specific RLS drug that also creates a calming effect

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

specific RLS drug that also creates a calming effect

Post by peanut1 »

I figured out why most of the RLS meds don't work and why some do--thanks to Beth's post on a previous thread!!!!

I believe my primary cause is complex PTSD and unprocessed trauma which explains why the methadone made it worse since it creates a hyper effect. This also explains why the neurpo didn't work that well and it also explains why the gabapentin works great, particularly coupled with the clonazepam since both meds have a calming effect. Anyone know of another specific RLS drug that has a calming effect like gabapentin? I know they have other drugs on the list such as xanax and some of the pain meds such as vicodin have a calming effect, but I'm looking for something that better targets the RLS as my doc says many of the regular painkillers do not target the RLS and it would be great if I had something that could do both. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rustsmith

Re: specific RLS drug that also creates a calming effect

Post by Rustsmith »

Peanut, there are two other drugs in the same class as gabapentin. Horizant is a modification of gabapentin that is more easily adsorbed by the body. Once Horizant is in the blood stream, it becomes gabapentin. One of the problems with gabapentin is that it is somewhat unpredictable. One day it works well because your gut is adsorbing the entire dose and the next day it is not as effective because your bloodstream do not pick up as much from the gut so you only get the benefit of part of the pills that you took. Horizant is more completely adsorbed, so it is more predictable. Unfortunately, it is also currently much more expensive.

The other drug in this class is Lyrica. It is slightly different from gabapentin and Horizant, but is also an alpha-2-delta antagonist. It is more expensive than gabapentin, but not as much as Horizant.

Horizant and Lyrica have also been specifically approved by the FDA for treating RLS. Gabapentin does not carry the formal approval even though it is probably prescribed more frequently than the other two.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I have tried horizant and it works well, but I only take in small doses since I can easily get sick on it. The good news is that the small doses seem to work and it could be that I just need to get used to it and work up to increased doses. Sometimes I use Horizant and Gabapantin. I also appreciate you explaining how the drug works. I have not tried Lyrica, but will bring this up to the sleep neuro. thanks!

Kathy

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Kathy, I take kratom to manage my RLS symptoms and it works quite well. I also read other boards that are just about kratom--mostly on reddit-- and there are many people on those boards who use kratom for chronic pain, for PTSD, and for anxiety/depression. If you wanted to see more about that, you should go to reddit.com and then search for "kratom" and then whatever medical issue you are addressing. Kratom is an opioid-like herb that is legal, and can be ordered from the internet. Good luck!

Mary

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Yes, but how much kraon would I take? What is too little and what is too much?

I also didn't know that Lyrica is an antidepressant. I thought antidepressants made the RLS worse.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not all antidepressants make RLS/WED worse. In one study, most of them only caused problems in 2-20% of patients, with the majority of them only causing difficulty in 10% or less.

Pregabalin isn't an AD (anti depressant), but for some people, it helps resolve things such as GAD and possibly depression. Pfizer is studying how to capitalize on that and the EU recently approved it for GAD.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I put about 1/2 tsp. into some orange juice, let it sit for at least 20 minutes, and then drink it. That's one dose, and in a typical 24 hour period I probably take 6-7 doses. This is up slightly from when I started, when I took more like 4-6 doses, but that was almost three years ago, and I think the disease has progressed a little. I also may have developed a little tolerance. I had never before taken any prescription meds for RLS, however, so I had no tolerance to opioids at all, and the DA's hadn't messed up the release of dopamine in my body. You might need more, esp. if you're looking for a calming effect. All I look for is relief from RLS symptoms.