Stopping Tramadol, Starting Gabapentin,.

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
TucsonGirl

Stopping Tramadol, Starting Gabapentin,.

Post by TucsonGirl »

I am discussing with my doctor discontinuing Tramadol and starting Gabapentin instead. The Tramadol has worked well for seven years. However, in the last six months I have developed severe itching, which keeps me up at night. Also, and not a trivial concern, is the obstacles to obtaining Tramadol in the U.S. With the new rules about opioids, it is a hassle for me and my doctor to prescribe Tramadol. I take 150 mg daily, in the evening to prevent the RLS from happening. It always works.

I have researched the options for RLS, and think I want to try Gabapentin. For those who use it, will I be able to dose just once a day in the evening? My symptoms are at night only, but very severe. I have RLS in both legs and my arms. It keeps me moving, sobbing, screaming, and miserable for about 5 hours every night with treatment.

My other concern is changeover. How to switch from the Tramadol to the Gabapentin? Cold turkey on the Tramadol, and start Gabapentin?

I would appreciate any input you may have.

jul2873

Re: Stopping Tramadol, Starting Gabapentin,.

Post by jul2873 »

Since the Tramadol is working, kratom may work for you as well, since it activates the same receptors. I've been taking it daily for three years and get very, very little itching--not enough that I could even call it a side effect. There are a lot of threads on kratom, if you use the search box. Good luck to you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You are possibly physically dependent on the tramadol -please consider that when you switch. I wouldn't stop cold turkey just in case.

I haven't used gabapentin successfully so unsure of how to take it in the most effective way. Hope someone else responds.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

TucsonGirl wrote:I am discussing with my doctor discontinuing Tramadol and starting Gabapentin instead. The Tramadol has worked well for seven years. However, in the last six months I have developed severe itching, which keeps me up at night. Also, and not a trivial concern, is the obstacles to obtaining Tramadol in the U.S. With the new rules about opioids, it is a hassle for me and my doctor to prescribe Tramadol. I take 150 mg daily, in the evening to prevent the RLS from happening. It always works.

I have researched the options for RLS, and think I want to try Gabapentin. For those who use it, will I be able to dose just once a day in the evening? My symptoms are at night only, but very severe. I have RLS in both legs and my arms. It keeps me moving, sobbing, screaming, and miserable for about 5 hours every night with treatment.

My other concern is changeover. How to switch from the Tramadol to the Gabapentin? Cold turkey on the Tramadol, and start Gabapentin?

I would appreciate any input you may have.

I would agree that tapering down from the tramadol is a good idea but I believe that to be true with just about any medication. I have been a long time user of gabapentin and was up to 2400 mg before it no longer seemed helpful. Tried Lyrica for a bit but developed tremors. Now, I am back on gabapentin 800 to 1200 mg. but am supported by hydrocodone. Not perfect but..
I only use the gabapentin/hydro. in the evening when I attempt to go to sleep. Sleep never comes but the symptoms are reduced until sleep comes usually about 3 am or so--if it does.

Whether or not you can just use the gabapentin once in the evening will depend on you. We're all different. You're doctor or pharmicist can give you better advice on starting, stopping, or combining the two meds. I'm wondering that if you can reduce the tramadol enough so that the itching diminishes or stops and keep some tramadol with that as a cocktail that perhaps that may be something to try. I have had very little, if any, side effects from the gabapentin and wish I did experience some of the sleepiness that effects others.

I wish you good luck in making the transition.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

Thank you. Part of this transition is to d/c the Tramadol completely at some point. It has become such a hassle to get it. For me and my doc to prescribe. However, if nothing else works, I will put up with the hassle. I can't live with have RLS every night.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

TucsonGirl wrote:Thank you. Part of this transition is to d/c the Tramadol completely at some point. It has become such a hassle to get it. For me and my doc to prescribe. However, if nothing else works, I will put up with the hassle. I can't live with have RLS every night.

Indeed - they wouldn't ask a diabetic to not use insulin, yet somehow we're asked not to use the only medications that keep us somewhat sane!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jaybird8

Post by jaybird8 »

I transitioned from Mirapex to Gabapentin last August. Will stick to my experience with Gabapentin for this post. It has been moderately effective for me. I have had to up my dose on it roughly every month. Started out on 300mg and am now on 2100mg 9 months later. It is not like Mirapex where my symptoms continued to augment, instead I just think my body gets used to it and requires more. So, still glad to be off Mirapex but am beginning to realize that Gabapentin is not a long term answer. I don't want to dose any higher because I know that will just lengthen the step down to get off of it. Not sure what the next option is for me, but will need to choose that course soon. Best of luck!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Several of us have talked about needing to increase gabapentin over time. For me, it was every 4-5 days until I maxed out and then it simply didn't work.

Managing Your RLS

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

After some research, I have decided to try Horizant, a pro-drug of gabapentin. It will arrive from my mail order pharmacy tomorrow. I will let everyone know how the transition goes...

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

Day two of switching from Tramadol 150mg at night to Horizant 600 mg at 5pm.
I am tapering off the Tramadol, now taking 100mg at night with the full dose of Horizant. The first night was great, no problems. In the morning I felt a little spaced out, but not bad. Night two, I had restless arms. Very uncomfortable. Lasted about 4 hours. After that I was able to sleep. Felt fine in the morning. I am not having the extreme grogginess many people have with Horizant. Hoping the restless arms won't continue.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tramadol is the only non-dopaminergic to cause augmentation. RLS in the arms is very often part of augmentation. Could be a bit worse before it gets better. Hang in there!

Managing Your RLS

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

I agree the RLS was most likely from long term use of Tramadol. I am unable to take a nap during the day due to my arms starting to ache after only about 10 minutes. Which was no fun when I had the flu for two weeks and could not lie down.

When I am completely off the Tramadol I hope eventually my arms will not ache.

Night three went great, the only issue is not falling asleep until around 2am. But I am comfortable, which counts for a lot!

yawny

Post by yawny »

Being comfortable definitely counts for a lot...I sometimes have insomnia and the OTC supplement, Passionflower, works for me. It takes about an hour to start working but then I start to relax both physically and mentally, and I'm sleeping. It only lasts about 3 hours for me and I already have MM in my system. My mom is detoxing/tapering off of benzos right now and gets insomnia so I suggested it and it works for her too. I use the Gaia Herbs brand because I trust them. http://amzn.to/26Ibzhw

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

Thanks for the herbal info.

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

After tapering down to only 50mg of Tramadol while starting Horizant, I had terrible RLS. In addition to insomnia from the Horizant. After several nights of constant movement and not being able to sleep, I gave up on trying to switch from Tramadol to Horizant. My husband begged me take Tramadol at full strength (for me, 150mg) so we could both get some sleep.

I will be contacting my doctor and telling her the switch failed, and go back on the Tramadol.