Acute Sciatica and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Caitrin

Acute Sciatica and RLS

Post by Caitrin »

Hello fellow RLS sufferers,

I have been taking Gabapentin 1200 mg./night, carb/lev 50/200 and 1 mg. clonazepam for acute RLS not having to increase dosages for several yrs. I have lumbar stenosis, had fusion at L/4/L/5 7 yrs. ago and several epidurals, 3 this year, the last 2 wks. ago for severe sciatic pain. Was prescribed oxycodone 10 mg. 6 mos. ago 3 times daily and have recently decreased the dosage to once daily. After last epidural I find my RLS symptoms have increased at night and have taken extra carb/lev which does relieve the leg jerks after being out of bed for an hour. Has anyone else had both conditions and been on similar meds and taken the opoid with the other RLS meds? I thank you for your input. :(

Aipulu

Re: Acute Sciatica and RLS

Post by Aipulu »

Have you considered just using an opioid only for both your sciatica and RLS? Dr. Buchfuhrer has had quite of few patients on opioids for RLS, some on them continuously for years. He is not afraid to use opioids if you can't get relief from the dopamine agonists and gabapentin drugs. He prefers methadone but if you need oxycodone for sciatic it might kill 2 birds with one stone. I have only been reading about these as I need to get off Mirapex and some need an opioid to make the transition. My doc didn't want to give me methadone or oxycodone but his will give me Ultram (tramadol). good luck to you.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Often a dual medication approach works very well, I use an opiod (Codeine) for RLS (amongst other medications) but the codeine does not relieve the pain of arthritis and ibuprofen works best for this. Of course, ibuprofen does not help the RLS.

Caitrin - I note you mention using extra carbidopa/levadopa and also use this regularly?
This medication is also known as Sinemet and is known to work very well for RLS but is also very well known for its ability to cause a high rate of augmention. It is definitely not recommended for regular use. Possible only for random use 2 or 3 times per week.

It is also possible that your oxycodon which was prescribed 6 months ago was helping your RLS symptoms and now that you have decreased the oxycodon your symptoms are seemingly increased, causing you to add extra levadopa.

Ultram/tramadol can help with RLS symptoms and the slow release can help avoid the peaks and troughs of the medication.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Caitrin, this may not apply, so ignore as appropriate :-).

I thought I had sciatica. I didn't want to see a doctor, so I just tried to deal with it. I had symptoms for a long time and then i realized it wasn't sciatica. Yours may surely be, so if you have no doubts, this doesn't apply. If you have any doubts, it may or may not help.

I finally figured out that I have chronic myofascial trigger points throughout my body - hip and buttock is one of the worst. The pain in the buttock leading down my thigh can be unbelievably painful. I also occasionally have a frozen shoulder, often have severely painful headaches, and shoulder pain. All are trigger points. I've learned how to treat them myself. Here is a link that provides some information about it. http://www.myofascialpaintreatment.com/ ... er-points/
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Caitrin

Post by Caitrin »

Thanks to all for responding to my post. I do have lumbar spinal stenosis, spondy at L/3/L4, and disc bulging throughout lumbar spine. I had a fusion at L/4L/5 7 yrs. ago. A month ago I underwent an epidural/nerve block etc. and my sciatic pain is considerably less now. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow. He has been prescribing oxycodone 10 mg. which I take twice a day and have been on this med for several months. This med does control both my sciatic and RLS symptoms. I have been able to reduce the Sinemet (1/2) the dosage with no RLS symptoms and have also reduced the Gabapentin, 1/2 the dosage. So, yes, the low dosage oxycodone works well for me enabling me to reduce the RLS meds. I will ask my doctor to prescribe the oxycodone on a continuing basis. I don't know yet what I'll do if he refuses to continue this opoid.

Caitrin

Post by Caitrin »

P.S. ViewsAskew, Thank you for the "trigger point" link which I will read this afternoon. Caitrin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Caitrin wrote:P.S. ViewsAskew, Thank you for the "trigger point" link which I will read this afternoon. Caitrin

It may not apply at all, Caitrin. But, who knows :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.