Depression....again

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Depression....again

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've had bouts with depression in the past; so far it seems to have been related to low vitamin D or side effects from medications (including what I'm taking now). This time, I'm not sure. Well, I actually thought it was likely vitamin D again, but doc thinks it may not be.

A few months ago I read about a study about vitamin D levels that made me decide to get tested again. I figured I'd just stop until I was tested and then I'd have a baseline. Then I went out of town and forgot to make an appointment, etc. The past few weeks I've had no energy and haven't wanted to do anything. But, this week...yikes. I haven't left the couch unless I had to. I've napped off an on until RLS awakens me and forces me to get up.

I finally made an appt with the doc because I needed a serum ferritin test for Dr. B. I asked for a vitamin D test, too, and explained why. Of course, a lengthy conversation later and she's testing thyroid, etc., too, to ensure it's not some other organic cause. And wrote a script for citalopram (I thought of you, PB!).

I made myself walk home (I took the bus there); actually, there was no bus when I left, so I just started walking and hoped that the walk would get some endorphins circulating and I'd feel better. When I got home, I felt no different at all. It feels outside of my control - not sure I want to take the citalopram until I get the results - but she wants me to start immediately.

I guess it can't hurt me...if the RLS kicks up, I'll just call her. And, it could help, right? Guess I'll go to bed and see how long I can sleep and not have to deal with it ;-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Re: Depression....again

Post by Sojourner »

VA, I hope you're already asleep and sleeping well. But, just wanted to say I hope tomorrow will be better than today.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Views - I'm so sorry that you are suffering so.
Yes, I have found citalopram to be very helpful on a dosage of 20mg. It does not obviously appear to have had a negative affect on my RLS symptoms, but who can be really sure.
The information leaflet that comes with the citalopram is alarming. When I was prescribed this drug I was very wary because I'd never ever taken an anti depressant before.
Dr B (think it was him) has said that if depression needs treated you should do so and deal with any increased RLS. Of course, actually doing this isn't so easy.

Only speaking for myself here - the citalopram really helped me. One day about 3 - 4 weeks after starting it..... I found myself looking forward to a planned holiday where previously I had just wished it would go away. My smile was real instead of painted on.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for the replies. Nice to come "home" to.

Would you believe this nurse or whomever at the office forgot to call it in???? I didn't go last night because I was tired and felt like crap. I asked hubby to get it for me this morning - he was meeting someone for coffee at the shop next door to the pharmacy. No script. So he went to another pharmacy, thinking he misheard me. He'd heard me correctly.

Of course, not open on Saturday, so I wait until Monday.

Had to bake a birthday pie for hubby today and go to MIL's house for birthday dinner. It was about all I could do. I have students asking for an assignment that I promised by Friday...and that I haven't done yet. Having no energy and not caring if you finish things isn't very helpful in terms of the lives most North American's are expected to maintain! I assume it's no different for many other cultures, either.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just look at how one action, or indeed inaction, ripples out and affects an entire circle.
Someone forgot to call in the prescription.
DH had to go to a second pharmacy to try to sort the situation.
You need your meds to get up and on with what needs to be done (although citalopram takes some time to work). Your treatment is delayed until after the weekend.
Another trip to the pharmacy will be required to pick up your originally ordered script which will affect the time line of that day.

Sometimes we have to dig very deeply to find that thing called enthusiasm especially for family gathered small talk.
Well done for baking hubby's birthday pie and not going for shop bought.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had a notice in my email today...I had a prescription ready. Huh. The best I can figure is that they called it in, but that it wasn't yet in the system when hubby went. I made myself walk there today - only a mile round trip - and took the first one around 5 PM. I felt significantly worse around 10 PM - but I doubt it was because I took the drug.

Here's hoping something works!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Glad you were finally able to get it.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Do you mean ... significantly worse following taking th citalopram?
I really hope it works for you.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Do you mean ... significantly worse following taking th citalopram?
I really hope it works for you.

Yes, but....it takes a few weeks to really build up, so I can't say it's related at all. I felt a bit better on Saturday and half the day on Sunday. By Sunday night - and today - any "better" was gone. I actually did do a load of laundry today and checked on one of my classes, so I guess that is better than last week when all I did was sit on the couch and binge watch Netflix.

I slept better last night than I have for awhile. I made the mistake of staying up after taking the methadone - I didn't go to sleep until about 4 AM. I've been waking up a LOT at night, sometimes with symptoms, other times just awake - usually 5-10 times a night that I'm aware of and almost always during sleep cycles. Last night I only remember awakening 3-4 times and each time I looked at the clock it was consistent with the end of a sleep cycle, so didn't seem I was waking up during cycles.

It's sunny today and close to 50 F/10 C and I keep telling myself to go for a walk but I haven't managed. Right now I think I'm ready for a nap.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope you've had another night of somewhat better sleep, we can't expect 'great' but 'good enough' would do.

Oh, yes... we'd tell someone else to go have a walk, get some fresh air and Vit D.
You've told yourself to go for a walk..... now do what you're told :)
Betty

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I do better setting tiny goals for myself..instead of a "walk", which can feel overwhelming (I'm picturing 5 miles you know), I tell myself to go to the mailbox (across the street) and try to get to the end of our street (exactly two houses away lol). Just stepping foot outside is the hardest part. But if I make it to the stop sign, that is a walk! And I feel better about myself. Sometimes I go further, oftentimes I don't. In my humble opinion, if you make it off your property, you've taken a walk :-)

Fighting depression, that is a victory and you deserve a huge pat on the back...which I send to you!!! Hang in there, we are all rooting for you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks, Joanie60 - it really is unbelievable hard to fight. The inertia - getting something started that has NO inclination to move. Yeesh.

By these standards, BTW, I walked today....I went from my front door to the street and into the rental car. Then, I walked from the parking lot into my office at school - that must be at least 500 feet :-). And, then back!

My cell phone died a few weeks ago. I haven't yet chosen a replacement. I must do at least SOMETHING today besides go back and forth to my office. As least i did grade some papers today and put up a couple assignments for a future module. And, talked a student off the ledge (the BOOHOO I am going to fail ledge) and hopefully onto the ICDI (I CAN DO IT!) platform.

Managing Your RLS

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

Sounds to me like you WORKED today!! More than that, you gave HOPE to someone!! Good heavens Ann! Take a bow, you've done a great job today :-)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Joanie60 wrote:Sounds to me like you WORKED today!! More than that, you gave HOPE to someone!! Good heavens Ann! Take a bow, you've done a great job today :-)

I need you in my life on a moment by moment basis!

Managing Your RLS

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

ViewsAskew wrote:Thanks, Joanie60 - it really is unbelievable hard to fight. The inertia - getting something started that has NO inclination to move. Yeesh.

By these standards, BTW, I walked today....I went from my front door to the street and into the rental car. Then, I walked from the parking lot into my office at school - that must be at least 500 feet :-). And, then back!

My cell phone died a few weeks ago. I haven't yet chosen a replacement. I must do at least SOMETHING today besides go back and forth to my office. As least i did grade some papers today and put up a couple assignments for a future module. And, talked a student off the ledge (the BOOHOO I am going to fail ledge) and hopefully onto the ICDI (I CAN DO IT!) platform.

“Scared is what you're feeling. Brave is what you're doing.”
― Emma Donoghue, Room

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.