Lyrica and depression??

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Joanie60

Lyrica and depression??

Post by Joanie60 »

Hey guys,

I am currently on 10mg methadone once per day. It works about 50% of the time. I asked my new doc via telephone if I could take an extra 2.5 or 5 mg on bad days, was told no. I go see her next Monday.

To tide me over, I dug out some old Lyrica. Back in the day, I tried 25mg which did nothing, then 50mg which gave me chest pain (huh???) so immediately stopped taking it. Since I dug it out again, just taking 25mg to help me thru bedtime hours, it is working but I am gaining weight and my depression has really flared. I don't know if this is because of Lyrica or not?? The weight gain is my fault, I am eating out of control, but the depression is upsetting me. I had been working really hard to lower my dose of Lexapro to help with RLS and now am back to taking 20mg to just get out of bed and to my desk.

Before I see her next Monday, I'd like to have a better handle on Lyrica and depression. What is your experience??

Thanks guys

Joanie

ViewsAskew

Re: Lyrica and depression??

Post by ViewsAskew »

All the alpha 2 delta drugs are known to cause depression - AND suicide ideation. If the latter is the case, please stop immediately! For me, they didn't cause the suicidal thoughts, just general, low-grade, chronic depression. Since it didn't really help me, anyway, with the RLS/WED, I simply stopped it. All three drugs in this category did the same thing for me. And, none really helped me with the WED - so easy choice.

It's very likely I'm physically dependent on methadone at this time. In the past, I could take it for two or three days and alternate it 2 or 3 days with pramipexole. But, I would have mood issues - likely from the constant withdrawal of the methadone. At any rate, I've been able to take 50% of my methadone dose during the week (M-T) by taking 50% of a dose of pramipexole. Then, on weekends (F-S), I take only methadone. So far, it's the best option I've tried in terms of mood. And, because I keep the pramipexole low (.125 mg) and only 4 days, I haven't had ANY issues with augmentation (and I augment fast - in about a week). I'm just glad it works, as so many of these things really cause mood issues - and like you, it's so hard to get anything done.

Not saying this is right for you, just that there may be another combo that WILL work for you - if you can get your doctor to be a bit more helpful about it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Are you just taking the Methadone only at one time at night? I have 5 mg tabs of Methadone and spread my doses out. I take one at 5 pm and another around midnight to 2 am. This is if I'm having a good period. If I'm in a bad period, I take the second one about 10 or 11 pm (bedtime). Then a third around 2 or 3 am, when ever I wake up. It ends up that I take three tabs about half the time during 30 days. For some reason, my doctor is ok with this. I guess I'm lucky. If the bad period is really bad then I will substitute the second with an oxycodone 7 mg, then take the third methadone when I wake up during the night, 3 or 4 am, depending. My husband has these. This only happens every few months. For whatever reason, it seems to help stop the bad period.
I took Lyrica back in 2010, was very suicidal and gained weight. It's an awful drug for me. I was able to take gabapentin before I took Methadone, during the time when I was trying to find the right drugs for me.
Maybe Dr. B. could have influence on your doctor. Just a thought.
Good luck. I've been there.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

My new doc, Dr Salas, in on the Dr Allen/Early Hopkins team so I would love to get 12.5 or 15mg methadone per day. Surprisingly, I find taking the 10mg Methadone in the afternoon (all at once) works better than splitting it up into 2 doses. Don't hate me (lol) but I am sleeping at night just fine. The daytime symptoms are the ones killing me. Everyone thinks I am so helpful in the office...its just that I love any excuse to jump up from my desk!!

My former doc was also in the Hopkins team but she switched me from 15-20mg oxycodone to 10mg Methadone right before she left. That was not good timing on my part. Hopefully I can work thru this with Dr Salas. I think I am deciding that, even though it works, 25mg Lyrica is just not working for me...weight gain is depressing enough but what I am feeling is a lot more than that. Not suicidal thoughts, no worries, but enough to make me realize I have to stop taking it and let the cards fall where they may. My stash is long gone, but the appointment is Monday.

I'll keep you posted but in the mean time, if anyone else has experience with depression and low dose Lyrica, I'd appreciate hearing it. I may need the encouragement to suffer the pain rather than risk the depression :-)

Thanks again guys!

Joanie

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I would take half the dose at noon, and the other half at the time you've been taking it. That way, it will start to get into your system. Just a thought. I don't remember what my dose was, but I was depressed.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was thinking like Deb - wondering if taking it earlier in a split dose would help the most.

While I don't like it, I definitely would rather suffer with WED than be depressed. At least with WED I can get things done and participate in life. When depressed, life is sort of pointless. Glad to hear no suicidal thoughts are involved.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I'll try the split dose again today!!

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

Great news from my appointment with Dr Salas. She understands totally and wrote a script for 1 to 1.5 tablets per day (10mg tablets) but put quantity as 60 tablets!! Insurance would only cover 51 (I'd happily pay for the extra nine, they are dirt cheap, but didn't feel like rocking the boat at the pharmacy).

Her concerns, which were very compassionately expressed, were that we are near the end of the road with solutions. If 15 mg methadone doesn't work, we have to go back to the beginning and start trying to add and subtract medicines that we KNOW don't work. So, as one of you mentioned, I am not trying for 100% relief...I shoot for 90% relief and consider myself lucky. I am keeping a log of dosing and it seems like the pattern of 10mg, then 15mg, then 10mg...alternating every other day, gives me the 90% relief I am looking for. I am trying (and have kept it at 10mg for several days in a row now) to NOT max out.

There is something soooo reassuring about having more than I need. I can get my stash built back up (which was down to NOTHING) and make an informed decision on 10 v 15 mg. If 10mg won't handle the situation, I am in full anxiety mode for the rest of the day and night. Having extras so I can take 15mg if needed just calms my whole self down lol.

I am so grateful and blessed to have the Hopkins team in my backyard. I think the issues I had with Dr Salas' office were centered around one of her staff, not her nor her philosophy. She admitted there is a lot of prejudice against methadone so I now have the contact person in her office to get refills without getting $(*#)$R(#.

Here's to a good night sleep my friends!!

Joanie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Joanie - great news!

One more option - I did this between 10 and 15 - I split a 5 mg in half and would try that on the tough days. Often, I didn't need the other half. It's just one more way to try and keep it down. If I needed more, I knew soon enough :-).

Managing Your RLS

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I have a couple more 5mg tablets left, I'll give that a shot.

I was having a great day, thought it was going to be my third "just 10mg" day in a row, but I went to the movies and POWZER. I don't know how much is anxiety and how much is real: this is a sudden flare-up, but I was dancing to the music till the extra 5mg kicked in. I was so grateful to have it, and be able to enjoy the movie!!

Here's to a great weekend my friends!

Joanie