4 mg. Ropinerole Extended Release

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
QyX

Re: 4 mg. Ropinerole Extended Release

Post by QyX »

Stainless wrote:
What to do now? A new doctor, a new med, back to the old med? I'm very frustrated and it is 3 months until I see a doctor again. Rick

I would look for a doctor who is willing to prescribe opioids for RLS. He doens't need to prescribe high potent ones like Oxycodone or Morphine. Codeine, Tramadol or Dihydrocodeine also work at the beginning very well and maybe you can rotate between low potent opioids and DAs?

Please note: Tramadol also inhibits the reuptake of serotonine. So in some cases Tramadol can worsen RLS.

I would prefere Dihydrocodeine because there are long and short acting pills available. It's also a cheap drug and double as potent as Codeine or Tramadol.

In Berlin I had to look for over an year until I finally found a doctor who was willing to prescribe opioids and when I lived in south Germany, I had to drive over 80 km to see my doctor. I know it is hard and difficult to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe opioids for RLS but I think it is really worth it.

I've tried Lyrica and Gabapentin before I went on opioids but I had horrible side accepts. I couldn't believe this drugs had so many side effects so I tried them over and over again.

And even if they work, they normally don't work as a monotherapy so the only real way to overcomve augmentation is going on opioids and avoiding DAs. Not that I hate DAs but sooner or later they cause so many problems.

DAs made me aggressive and impulsive. I got very sensitive to noises and after they stopped working, symptoms came back double and tripple as worse as before.

I think DAs only should be taken if you need them or irregular, like 1-3 times per week because augmentation will hit you. It is just a matter of time.

When you have daily symptoms, low potent opioids and antiepileptics should be 1st line treatment. (This is my personal opinion)

Okay, with this new opioid prescription guidelines in the U.S. .. probably most people will try to get the maximum from DAs before even to start thinking about taking an opioid.

What a mess. In Germany Oxycodon (but not any other opioid) is offically approved for RLS as 2nd line treatment when DAs didn't work. But because of Oxycodone is such an expensive opioid, insurance companies won't care if doctors use any other opioid.

And as for the guidelines: because Oxycodone is offically approved for RLS, it is generally accepted that opioids are an approbriate treatment for RLS. So no doctor has to worry when prescribing opioids for RLS. Of course not every doctor knows about this and likely the majority of the doctors would avoid prescribing an opioid as long as possible.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Stainless wrote:Has anyone out there had success with extended relief DAs? I'm up to 2 mg. regular ropinirole but 4 mg. seems to invite augmentation regardless of how it is administered. I may be augmenting now based on when symptoms start but that changes day to day. Last night RLS kicked in early so I took a mg. early to go out with friends only to pass out sitting up at dinner.

I only quit benzos because of fear of Alzheimer’s, not because anything I experienced. But I do think there are consequences to taking them and would not be surprised if it increases your chances for this horrible disease.

What to do now? A new doctor, a new med, back to the old med? I'm very frustrated and it is 3 months until I see a doctor again. Rick

I can imagine how frustrating it is. I think I'd go for new doctor.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I finally filled the script for 4 mg. ER. Best I have felt in 9 month. Just a slight touch of RLS in early evening so far. I slept well, if a little choppy last 2 nights. I surfed some fun waves last two mornings and felt great. I hope this lasts a while.

Most significantly the physical pain in my thighs disappeared. I talked about this in a previous post. Dull muscle pain turning to shooting pains to pins and needles. Never debilitating but started to get me down. I asked the neurologist about it and got a shrug. I seemed to happen when the standard ropinirole wore off. When I took a dose it slowly disappeared.

The mail order pharmacy finally refunded the three month supply that sticker shocked me. I just had to be persistent with them. Now it costs $100 a month at Walmart. That's 50 times what generic ropinirole cost me. So it goes.

I'm not sure how long this will last but I am going to enjoy it while I can. My RLS started anytime from noon until 10 pm the last few months on standard ropinirole. I had resolved myself to go back on Clonazepam but would love to put that off. Rick

QyX

Post by QyX »

Benzos short term a great.

Benzos long term normally come with a lot of problems.

I hope the 4 mg Ropinirole work a while.

Before I started taking opioids I tried managing my diseases with DAs and other drugs as long as possible. I had to. Otherwise I would have never been able to forgive me when I started taking opioids to fast and then something went wrong, like addiction or dose escalation with tolerance.

I had to be sure that taking opioids is my last choice.

Looks at least your neurologist knows what she is doing.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

I am sorry you didn't have a chance to talk about opiates. I pay for my methadone "out of pocket" and it ranges from $20-$32 per month for 60 tablets of 10mg. (I take 1 1/2 tablets per day and save the rest). Ironic that the best medicine for me is also, by far, the cheapest.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I thought I would check back in after a month on 4mg ropinirole ER. Some days are great, hardly a twinge of RLS and little to no thigh pain, sleep a good 6 or 7 hours and feel healthy. Other days medium RLS starts mid afternoon and runs until asleep or later and medium thigh pain most of the time, only 4 or 5 hours sleep. My thigh pain is much less than on generic ropinirole that comes on as the dose faded and I believe is totally neurological. Funny thing is distraction seems to be the best medicine. I drove 4 out of 8 days over five hours with no issue which would have been difficult any time over last 30 years. On vacation I had very few issues. As soon as I got home they spiked. I've been exercising much more with no effect good or bad with respect to RLS or pain. Better than anything else the last six plus months, I ordered another 30 day script for $100 but as symptoms seem to be coming on earlier, I doubt this level of relief will last. Rick