Wellbutrin is not working

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
kathleenbutts

Wellbutrin is not working

Post by kathleenbutts »

Is there any other medicine that I can take that will not increase my RLS symptons and help with my depression. The Wellbutrin is so not working on its own. I will be seeing a neurologist in a few weeks after waiting for 4 months to get a first appointment for augmentation.

I am currently taking 1.5 mg of Requip and it is not working. I hope to be able to get off of this.........but reading everything about opiads on this column is making me very apprehensive and............depressed.

Is there any hope out there??????

Polar Bear

Re: Wellbutrin is not working

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry that the Wellbrutin is not helping with your depression However, not all anti depressants will cause WED symptoms to worsen and it may be worth giving another AD a try. I take citalopram 20mg daily and have not noticed any ill effect on WED. Our dear friend Dr B has said (I think) that any depression syptoms should be dealt with and then the medication for WED adjusted accordingly if necessary.

If Requip 1.5mg is your only medication how do you take it, do you take this dose once daily. And if so have you considered splitting the dose.
Or perhaps combining it with another class of medication.

You will have options before reaching the opiods and IMO opiods are not necessarily the big horror to be feared... A responsible and understand doctor, together with a responsible WED sufferer, can make a good partnership.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

kathleen, there is an excellent webinar on WED and depression that was given by Dr Daniel Picchietti. It is on the WED Foundation's website, but you will need to be a Foundation member to watch it. He covers quite a bit of information about the treatment of depression and WED, so I think that you would fine it very informative.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd echo what Polar Bear said. While any AD MAY make WED worse, it's individual. At worst, based on one study, 20% of people had increased symptoms with one of the ADs. That's an 80% chance that you will not. And most were lower than that.

Also a great idea to watch the WED Foundation Webinar. Dr Picchietti is a dedicated doctor to the RLS/WED cause. I'd trust anything he said.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

kathleenbutts

Post by kathleenbutts »

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely watch the Webinar.

pjmccoy1

Post by pjmccoy1 »

kathleenbutts wrote:Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely watch the Webinar.

Kathleen: were you able to find another anti depressant that didn't exacerbate RLS? I'm having some strange taste issues with wellbutrin, lack of appetite and dry mouth... I've ran the gambit on trying to find an A/D that doesn't worsen my RLS. And now the pain med (low dose) may be causing some side effects after 3 months and have to stop it to see if it is the culprit.
PJ, Heaven Bound