Morphine pump & Deep Brain Stimulation questions

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stjohnh

Re: Morphine pump & Deep Brain Stimulation questions

Post by stjohnh »

Ed, a couple of other questions: How is your sleep? Do you have daytime sleepiness or fatigue? Any mental fogginess?
Blessings,
Holland

Mister_Ed

Post by Mister_Ed »

It's Jan 11th and nearly a month since the pump was installed. RLS symptoms, twitches, sleepless nights, amount of days I won the PowerBall is all the same...nothing. I have not had any RLS problem in any form. I don't know how else to describe it as a wonder treatment.

I'm hear to help anyone dealing with RLS and interested in a medication pump. I can help in hooking you up with my local Medtronic nurse/programmer. Again, it's only been a month but not a bit of RLS and no medication haze with pills.

Ed

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Congratulations, it must certainly feel like you've won the lottery.
To see you describe it as a wonder treatment says it all
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

QyX

Post by QyX »

Amazing what 1 mg of Morphine directly injected into the central nervous system can do!

Mister_Ed

Post by Mister_Ed »

Not sure why but my post aren't showing up! Hopefully this time since I feel my treatment has to be shared. The medication pump was installed on 16 Dec, I was up and walking that same day. I have not had a single RLS moment since the 16th. I'm say 100% RLS free!

If you have questions I'm more than happy! After dealing with RLS since 1999, I feel as if I have blessed by the hand of God. Honestly, I feel human again, not an old washer laying on the floor.

Mister_Ed

Re: Morphine pump

Post by Mister_Ed »

QyX wrote:Amazing what 1 mg of Morphine directly injected into the central nervous system can do!

QyX - it's amazing but 1mg a day in my spine is worth 300mg orally. Europe is light years ahead of RLS treatment and hopefully you can find help. I'm cruising down the Rhine this April to celebrate my "cure"! I will wave hi to you as we pass by :lol:

QyX

Post by QyX »

For the time being I am absolutely satisfied with my treatment.

I just wanted to point out what a big difference it can make to inject Morphine directly into the CNS.

Personally I take around 190 mg Morphine orally, 150 mg as Morphine and 8 mg as Hydromorphone together with 2.000 mg Carbamazepine.

Since I stopped drinking coffee or any drinks who include caffeine I have zero trouble sleeping.

Probably the caffeine affect me much longer then I noticed. Who knows.

Mister_Ed

Post by Mister_Ed »

My sleep has been much better. The hardest thing I've had to deal with is my nightly ritual - no longer grabbing different sleeping meds, getting in bed, facing the same direction, play the same cd, etc.

Since the morphine is directed just the one area of the spinal core, I don't have a "whole body" tiredness.

My procedure is simply a blessing after fight RLS for nearly 20 years.

Ed

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ed, so happy for you - truly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Mister_Ed

Post by Mister_Ed »

I apologize for not posting sooner about having a medication pump to fight the RLS. I’m still experiencing relief nightly! Yes, no RLS for months at a time!! I seem to get RLS symptoms after flying for a few days after the flight - not every flight but there seems to be a 50/50 chance RLS will show up for a few days.

I’m happy to answer any questions! Let’s beat your RLS with a medication pump.

Ed

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is so awesome! What I find most interesting is that you have fewer side effects, if I understand you correctly. No sleepiness, no tiredness, no being up until 3 AM cuz you are alerted?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ed - - have you had any issues not related to RLS/WED but related to having a pump in you? Going through security at an airport? Getting it refilled? etc.

(Really - no alerting ? The lack of side effects must be because the dose is so much smaller when it can be injected directly like that.)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.