you can use it with your doctor. Your doctor isn't as up on WED treatment as you'd probably prefer, but with this book, you can both be sure you're trying things that really work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.