RLS Foundation Webinar on Opiates and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rustsmith

RLS Foundation Webinar on Opiates and RLS

Post by Rustsmith »

I was just able to take a look at the RLS Foundation Webinar on "Opiates and RLS" that was presented last week by Dr. Early.

If you are taking an opiate or think that you may need to switch to one in the future, you really owe it to yourself to take an hour to sit through his presentation. He talks about the different classes of opiates, why some compounds work better for RLS than others, why there can be differences in how an opiate might work for you when another closely related compound may be completely ineffective or have too many side effects. He even talks about combined therapies using opiates and either DAs or alpha-2-delta drugs together.

In order to watch these videos, you MUST be an RLS Foundation member. However, this webinar and a couple of other past webinars are definitely worth the price of a membership.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: RLS Foundation Webinar on Opiates and RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

I have spent a very useful hour, doing my ironing whilst listening to Dr Early's webinair.
The Foundation membership fee is well worth it if only to listen to this webinair.

What I did learn was that Tramadol is indeed very weak compared to other 'opiates'.
This would explain why when 3 months ago, my Dr and I agreed to halve my dosage of SR Tramadol, I don't appear to have suffered any obvious ill effects.

I am now considering (on the basis of Dr Early's webinair) asking my Dr if we can now go for a further Tramadol reduction.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation