Neupro

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rustsmith

Re: Neupro

Post by Rustsmith »

Things went beautifully until bedtime when I had a major flareup. I was up until 1A walking and working, which was a 24hr day. I finally collapsed and was able to get 4 hrs of sleep and could have gotten more if I did not have a dermatologist appointment first thing this morning.

So the good news is that the mild daytime symptoms I have been having for the last month were gone. As for bedtime, I give the results a mixed score. Although I was not able to get to sleep until 1A, that is different from my schedule on Neupro. I think that with a bit more tweaking on timing of my nighttime dose, I may be able to get back to normal. However, I was still up walking around the neighborhood at night as well as working on my computer after midnight, so there is still work to be done.

Of course the other message here is that I was able to seamlessly switch from Neupro to pramipexole without a transition period. I simply removed the patch one morning and started taking pills. I am pretty sure that I would have seen an improvement at night as well as what I experienced during the day if I had just gotten the timing down a bit better.

So, the preliminary conclusion is that the Neupro was responsible for limiting my sleep by allowing me to go to sleep normally by then causing me to wake up at 1:30 to 3A each day. Although that allowed for some very productive days, after more than a year it was starting to take its toll on me.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am tired just thinking about how it must have been for the last year!

I hope this does work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm just wondering how last night's sleep pattern went for you.......
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The second day/night went better. I made a point of taking most of my evening dose a bit earlier and I think that helped. I actually managed to get almost six hours of sleep. I woke up several times, but was always able to get back to sleep. This has me taking more pramipexole than before (or Dr B would recommend), but if it will tide me over until I get to Colorado in two months, then I will be happy.
Steve

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's good news.

Since you are likely augmented, it makes sense that you need a higher dose. As you said, it just needs to work for the next few months.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well done, I hope tonight goes well.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

It has now been five days since I switched from Neupro back to pramipexole. Although I am still working on the timing for taking the pramipexole to avoid need-to-move symptoms, I can definitely say that it was the Neupro that was causing my sleep problems. I am getting at least an hour and a half more sleep each night and do not have problems with daytime sleepiness. The daytime sleepiness was causing the greatest problem because I was having a hard time driving for more than about an hour and a half without having to stop and sleep for a few minutes. That would have prevented us from being able to drive to Colorado for our move because my wife would not be up to doing most of the driving for the two day trip.
Steve

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I just started the Neupro 2mg patch 4 days ago and the only bad side effect I am having is extreme nausea, however, no rls. The doc had me stop all my other rls meds. Does anyone know how long it will take for nausea to pass?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

it really depends. You could see if the doc would let you try the 1 mg patch first, then move to a 2 mg.

Some people never lose the nausea - or at least they finally stop taking it because the nausea hasn't yet stopped. Fortunately most do within the first few weeks.

Managing Your RLS