Mirapex to gabapentin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Kupkee

Re: Mirapex to gabapentin

Post by Kupkee »

It seems to have lost effectiveness what's the best way to take this. I took a third 75 mg last night. I didn't sleep well and I'm a little spacey today. I'm wondering if divided doses would be better. My doc prescribed 75 mg at bed time but I'm reading it might have to build in your system so bed time dosing might not be the way to go

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

For some reason, some of us seem to have that happen. Could be a temporary thing, could be that you just needed a bit more.

Divided dosing works for many of us for a lot of drugs. But, especially when they need to build up and have consistent levels.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Last night was another night where I had a hard time getting to sleep. Symptoms aren't as bad as they have been but annoying enough to keep me awake. Today I decided no more screwing arround. I'm going to 150 am and 150 pm which brings me to the study dose. I'll give this a whirl see how it goes. I've gained about ten lbs but I attribute this to eating at night when I can't sleep. I have the option of adding zopiclone which pooped out but maybe a synergistic effect might make them work again. I'll wait a bit for that and give this dose a chance.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Here's hoping it works.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

First day at 300 mg. slept good last night. Had vivid dreams which I assume means I'm asleep long enough to reach that stage. Woke up feeling good. Even though it was 430 to go to work. Fingers crossed

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Kupkee wrote:First day at 300 mg. slept good last night. Had vivid dreams which I assume means I'm asleep long enough to reach that stage. Woke up feeling good. Even though it was 430 to go to work. Fingers crossed

:clap:

Managing Your RLS

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I was told that gabapentin not only helps you get to sleep, but also helps you get into a deeper, more refreshing sleep.

I too started having more dreams than when I started higher doses than 300mg. I use a CPAP machine that give me a bit of feedback on my sleep and I could see the improvement in the CPAP data.

I hope that by vivid dreams that you mean that they are very realistic. I know of an anti-malarial drug that a listed side effect is "vivid" dreams. I am told that those who took it and had this dream said that "vivid" was a gross understatement and that the drug caused the worst nightmares that they had ever experienced.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Yes by vivid I mean seems real but nothing traumatizing. I have nights where it's hard to get to sleep but slept good when I did. But overall it's getting better. Hopefully will continue to

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Not sure what to do now. I had a cold. But I started getting really bloated and my stomache distended from gas. I thought it was just a stomache virus but it persisted for days. I was sick to my stomahe on Easter Sunday. I had thought it might be lyrica causing this so I tapered off over a few days. It seems to be hit and miss as far as working. Might need to go see my doc again. Not sure if I should keep going with this. Maybe it was a virus. I've been completely off since Easter Monday and had diahrea today all morning

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

That sequence sound a lot like a virus rather than the Lyrica. However, that is something your doctor is much better suited to tell you.
Steve

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

So lyrica and gabapentin was a bust for me. I'm doing one week mirapex and the problem is finding something for the off week. My most recent script is clonazepam. If definitely is relaxing and I feel like I want to sleep but my leg syndrome is almost worst. I'm wondering do I need a higher dose. I went to 1 mg but no go. Keep in mind it's only going to be used alternating weeks. So a higher dose doesn't make me worry about dependance a I won't be doing it more than 7 days with a 7 day break. Don't know why she's comfortable with a benzo but not narcotics

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Clonazepam is also used to treat seizures and many find it helps with WED/RLS. However, as we know, we all suffer in different ways and have or have not success with various medications. Many sufferers have also found that clonazepam doesn't help them at all.
I wonder have you tried tramadol - this can be helpful.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Agreed with Polar Bear - clonazepam often doesn't help the WED, rather it knocks us out so we aren't aware of it. It seems to help some, but I've seen stats that say it's more like 20% that are helped. Not surprising, then, that you'd be in the 80%! For me, it was similar to you - I was very relaxed and tired, but couldn't sleep. It was worse than being awake because I didn't want to get up and move (and doing so can actually be dangerous - older people fracture hips using benzos because the fall when under the influence).

Yeah, I honestly don't understand the benzo comfort level - it took me 7-8 months, IIRC, to get through dependence on clonazepam and I was only on it for 4-5 months!

Managing Your RLS

Aipulu

Post by Aipulu »

I am in the middle of getting off 1 mg of Mirapex and going to Horizant (gabapentin encarbil). I tried to get my sleep doctor to prescribe me an opioid but he would only agree to Ultram (tramadol).I was able to cut the 1 mg in half to 0.5 mg of Mirapex using 500 mg of Ultram without too much pain. I stayed on this for one week. I then cut it to 0.375 and needed 50 -100 mg of Ultram to fight the pains of augmentation, mostly in the wrist. AFter about 5 days I went down to 0.25 mg MIrapex and started the Horizant at the 600 mg dosage. The augmentation pains got worse, both in the daytime and in the evening. But with 100 mg of Ultram I was able to sleep. After 5 days I cut Mirapex to 0.125 mg with Horizant at 600 mg. I had a horrible night. Didn't get from a party until 11:30pm which is when I took the 0.125 Mirapex. I had taken a 50 mg of Ultram before the party and took another 50 mg at the party. I took another 50 mg at 12:30am and another 50 mg at 2:00 pm. for a total of 200 mg of Ultram. First time I had ever used more than 100 mg of Ultram. But I needed it and finally got to sleep around 3 am. I am close to being off Mirapex and will either wait a few more days or just cut it out completely tonight. I am debating whether going too slowly getting off Mirapex prolongs the suffering but will probably produce more painful symptoms. If anyone reads this and has some advice, please give it.

What I don't know is if and when the Horizant will be enough to treat my RLS by itself. What is a time period, say a few weeks, before the augmentation pains from MIrapex and gone? I am reading that it could be anywhere from 5 days to 4 or 5 weeks. Any experience out there?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dr B suggests that fast (to a point) is best. If you are taking a higher dose (1.5 to 2 mg or more), you do need to titrate more slowly. Below that, he usually has people quit immediately. BUT, he gives them an opioid!

The worst will be when you completely stop, most likely. There are hundreds of posts here about augmentation, so please feel free to read some to get more in depth info - but the general consensus is that it takes from 5 days to 3 to 4 weeks to get over the increased symptoms. When you stop the drug, symptoms increase more than in the past - it's truly scary. Some people are fine by day 5. Others not so much. An opioid helps get through it. So, what you read is exactly what it can be. And there is no way to know what will happen to you. Hope for 4 or 5, be prepared for more :-).

My RLS is not painful - it's creepy-crawly - so I don't experience what you do. That said, I wanted to confirm that when you say "augmentation pains" you mean increased RLS, as you normally experience it, just more of it, stronger, lasts longer, starts early, and so on.

Managing Your RLS