Amitriptyline

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
18jeffries

Amitriptyline

Post by 18jeffries »

Has anyone here been prescribed amitriptyline to control their RLS?

Polar Bear

Re: Amitriptyline

Post by Polar Bear »

I was prescribed amitriptyline but not for the RLS symptoms themselves.
The lack of sleep was a big issue and the amitriptyline was reckoned to be good to help with this.
Unfortunately I didn't reel it really helped me with sleep. Also it made me feel very foggy next day and this side effect didn't ease off.
Eventually I weaned myself off it and the difference was wonderful, I was clear headed again.

However, I do know that amitriptyline does help others with sleep.
As for helping with the RLS symptoms, it is more likely that it helps you to sleep through the RLS symptoms - if you are lucky.

As us sufferers of RLS are only too aware, what works for one may or may not work for another.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It isn't considered a drug that helps RLS/WED much, and in some cases it can actually worsen it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When my GP wanted me to try the amitriptyline as a sleep aid, I refused, because it might worsen the RLS symptoms.

Eventually GP and I came to an agreement that I would try the amitriptyline for sleep and if helped my sleep but worsened my RLS he would do everything he could, using The Restless Legs *** book for guidance, to get any worsened RLS under control.

As mentioned in my previous post the amitriptyline did not help sleep and came with it's own undesireable side effects - but it did not 'seem' to worsen the RLS symptoms.

Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation