Impulse Control Disorder and Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
davisri57

Impulse Control Disorder and Requip

Post by davisri57 »

Since beginning requip over 5 years ago, and requiring 4-6mg of requip to adequately control RLS symptoms, I have developed impulse control disorders as a side effect of this medication. It manifests in a need to consume soda, strict time regimens, need to run 3-4 miles daily, and especially calorie consciousness and desire to lose weight. I have never been concerned with calories or weight control before the medication. In fact, I have never had a weight problem and am very skinny (5' 7" and 135 lbs). Despite this, I strive to lose weight and am upset adding a few pounds.

I am very curious to know if anyone has also developed such impulse control disorders especially as it relates to weight control.

Thank You!

ViewsAskew

Re: Impulse Control Disorder and Requip

Post by ViewsAskew »

Impulse control 's a known side effect. I can't say I've heard of anyone with a need to lose weight, but in my opinion (and I'm not a doctor) I don't think all of us manifest impulse control in the typical ways (sex and money are the two most common). I had a general preoccupation with food. I couldn't go more than a few minutes without thinking about it. It would even wake me up at night and I'd have to talk myself out of going to the refrigerator. You MUST talk to your doctor.

Your dose of ropinerole is very high for today's standards. Regardless, it's likely you'll need to switch away from all dopamine agonists. If your doctor is not familiar with this side effect (it's well known with Parkinson's patients, much less so with us), you may need to find another doc to help you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Hmmm, consuming soda, strict time regimes, running 3+ miles per day, that sound a lot like my life before starting dopamine agonists. :D
And, you thin yes but are not all that skinny. I have you by four inches at the same weight. No wonder they called my beanpole as a kid.

But as Ann said, impulse control is one of the more frequent side effects that causes people to have to get off of any of the dopamine agonists. Getting off the requip should quickly resolve your compulsion issues, if the drug is responsible. However, if you do try to get off it, you need to do with with your doctor's help and he/she needs to understand what is involved. You will need help, probably in the form of some sort of opiate to get you through the rough spells over the first week or two.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

While I did have impulse control issues on Mirapex, sure can't say it was in controlling what I ate. I got to the point where my desire to have food would drive me to be in the kitchen cooking a meal at 3am. I also had what I think was a hybrid of the spending and the gambling issues, which are commonly reported. Before Mirapex I enjoyed a bargain, scoring something of value for a little bit of nothing. On Mirapex, I was spending bill money of thrift shop finds, always excusing the spending with how much I could sell the items for on ebay. I was on a mission to find the golden egg, the one thing I would take home and look up on the computer and find out it was worth a fortune. Besides the impulse control issues, I was augmenting horribly so I had no choice but to get off dopamine agonists. The problems resolved once off the meds.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

davisri57 wrote:Since beginning requip over 5 years ago, and requiring 4-6mg of requip to adequately control RLS symptoms, I have developed impulse control disorders as a side effect of this medication. It manifests in a need to consume soda, strict time regimens, need to run 3-4 miles daily, and especially calorie consciousness and desire to lose weight. I have never been concerned with calories or weight control before the medication. In fact, I have never had a weight problem and am very skinny (5' 7" and 135 lbs). Despite this, I strive to lose weight and am upset adding a few pounds.

Impulse control disorders manifest in highly variable ways, and can be quite dangerous. I would strongly recommend to switch to a different medication (no dopamine agonists) before you develop an ICD with more severe implications - and yes, your daily Requip dose is way too high for WED.

.f

heart

Post by heart »

In last 3 months im having terrible problems with sexual urges I've been on 3mg neupro patch for around a year after augmenting on another drug plus clonazepam at night plus iron and vit d supplements i still cant sleep and can't see my doc for 2 weeks i feel like i may have rgs now does anyone know what will happen if I just stop using patches until I can see my dr
along with my partner of 16 years leaving because of it plmd, apnea this is now to much for me to bear I can't leave the house through lack of energy and also fear I may succumb to my compulsions I have lost my company because I can't think or remember anything I just don't know what to do

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It sounds like this is a very difficult time, heart.

If you call your doctor and say it is an emergency, would that help get an appointment more quickly?

I am not as familiar with how to stop using rotigotine as the other DAs. My guess would be that you could immediately start reducing them - even cut them in half (I know they say not to do that because all of the drug may not be dispersed evenly, but you'd still get less). In three days, cut the remaining half into a quarter. Then, in three days, stop. Gradual reduction is usually done like that. Have you searched on the internet just to see if there are recommendations for how to stop rotigotine?

Also, you can write to Dr Buchfuhrer - somno@verizon.net. He answers questions from people like us - who are having difficulty, can't find a good doctor or see our doctor. He might tell you the best way to stop the drug.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

heart - so sorry you are in this position.
Definitely, take on board Views' comments, and write to Dr B.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation