Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
chuas2

Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

Post by chuas2 »

I take a plethora of rx drugs for depression, anxiety, back pain/sciatica. Thinking about trying bupropion in place of the venlafaxine because of it's a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It is, however, a very weak DA...has anyone used it and had success with WED as well as depression?

The mirtazapine I'm taking in addition to the venlafaxine I think works because it's an SNRI rather than an SSRI (not sure there, I'm no chemist).

Although suffering from WED can cause one to become depressed, I think my depression is more endogenous. I AM somewhat concerned with serotonin syndrome though. I imagine that people my age (almost 60), have multiple medications, in addition to which more physicians are "layering" anti-depressants.

So for those with depression and WED:
1. Any positive results just with bupropion?
2. Any concerns with serotonin syndrome?
3. Anyone layering SSRIs with SNRIs: significant difference?
4. Am I making any sense? Let me remind you, I'm sleep deprived, although that's probably about 80% of the people here

Kris - I searched previous posts to see if this has already been addressed and didn't see anything, but I may have missed a thread. Forgive me if I'm being redundant (my husband says usually) :D

Polar Bear

Re: Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

Post by Polar Bear »

Here in the UK we do not have Wellbrutin as an anti depressant, it is only licenced to be used to help cessation of smoking.
My understanding is that it is very compatible with WED although not perhaps as efficient as an anti depressant as some other ADs. If I'm wrong in this someone will correct me.

I'm sure that I read on Dr Buchfuhrer's letters page that he considered mirtazapine, one of the older medications, to be a possibility when seeking a WED friendly AD.

Seratonin Syndrome I have read about - I'm unaware of anyone on the discussion board having the condition.

Indeed, you are making sense, perhaps as we are all sleep deprived we understand ''sleep-deprived-talk'' .... Just kidding, you are very clear.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've had depression, but always in reaction to something, so stopping the *something* allowed me to function mostly happily again. I've not needed to take any ADs.

Because people tend to come and go on the forum, it's possible someone wrote about this a year ago and isn't now reading the board. While it's a bit of reading, search on Wellbutirn (in all names you know of - people come from different countries - so we have different brands along with the generic names used). You might find your answer.

Hopefully someone is reading this now who has an answer.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I think it's in the latest NW magazine that I read that dr B mentioned that Wellbutrin can cause anxiety in some people. I didn't know that.
Corrie

chuas2

Post by chuas2 »

Well, so much for Wellbutrin. My psychopharm says people taking this medication are much more prone to seizures from serotonin syndrome than those taking other SSRIs, or SNRIs. That said, I've had two sleepless nights in a row...:-(

Sleepless in California

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ah - interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

What are you going to try next?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

chuas2

Post by chuas2 »

Hi Ann! Well, I've been taking buprenorphine (2-4 MG) and that seems to help. I was trying to get off of opiates entirely, but I'm afraid to try DAs. Not sure why, except my WED went from bad to intolerable when I tried to stop the buprenorphine. :(

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think a lot of us experience weirdness (very technical term) when we stop drugs. I think most of the drugs we take alter brain chemistry. Since brain chemistry is SO complex and we do not understand WED completely, who knows why, but it makes sense to me (who is not a doctor).

I have wondered quite a bit lately if we shouldn't completely stop drugs, be miserable, then try new ones. When we try new drugs and we haven't completely gotten the other drugs, I am wondering if the other drugs really can work.

Managing Your RLS

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

"I have wondered quite a bit lately if we shouldn't completely stop drugs, be miserable, then try new ones. When we try new drugs and we haven't completely gotten the other drugs, I am wondering if the other drugs really can work."

In theory that sounds like a clearer path to more definitive answers. I remember when I would be put on one med with incremental increases as the problematic med was decreased and it just seemed like trying to see in muddy water. When weaning with no replacement med, I remember well the dread and near fear of the misery I knew was coming. I always feel the worst for those who take meds that cause or worsen WED but can't bear the thought of going off those meds. Guess that's what it means to be between a rock and a hard place. No easy answers.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I admit to NEVER wanting to be in that horrid place of no medication ever again! I know that you get through it. I know - intellectually - that it won't kill me. I know that there is always the "other side" and that you eventually get to it.

But, the thought, emotionally, of being without ANYTHING to reduce symptoms is terrifying!

Managing Your RLS

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I will never stop all my meds again. I tried and lasted only for 2 days. I started my meds again and thought all was well but I got in a very deep depression which I hadn't expected at all. It was so bad that I needed help. Thank God it only lasted 5 weeks during which I had terrible anxiety and angst and after these 5 weeks I got up one morning and felt OK again. Our brain chemistry certainly works in a weird way. I have told myself and my doc that I never ever will stop all meds at the same time again. I'd rather die; I'm dead serious. The only time I might think about it is if I am allowed the pain pump one day hopefully. Moreover: I think that when you stop all meds for 6 weeks or so it might well be that after 4 months or so you will be on the same dosages as before and in that case I don't think it's worth it. I have just read a story on RLS UK from someone who stopped all meds and ended up in hospital: not nice.

Maybe stopping the meds for 10 days like dr Early does (the Foundation has a leaflet on it) may be doable for some of us.
Corrie

chuas2

Post by chuas2 »

I'm slowly becoming reconciled to the fact that I'll always need some meds, OR else have moderate to severe WED symptoms, depression, anxiety, and arthritis pain.

Funny thing about this situation is that I'm currently looking for work. Many companies require drug testing as well as a background check. At the moment, I have prescriptions for adderall and buprenorphine, both of which would raise red flags on drug screens. But it's unrealistic to try and stop all medications, because they help me function and feel better. But it's difficult to try and convince an employer that I diligently monitor my controlled substances, and do not stand on the street trying to sell them. In fact, the idea is downright ludicrous to anyone who knows me!

But it's a dilemma, for sure.
[scratching head]
Kris

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I recall a couple of posts on the subject of having an interview where tests would take place, and being on medication, but can't recall the result.
Could have been that the meds were accepted, not sure. You could search but it is likely that a lot of posts will be thrown and it can be tedious to work through them.

Perhaps you will soon receive a reply from a member who has been involved in such a situation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I don't think kratom (a mild legal opioid--look on wikipedia) comes up in a regular drug screening test, at least that's what multiple web sites say. They also say a drug screening test is being developed that would pick up kratom, but I'm not sure why a company would bother using it, since kratom is legal.

I use it for my WED and it usually works quite well.

Mary