Mirapex to gabapentin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Mirapex to gabapentin

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is VERY good news!

I said I'd never use it again when I was doing what you are doing. I ended up using it again, though. But, not regularly. It works very well for me to rotate with opioids so that I have fewer problems with tolerance and dependence. And, I don't augment because I take it irregularly. I had to stop using it for awhile because it was causing depression, but have been using it again lately without many issues. It's nice to know that sometimes things you thought were completely out are actually possibilities.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I hope you're still doing well without Mirpaex, Kupkee. If I had been here earlier, I would have advised you to conserve your T3's til you were totally off the Mirapex, but maybe you have a good supply of them. I would also have advised you to clear your schedule and take a week or two off work. Keep taking Mg, add vitamin D (1000-4000 IU), and maybe take iron too, but check with your doctor first on all of these. And continue to stay off the coffee.

Don't try to go to bed early, that's when the symptoms are at their worst. Go to bed when you have a chance of sleeping. Even more important, avoid the Ativan unless you have a chance of sleeping. Otherwise, you're a brain-dead zombie being forced to stumble about the house - it's torture. Some people suggest that the relaxation brought on by benzos can actually trigger the WED.

Kratom is likely to be more beneficial than marijuana. If you use marijuana, avoid Indica-rich strains, choose Sativa strains. Pure Sativa would be best, but everything's a hybrid now. Indica "body-stone" strains make WED worse; Sativa "head-stone" strains seem to help.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

I got all the way to 830 at night with no symptoms. When they came on they were less intense. I think that slowly the gabapentin may do the trick. Just figure out doseage
Viewaskview don't know how you did beyond 5 days I was nuts after 3 and only preservered because I sensed a little improvement. Xmas was a blur. Last night my wife said its the first time she looked in my eyes and saw me. Gonna keep posting daily. Might be helpful to some one else. Last night I did 300 mg gabapentin at about 830. Going to play with doseage. I'm thinking split 300 am 300 pm

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Feeling depressed today. Not sure if it's gabapentin. Or mirapex withdrawal. Nothing major just a little down. Don't want to do anything

badnights

Post by badnights »

Feeling depressed today. Not sure if it's gabapentin.
Keep an eye on it, if it lasts more than two days or if it seems to flutuate according to when you take your pills then seriously consider that they might be the cause. Not sure what real advice to give, that's just my own experience with gabapentin, which might be very different from anyone else's for all I know. But if you become convinced it's the gabapentin, go to doc straight away, even go to emerg.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

I think it's mirapex. I didn't take gabapentin til about 8 pm. It does come and go. I'll keep an eye on it. Just mild but who likes depression. On a good note I have no rls symptoms during the day. Just at night. I've been using weed to get to sleep. I'll increase gabapentin but my doc didn't give me refills so I'll have to go see the a******. Things are looking up.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

No daytime issues still on 500 mg gabapentin. Just night time. Not near as bad as before. Won't be able to see doc til jan so I can't up it until I get refills

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

HANG IN THERE!!! That's about all I can say :-) Changing meds is the pits....coming off some, going on others, the whole roller coaster! Then you throw in LIFE, which has its own ups and downs (less daylight, holiday letdown, fight with one of your kids, dang boss, etc etc etc) and it is hard to keep upright!

Today, my husband and I were on a train for 2 hours. Usually a good way to travel cause I can move around. But I was having a terrible day with RLS. We got off the train (finally!!!) and I was going nuts to start walking. He was trying to figure out most efficient way to get to our daughter's apartment and I just had to MOVE. Finally I said: "Ignore me for a few, I am feeling really irritable! I just have to start walking, I don't care where". And off I went. Figured that was a safer bet than what I really felt like saying (just move your sorry a** in any direction...who gives a sh** if we go an extra block, I am going to smack something/someone in a minute!! And you need the freaking exercise anyway you lout!)

(My husband of 28 years is a great great guy, and super supportive of my RLS.)

You also have super supportive friends here on the forum. Hang in there, let us know how it is going, and know~for what it is worth~most of us have travelled this road before you and have lived to tell the tale!!

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Haven't posted in a little bit. Things are going really well. Doc upped my gab to 300 mg pills up to 4 times a day. I'm taking 600 to 900. That's 300 3 times per day. Not all at once. Glad to have this behind me. Hopefully gab wol

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Joanie - you made me laugh, I can picture the moment exactly.

kupkee - It's always wonderful to hear that things are going well :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Kupkee wrote:Haven't posted in a little bit. Things are going really well. Doc upped my gab to 300 mg pills up to 4 times a day. I'm taking 600 to 900. That's 300 3 times per day. Not all at once. Glad to have this behind me. Hopefully gab wol

Good news. Hope it continues to work a long time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

Should I be taking this throughout the day or just at night I take 900 to 1200 spaced out throughout the day now but don't seem to have many daytime issues lately

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

If you are sleeping well at night and not having any drowsiness issues (or other side effects) during the day, don't question your good luck and stick with your current schedule.

I am at the same daily doses as, but with 300 in the AM and either 600 or 900 at night. The 300 makes me a bit drowsy about an hour after I take it. The 600/900 dose almost knocks me out 60 minutes after it hits my stomach. I suspect that if I spread the pills out through the day, I would have ongoing issues with drowsiness and that it would not be quite as effective at night.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

chuas2

Post by chuas2 »

I've now had enough experience with gabapentin to say that's a definite "maybe" lol. For a few weeks, 300 mg helped, and then it didn't, but at 1200 mg, I was so woozy in the morning, I thought I'd fall into the electric third rail (Bay Area Rapid Transit). Ended up having to supplement with opioids, which I didn't want to do, but am going to keep it low dosage and continue with 300 - 600 mg of gabapentin. Fingers crossed!
Kris

badnights

Post by badnights »

The sleepy effect is stronger in some people than others. For me, it wore off after a while.