Erratic results with Gabapentin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pinkynose

Erratic results with Gabapentin

Post by pinkynose »

I started taking Gabapentin again after having had an unsuccessful 1st time experience. My dosage is very small, from 100-300 mg at night to arrest the symptoms so I can sleep.

The 1st night I tried it , it took away my symptoms almost immediately. The next night it seemed to trigger my symptoms within 1/2 hour of my taking it. It was so unreliable that I resorted to my Ambien or Xanax to put me out. After 5 days I stopped the Gabapentin.

I spoke to my doctor who said said it takes between 1 to 2 weeks for the meds to get in your system and work so I am trying again. Last night I took 200mg 2 hours before bed as prescribed. I was up watching TV and within a 1/2 hours symptoms that don't usually start until the middle of the night began. They went on for about 1 1/2 hours and stopped. But then they never came back all night.

I guess my question to you is if anyone has ever experienced this. It seems really strange and I'm not sure what to do.

ViewsAskew

Re: Erratic results with Gabapentin

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't help - sorry :-(. It didn't work well for me, but it was consistent and not working well!

I am not sure how fast it is metabolized - it may take up to an hour or so to work - many drugs do. I do know that some people have trouble metabolizing it - hence Horizant/gabapentin encarbil. You may want to try it and see if you have the same issues.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Just went to a new doctor yesterday for a routine physical and mentioned I wanted a refill of Mirapex. I am on 1mg Mirapex by prescription, and have been trying to lower the dose needed as much as possible, usually I was able to manage the condition, only with 0.5mg. As everyone knows Mirapex is a nasty drug, for me for example, it seems to lower energy level and I feel sleepy next morning.

She suggested, have you heard of Gabapentin. None of my previous doctors mentioned it. I enthusiastically said "no" - I would try anything to wean off Mirapex. So she prescribed 300mg and I took it last night and I am extatic. Worked immediately and in the morning I feel great, much better than usually on Mirapex.

I will let you know later how it goes.

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

Thanks for your replies.
Mark, I would like to hear how it goes with you as my 1st experience was the same as yours. I am glad it worked for you and I hope it continues!
carol

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

It has been almost a month and Gaba works absolutely wonderful for me. It just works, without making me feel miserable or even sleepy. The symptoms just magically don't appear. I can't believe it.

Aipulu

Post by Aipulu »

I had erratic results from using Gabapentin. It worked great as a 300 mg supplement to Mirapex. But not so well when I tried to make it my main drug. I would use up to 1200 mg and it wasn't enough. I am much happier on Horizant. I am also on the Neuro patch and I take a 50 mg og Ultram an hour before I go to bed. When I forget to take the Horizant on time I resort to Gabapentin. That doesn't work as well and I am unsure of how much to take, and timing. I strongly prefer the Horizant. I think it may only be available in the 600 mg pill so maybe that is overkill if you have moderate rls symptoms.

alaska3356

Post by alaska3356 »

I have been on Mirapex for years now: mostly the same dosage, although sometimes I need an extra .5 mg to make it through a car trip, plane trip, etc. Aipulu: you
mentioned supplementing your Mirapex with Gabapentin....is this OK to do? I have a big plane trip coming up, which I am kind of dreading, but thought I would
just take a Dramamine to knock me out. Anything to get through a ten hour trip! Thoughts, anyone?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Please do not take dramamine! It causes RLS/WED for many, many of us.

It is OK to take pramipexole and gabapentin. My doctor prescribes both - I use the gabapentin to get deeper sleep. I'd check with your doctor, of course :-).

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

Has anyone had trouble with their morning coffee after taking Gabapentin the night before? When I looked up drug interactions, coffee was mentioned.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I take a rather large dose of gabapentin each evening (1200 mg) and only recently began drinking coffee. I cannot tell any difference that the coffee has made, either decaf or regular.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

JTDoran2

Post by JTDoran2 »

I weaned off Mirapex for 20 nights, while experimenting with Gabapentin (300-600 mg). Experienced varying symptoms every night regardless of the Gaba dose. My doctor now has name back on Mirapex (125 mg) and Gabapentin (300 mg). He says the Gaba should keep me from increasing Mirapex dose. So far, he's right: 40 nights with no symptoms at all. I wonder if anyone has received similar advice, and is it working for you?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The combination of gabapentin with Mirapex (pramipexole) did not prevent me from having to increase my dose of pramipexole. I had augmentation issues at 0.375 and 0.5mg of pramipexole even though I was also taking 1200 mg of gabapentin. However, since you are only taking 0.125mg (I assume that you missed the period), the combination may be effective for you and allow you to continue at this dosage for quite a while. I wish you luck with that because I am looking at having to get off of pramipexole in the next couple of months and am not looking forward to the experience.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

JTDoran2 wrote:I weaned off Mirapex for 20 nights, while experimenting with Gabapentin (300-600 mg). Experienced varying symptoms every night regardless of the Gaba dose. My doctor now has name back on Mirapex (125 mg) and Gabapentin (300 mg). He says the Gaba should keep me from increasing Mirapex dose. So far, he's right: 40 nights with no symptoms at all. I wonder if anyone has received similar advice, and is it working for you?

I start by saying I am not a doctor. But, based on what I've learned, I think your doctor is wrong. I can't think of anything in the gabapentin that would keep you from needing to increase the dose.

I am curious - why did you stop the pramipexole in the first place? Did you augment and need more of it over time? How much did you eventually need?

I'd suggest you write to Dr Buchfuhrer - somno@verizon.net. Unless he's out of town or something, he replies in a few days.

Managing Your RLS