Hormone Replacement Therapy

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mapleleaf

Hormone Replacement Therapy

Post by mapleleaf »

I am 56 yrs old and going through the lovely cycle of menopause and am dealing with all the symptoms of this process. Alot of the symptoms are as bad as the ones I suffer with my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) depression, anxiety, mood swings, terrible hot flashes, and symptoms of my RLS like insomnia, depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings, etc. etc.
So I have decided after much research and discussions with my family dr. to start HRT at a very low dose once a day. Today is day one and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before I see any difference.
My questions for the group: is anyone else on HRT? Did it exacerbate their RLS? Can you tell me if it helped you? I am looking for any and all input.

Thank you so very much!

stjohnh

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy

Post by stjohnh »

I don't know the answers to your questions, but, since it is known that RLS occurs more frequently in pregnant women, hormone status almost certainly affects RLS in some way.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I did an internet search and it seems that some HRT can worsen RLS in some people, other HRT is not a problem to some people.
Seems to me like a case of trial and error.
We are all so different and react differently to medications.
I wish you luck and hope this helps you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I went through menopause about 20 years ago and couldn't have survived without HRT. This was before the media scare about HRT.
My RLS started about the same time but I don't think there was any cause and effect with the HRT as RLS runs in my family.
Good luck.

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

I was on it for a couple mth didn't notice much difference in RLS, but I was taking Mirapex. I stopped hormones because I didn't know if it was causing wt gain and I developed an ovarian cyst, my Gyn said it may not be because of hormones that Menopause causes wt gain.