Dopamine Agonists and Balance

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
TimG

Dopamine Agonists and Balance

Post by TimG »

I haven't been able to find anything on the forum about this topic, so am asking if anyone on pramipexole or other dopamine agonists has experienced balance problems as a side effect? I take pramipexole at bedtime only , so it should be out of my system during the day. I've experienced some balance problems in recent months, but am guessing it is for other reasons than as a medication side effect.

sleepdancer2

Re: Dopamine Agonists and Balance

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Have you checked your blood pressure when this happens? One of the possible side effects of dopamine agonists is listed as dizziness due to orthostatic hypotension. I had balance problems on Sinemet, which is a dopamine replacement med, not an agonist. I had a sense of falling when I looked down at anything lower than I was. Are you on any other meds that could contribute to your symptoms?
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

badnights

Re: Dopamine Agonists and Balance

Post by badnights »

TimG, the half-life of pramipexole is 8-12 hours so it won't be out of your system the next day. It would tend to build up over time. Say its half-life in your particular body is 8 hours. That means in 8 hrs, half of the dose you took is gone and half is still there; in 16 hours, 1/4 is still there (half of what remained), in 24 hours, 1/8 is still there, and so on.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.