Neupro

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

Neupro

Post by peanut1 »

I'm trying to find another drug that I can rotate for the RLS. My doc keeps advocating for Neupro. I tried the 1 mg and it wasn't that effective, but I was able to get some sleep. So I upped it to 2 mg and then got even less sleep. To me this makes no sense. Is my dose to low? I question that since it seemed to worsen when I increased the dosage. Currently I take a combo of gabapentin and either clonazepam or lunesta along with some acupuncture herbs, but I need another drug before the RLS adapts to the gapabentin again. feedback appreciated.

Rustsmith

Re: Neupro

Post by Rustsmith »

I am currently on a combination therapy with Neupro and gabapentin. Before I started any RLS/WED treatments and during the period when I was on pramipexole, I had trouble falling asleep and would often be up until midnight or 1AM. When I switched to Neupro, I was able to fall asleep "normally", but now I wake up at 2 to 3AM. When I asked my doctor about this and told him I thought it was a side effect of the Neupro, he indicated that he thought that it was something else and did not seem too concerned even though I expressed my concern over only getting 3 or 4 hrs of sleep each night. I should add that my doctor is an RLS researcher, so he should be aware of the effects of Neupro.

Since then I have heard of other patients with this complaint and the doctors always seem to respond that this is not a listed side effect for Neupro. I am personally beginning to wonder if they didn't miss this one in the development studies of the drug.

As for your Neupro dose, 1mg is the starter dose and was quite possibly too low. The normal treatments are usually with either a 2 or 3mg patch.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

3-4 hours a night would suck! I could up the ante on the Neupro and try it. Let's say just go to 3 mg and see what happens. But I think it's highly suspicious that it got worse when I doubled the dose. There are some RLS meds that work for a lot of people, but not me such as the methadone. Got a grand total of 0 hours a night sleep when I tried it last.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Peanut - is the problem for you always that they alert you? Or do they not take away the sensations?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Do you react poorly to all opioids, or just methadone?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.