Naltrexone (LDN)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stjohnh

Naltrexone (LDN)

Post by stjohnh »

I am going to test naltrexone today.

Google search shows anecdotal reports of good improvement in RLS symptoms scattered throughout the cloud. However, LDN has a large cult-like following making getting good info hard. Some claims it cures HIV and cancer. Most common use that seems believable is for MS.

My regular meds are Neupro patches in the morning and kratom plus gabapentin at night.

Leaving off the Neupro this morning and will try naltrexone when legs start jumping.

Moderator EDIT: See also viewtopic.php?p=83891#p83891 and preceding 11 posts, which formed the beginning of this discussion.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Re: Naltrexone (LDN)

Post by Polar Bear »

It will be interesting to hear how your transition goes, good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Short version, my trial was inconclusive.

Long version:
The day before my real trial I tried taking a couple of doses of naltrexone when I had a little bit of that jumpy legs, it seemed to help. I had a full trial two days ago, I left off my Neupro patch that morning and that evening took Naltrexone 6 milligrams. An hour or so later I didn't have much relief so I took another six milligrams. Still no relief, so I took 1.5 grams of kratom, I repeated that at hourly intervals for a total of 3 kratom doses. I didn't get much relief from my jumping legs from that amount of kratom so in desperation to get some sleep I took .125 milligrams of Mirapex, and was able to go to sleep an hour or so later.

Unfortunately the combination of three doses of kratom so close together and the Mirapex put my intestines to sleep and I had a 36-hour period in which I was unable to eat anything due to my intestines going to sleep. I was nauseated continuously during that time and felt miserable.

The next two nights I went back to a routine of morning Neupro patch without the evening Kratom or Gabapentin as I did not want to make my intestinal problems worse. The Neupro ordinarily controls my jumpy legs fairly well, however does not make it possible for me to sleep without taking gabapentin at bedtime. I did not take the gabapentin during the two nights I was fasting. I was impressed at how well I slept for those 2 nights while I was fasting, and as such has reignited my curiosity about ketogenic diets.

Anyway, in retrospect I should have known that stopping the DA abruptly was asking for trouble. So, as far as whether naltrexone helps or not, I consider this an inadequate trial.

I know that ketogenic diets cause a very large number of changes in the body's metabolism, also it seems reasonable to me that our bodies are designed to work in a ketogenic mode at least periodically. I am overweight, so losing weight, which ordinarily occurs with all ketogenic diets, would be good for me in any case. I have ordered some urine Ketone test strips so I can tell when I am in ketosis. There are numerous posts on this forum about the advantages of various forms of ketogenic diets helping to partially or completely control RLS symptoms.
Blessings,
Holland

QyX

Post by QyX »

Hey,

the kratom wont work when you take it together with Naltrexone because Naltrexone as an opioid antagonist will block the effects of Kratom who is a weak opioid agonist. So you have to decide: either you take Naltrexone or you take Kratom but both won't work.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

QyX wrote:Hey,

the kratom wont work when you take it together with Naltrexone because Naltrexone as an opioid antagonist will block the effects of Kratom who is a weak opioid agonist. So you have to decide: either you take Naltrexone or you take Kratom but both won't work.

Well, kratom stimulates the mu-opiate receptor and naltrexone blocks mu and most other opiate receptors. Blockade is competative, meaning the ratio of the naltrexone to kratom will determine the net effect. While kratom is a weak agonist, the naltrexone dose I took was very low and I took several kratom doses, which, judging by the good effect on my jerky legs, was enough to overcome the naltrexone effects.

Opiate agonist antagonist interactions are much more complex than "one cancels out the other."
Blessings,
Holland