itching, histamine release

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dayandnight

itching, histamine release

Post by dayandnight »

Dr B. had me withdrawa from oxycodone because I had let it ramp up to 60 to 80 mg a day for my RLS. At that dosage the RLS was controlled but obviously the dose was too high. He had me taper down to 20 a day and then cold turkey the rest of the way. I was on 0 mg for 30 days but was having to take Requip again to handle the RLS. I augment on Requip, that's why I had to go on oxycodone originally. After 30 days of no opioid, I went back on the oxycodone at a much lower dosage but it turns out that anything over 5 mg causes me to itch for hours and keeps me awake. Before I had tapered down to 0, I had no problems with itching at all, or histamine release as they call it. And no, an antihistamine does not help at all. So now I am back on Requip, it works but we all know that it will augment in the not too distant future. Has anyone out there ever reacted with itching before and what did you do about it? Before you ask, yes I have tried ALL the other RLS drugs and for various reasons the two that that I can tolerate are oxycodone and Requip. He suggested Opana but it looks a lot like Dilauded and I can't take that because of nausea. Any ideas out there?

ViewsAskew

Re: itching, histamine release

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do - initially it was terrible. But, it eventually went away. Then it came back - years later (and also after I'd stopped for awhile). For me, an antihistamine usually helps (but I find that one works better than another - but I can't remember which is better), but doesn't eliminate it. It reduces it enough I can usually sleep - I do scratch madly at times, and sometimes wake up scratching.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

I'm just curious, is your itching localized or over large areas? I had some itching issues in the past but didn't consider meds as the source.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can say that for me it's relatively diffuse, but concentrated in certain areas. I do itch all over, but my back is worst.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dayandnight

Post by dayandnight »

The itching is all over; arms, legs scalp, torso, face. You name it, it itches.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

dayandnight wrote:The itching is all over; arms, legs scalp, torso, face. You name it, it itches.

Do you get the same sort of happiness from the scratching? it is SO satisfying, lol. :shock:

Managing Your RLS

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

yes Oxycodone makes me itch and I only take 10 mg prn. My eyes itch all the time though and I have dust and mold allergies year round.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

When I first started oxycodone and methadone I got hives for several months. Then they just went away :)
jy13131