Opiate low level 24 hr vs treat just symptoms

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Ivan

Opiate low level 24 hr vs treat just symptoms

Post by Ivan »

I am new to using opiates OXYCODONE HCL/ACETA/5/325 3 tablets used in the evening when symptoms for RLS occur. Having a difficult time after stopping Mirapex treatments for many years! Been off them completely for 4 weeks. The study from Germany I read talks about the effectiveness of low level opiate treatment being better than treatment for symptoms. Any help would be appreciated and also the amount of opiate used . Thank you

jy13131

Re: Opiate low level 24 hr vs treat just symptoms

Post by jy13131 »

Following
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Ivan - stopping pramipexole is not any fun at all, is it.

I am not familiar with these - they are a mix of oxy and acetaminophen. If you can talk your doc into it, a straight opioid would be better - the acetaminophen is not helping and can be harmful in the long run.

My guess is that 20 mg of oxy is the max for these - and you are at 15.

I've not had much luck using this opioid, but others have. Methadone works better for me and at a lower dose. Hopefully someone who uses this drug will respond.

there are other options, depending on your perspective. Kratom is used by some of our members as is medical marijuana (MM). Another option is to try gabapentin - works well for many. You may already have tried it, though.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Dr Christopher J. Earley has just presented an excellent webinar: Opiates and RLS. You must be a foundation member to access it but the price is well worth it to be able to view webinars and read some publications. Membership costs $35 for Americans and Canadians and $45 for international. I only watched it once but will go back and view it again. Earley compares different opiods and gives advantages and disadvantages for each.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Very interesting webinar. The graph of the failure of various DAs over time compared to methadone was eye opening. I'll definitely bring that to my next doctor appointment.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

Ivan, before switching to Methadone, I was on 15mg of Oxycodone as you are, but I have symptoms 24/7 so I spread them out over the day (5mg morning, 5mg afternoon, 5mg evening). The webinar was very interesting, and certainly worth the price of membership (not to mention all the other benefits..if you are not a member I hope you will join!). Perhaps you can work on accumulating a stash of 5 or 6 pills and then experiment one weekend. Take the three pills spread out (morning, afternoon, evening) and see if you can manage nighttime symptoms. If you can't, then you can dip into your stash to sleep.

15mg at one time seems like a lot to me but maybe since you are off Mirapex you can get by on 10mg, thereby accumulating a mini stash for your experiment. Oxycodone has a short half life I believe, so I think you will know rather quickly if spreading them out will work for you! Seems like it might be easier on your body??? I don't know!

Congrats on getting off Mirapex!!