Off methadone and on to oxycontine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jy13131

Off methadone and on to oxycontine

Post by jy13131 »

I have been unable to get a whole night sleep in a very long time. Prior to that very long time my RLS was as perfectly controlled as it could be using methadone, oxycodone and tramadol. But then I had a progression in symptoms and despite many different ideas working with dr B, we had to move into something else. The methadone is a PRRFECT drug for me for RLS symptoms BUT I cannot tolerate the fatigue and to get the dose to the right place I would probably be asleep nearly my whole life. So dr b said "stop the oxycodone, stop the methadone and take 2-3 oxycontine per day spaced out over 8 hours. :shock: I thought WHAAAT? But I trust him so I did it. I still trust him, but it was like going through a mini augment with a lot of hot and cold sweats and body aches for about a week. But my dose is still not right and he said to keep taking the oxycodone to fill in with symptoms. My whole life feels off and I just started a new job. It's really scary sometimes when I realize the effects these medications have on my body. But the RLS is not compatible with a quality life. So we are at second best choice here. Anyway, anyone with experience with oxycontine compared to methadone? I cannot go for more than about 4 hours currently even while taking methadone which had a very long half life. Thank you for all being here! You are my heroes
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Re: Off methadone and on to oxycontine

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have no knowledge or experience to help you - so sorry.

I also found that methadone was perfect for the RLS, but I was awake at the wrong times and asleep when I needed to be awake! Like you, I feel happy if I get second best - and how sad is that for all of us who feel that way!

At any rate, hope someone can help. BTW - are you in So Cal? I see Dr. B for my annual pretty soon and am looking forward to the So Cal weather.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I DO live in so cal. In Laguna niguel. If you need a place to stay we have a extra bedroom! Or I would love to meet you for coffee.
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So kind of you to offer! My cousin lives in San Pedro, so I stay with her each year when I go for my annual appt. Not sure of my schedule (and I have to work while I'm there), but will PM you if I have time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

When I started taking opioids for RLS, it was Oxycodone 3 times per day, 20 mg in the morning, 20 mg early afternoon and 40 mg at night.

I get dry eyes from Oxycodone. So I can't take it on a daily basis.

My opioid of choice is Morphine. Methadone scares me ...