Depression....again

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sojourner

Re: Depression....again

Post by Sojourner »

A little bit better is good. Hopefully, a little bit more better tonight and tomorrow. Lots of good thoughts headed your way.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks - it seems like I'm less flat - more emotion. But, still no energy. It will be two weeks on Sunday, I think. If this lethargy doesn't lift, I'm going to have to switch. I am so behind on my classes - my students need me to grade and return drafts....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It doesn't help that there is stuff calling out for attention.... wishing you all that's good.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Emotional stuff is definitely better. The eating focus has diminished, but not enough! The best thing is that I changed the time of day and it helps me sleep! It seems to counter the brain-that-has-too-many-things-going-on effect from pramipexole and the brain-that-must-finish-things of opioid use. Both of these keep me awake and/or make me awaken many times. I have only awakened 3-5 times in the last week - I usually am up at least ten and upwards of 25 times a night.

So - just midnight and I cannot keep my eyes open. Amazing.

Now, if I can just stop eating so much...and stop being SO tired when I awaken, I would almost be normal, whatever that is...

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Hope things are better for you by now. Sorry to hear you're going through this.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I do hope you have a good night, tonight.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

If you haven't seen it yet, the Foundation announced that the topic for the next webinar will be Depression and RLS. It will be held at 3PM ET on May 13. You can register at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8020069082773348353
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A great topic. I don't join the webinar but usually watch it once it is on the Foundation Web Site - it makes ironing less boring :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Anything to make ironing less boring!

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Managing Your RLS

jmg416

Post by jmg416 »

You seem so positive towards everyone who is suffering on this forum. I'm so sorry you are dealing with depression.

It's part of the reason I'm back here. Kratom started to cause significant depression for me along with a bunch of other side effects. It's amazing how much depression edits the way your mind works. It's so hard to even think that things will ever be better. I still feel like crap from the withdrawals, but wow is my mind clear for the first time in ages. But that might be the Adderal that I was unable to take with the kratom due to horrific headaches.

So I guess the point I'm slowly getting to is maybe the opioids are having a negative impact on you. Not sure what you could do to fix that, but I hadn't noticed that anyone else mentioned it.

All the best to you. I'm hoping you are doing better already since you last updated this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry you are having a tough time, jmg416. Hope it continues to improve. And, thanks for your warm thoughts - always nice.

Interestingly, the opioids are the least of the issues - at least related to mood. The pramipexole is what causes mood issues for me. I've dealt with it before..but, this time seems more organic, consistent, and intractable. It was slow to creep up and wasn't time/dose related. I alter my doses of drugs regularly - no pramipexole on weekends, 1/5 of my opioid dose during the week. In the past, I could tell when I stopped the pramipexol that my depression would lift, and would worsen when I went back on it. I stopped it for a few months and the depression stopped completely.

The good news is that after awhile of taking the AD that I'm in a much better place. I'm not swinging from the rafters, but I can get of the couch and I'm taking more than one shower every 7-10 days :-). But, I'm also stopping the AD - I started tapering last night. There are two side effects I cannot live with. As with pramipexol, this drug affects my ability to orgasm - a side effect I never want again if there is an alternative. Also, most days I am like a ruminant animal - grazing the entire day. I've gained almost ten pounds and cannot afford that. I'd lost 25 and needed to lose more. This is not helping.

So, guess we'll see. I am going to taper very slow - I seem to be one who has trouble stopping things, so am cutting it by a quarter of a pill for a week. Then a half. If I have trouble, I'll make a suspension solution and do it that way.

Managing Your RLS

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Views, et al, Depression has not been one of the symptoms I have had to deal with in my life so far whether it be medication related or not. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to appreciate, though I try, the challenges depression sufferers face. I can, however, marvel at the strength and courage they exhibit to deal with and overcome this disease. I wish you all some peace and comfort this night.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Many years ago while my RLS was so mild that I only noticed it while on airplanes, I would occasionally struggle with depression. That was until I found that running "cured' my depression, presumably via the endorphins produced thru running.

During the last two months, my moods seem to have been spiraling downhill, so much so that last Sunday I wasn't to the point of attempting suicide, but the idea was starting to sound attractive. I knew that it had something to do with the combination of four meds that I was taking for my RLS, but I had no idea which one was responsible. I was finally able to get through to my doctor on Monday afternoon to discuss what to do. We suspect that a recent increase in my methadone from 5 to 7.5mg was responsible, so I went back to 5mg and changed the time of day that I take it. She did not think that gabapentin was responsible simply because I have been on that dose for at least 3 yrs. She also suggested that I stop using MMJ with the thought that although it helps me sleep, it might have been interacting with the methadone.

It has only been five days since the changes. My moods seem to have improved, but my sleep is now much more fractured than it was. She had me increase the gabapentin from 900 to 1200 as a replacement for the MMJ, but that not work. The increased gabapentin was producing a constant headache that felt like internal pressure in my head, very similar to what I think of as the altitude sickness I get when running too hard for too long at increased elevations. So I had to drop back to the previous 900mg. I have taken 1200mg before without issues, so the gabapentin has to be interacting with one of my other meds.

So now I just need to muddle through until my next appointment in late August. I am now almost certain that I will be scheduled for a new sleep study. I also suspect that there will be additional changes, possibly dropping that pramipexole that currently limits my PLMS and adding clonazepam to help me stay asleep after the gabapentin wears off.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Oh Steve, I've been there. I know how you feel. With me lyrica did it. Even the last two months have been difficult. I'm glad you got a hold of the doctor. I hope the changes help. Chalk this up to being one of those very difficult times. I just kept thinking about my family. You are a strong person, and I believe you can get through this too. Prayers for you.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I now have an appreciation for why the studies find that married men live longer. If not for thoughts of my wife and what I went through when I almost lost her to an accidental overdose, it would have been so easy to down a handful of methadone and a couple of shots of gin.
Steve